SASS Wire Forum

M1 Garand

Long Branch Louie

Shot my old Garand today for the first time in a long while. I've got some old Lake City stuff that still shoots just fine. At just over a 100 yards, I could cover my 5 shot groups with my hand. Figured that ain't bad for an old fart thru a peep sight with bi-focals. Helps that they are fine old rifles... :D

I've shot most of the new battle rifles one one base or another. Not in the military unfortunately they wouldn't let a guy who's had his back broke and severe lung damage fight. But as a independant contractor. My of my previous job we built stuff for the bases. Anyway I can say I'm really un impressed with what they use.

One very fortunate? Day I was on the range at fort hill and an old retired vet came over to where we were playing with the poodle shooters. After a bit of conversation he pulled out a really battered gun case. In which was an equally battered m1. Then he proceeded to punch itty bitty groups in a target one hundred yards distant. After he was done he let me shoot it and told some stories from when he was in service.

I have always thought my generation gives too little respect to that generation. Talking to him was one of the highlights of my life and that rifle was amazing.

If I can ever afford one I will definitely get one. I can't say the same for a black gun. I have absolutely no desire to own one of those

M1 man sized rifle man sized round mad a man out of the scared boys issued it. Just my humble opinion I hope I didn't offend anyone

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

The M-1 is a classic rifle.

But it's weight and low capacity make it obsolete for the battlefield today.

Sure is fun though.

The M-1 is a classic rifle.

But it's weight and low capacity make it obsolete for the battlefield today.

Sure is fun though.

Solved some of those problems with the M14 which was in use when I was doing my duty. I really liked the M14 and it really shot well.

Solved some of those problems with the M14 which was in use when I was doing my duty. I really liked the M14 and it really shot well.

The M-14 was an excellent reach-out and-touch-someone rifle.

Still very long and prohibitively heavy though. I'd hate to have the troops humping them in the Afghan mountains and across the desert.

I've shot most of the new battle rifles one one base or another. Not in the military unfortunately they wouldn't let a guy who's had his back broke and severe lung damage fight. But as a independant contractor. My of my previous job we built stuff for the bases. Anyway I can say I'm really un impressed with what they use.

One very fortunate? Day I was on the range at fort hill and an old retired vet came over to where we were playing with the poodle shooters. After a bit of conversation he pulled out a really battered gun case. In which was an equally battered m1. Then he proceeded to punch itty bitty groups in a target one hundred yards distant. After he was done he let me shoot it and told some stories from when he was in service.

I have always thought my generation gives too little respect to that generation. Talking to him was one of the highlights of my life and that rifle was amazing.

If I can ever afford one I will definitely get one. I can't say the same for a black gun. I have absolutely no desire to own one of those

M1 man sized rifle man sized round mad a man out of the scared boys issued it. Just my humble opinion I hope I didn't offend anyone

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

Look into CMP (http://www.odcmp.com/) and see if you qualify to buy from them. The current batch of M1's are in great shape. I just bought my second M1 rifle, a Service Grade, and it shoots very well. All the guns these days have been depot rebuilt at least once, so the parts are a mix of manufacturers. But they are still Garands.

Still very long and prohibitively heavy though. I'd hate to have the troops humping them in the Afghan mountains and across the desert.

The M14 has a new life as the M14 EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle) and is being issued to special forces and designated marksmen in Afghanistan. Internally it's pretty much the same rifle as before, but heavily modified externally. They found they needed its range and hitting power for fighting in the mountains. 3lbs heavier than the original, so it's still no lightweight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

The M14 has a new life as the M14 EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle) and is being issued to special forces and designated marksmen in Afghanistan. Internally it's pretty much the same rifle as before, but heavily modified externally. They found they needed its range and hitting power for fighting in the mountains. 3lbs heavier than the original, so it's still no lightweight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

Also, the army is re-emphasizing marksmanship training these days due to the expanded battlefield ranges. The 5.56mm just won't do the jpb long range. That's why they trotted the M14 platform out again.

Bottom line is that there is no perfect all-purpose combat rifle yet.

Well guys

After visiting with some of the guys coming back , most tell me they would rather get thair butt kicked by the 14 due to better range and lots better performace down range .

I was trained with both and perfer the hammer to an icepick .

REMNBER to Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way .

CB

The M1 Garand is a great rifle. I have got to get out and shoot mine again sometime. My M1 was made in February of 1943.

As far as I can tell, mine was made in 52 or 53. My dad was 160lbs. and about 5'6". I marvel at how he and those like him carried their rifle and all their other gear in WWII. Guess that's why I bought one, it's in great shape and they were only $250.00 when I got it through CMP.

I've got a couple of Garands myself, one made in March 1945 that still has the original barrel, and the other made in January 1941 that had its barrel replaced in 1969. Both are great shooters. I just wish they could talk and tell me their stories.

Shot my old Garand today for the first time in a long while. I've got some old Lake City stuff that still shoots just fine. At just over a 100 yards, I could cover my 5 shot groups with my hand. Figured that ain't bad for an old fart thru a peep sight with bi-focals. Helps that they are fine old rifles... :D

========================================================

I've got about 1000 rounds left of some de-linked Korean War vintage .30 cal. machine gun ammo with various headstamps, all non-corrosive, that I bought a few years back at a decent price. Great stuff, it all goes bang in ny Garands. Wish I could find some more.

Mine was made in 1957. Some of the last to be produced. It is a Springfield on the receiver, but I suspect that like USA it has many parts within.

As a young man that M1 did not feel all that heavy in my hands. Having trained with it, it became a part of my body. I feel that the BS used to sell the M16 to the military is just that, BS. But that is my opinion.

I did not serve in Vietnam and so I do not have the experience of those that did and I defer to their experiences.

I do find a great deal of outrage at the fact that our troops are not outfitted with the best possible arms, when called on to serve. The brass never seems to understand that the game is won by the folks doing the fighting.

OK, my rant is over. I do like my M1 Garand.

I do like my 1911 A1.

I don't have an M29 .81mm mortar.

I don't think anyone can dispute that in it's day the M-1 was the finest battle rifle in the world.

Patton thought so anyway. :FlagAm:

The troops that are carryin' them now aren't complainin' :lol:

http://discovermilitary.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/M14.jpg

Anyway regarding the Garand - one of the most balanced rifles ever IMHO!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Agree with what Utah has said. To me the M14 was the best weapon made. The M1 and M14 would be the greatest for the battlefields of WW1 and WW2 and Korea. But the battlefields of today from Vietnam on seem to be confined (jungle), house to house (middle east) or hot arid, sandy areas, making it tough on the equipment and men to carry cumbersome weapons.

As heavy and reliable as both the M1 and 14 are, their weakness is in the exposed operating rod, dropped, gravel, or damage would make these quickly inoperable.

Good to see the military is finally emphasising marksmanship rather then firepower. MT

Well, I respectfully disagree with part of your statement, Marshal.

The small .22 caliber round does not make a whole lot of sense to me in a mountain and plain environment.

I don't think that it makes a lot of sense in a jungle environment either, but that could be just me.

I don't think that the personal ammunition preferences of our NATO friends should determine the safety of our fighting men.

With the exception of our English friends, we seem to be the ones that are called on the most to do the fighting.

There have been a lot of very interesting and more robust cartridges that have been developed since the appearance of the M16. IF the upper echelons of the military really wanted to develop a new shoulder weapon for the infantry and Marine Corp. it would happen.

The argument for the tumbling round and maximum damage does not impress me. You have to have penetration to achieve these lofty goals. Cases have revealed that sometimes the bad guys eat several pills

before they go down. A trooper could get killed in a situation like that. Not good.

Well, I respectfully disagree with part of your statement, Marshal.

The small .22 caliber round does not make a whole lot of sense to me in a mountain and plain environment.

I don't think that it makes a lot of sense in a jungle environment either, but that could be just me.

I don't think that the personal ammunition preferences of our NATO friends should determine the safety of our fighting men.

With the exception of our English friends, we seem to be the ones that are called on the most to do the fighting.

There have been a lot of very interesting and more robust cartridges that have been developed since the appearance of the M16. IF the upper echelons of the military really wanted to develop a new shoulder weapon for the infantry and Marine Corp. it would happen.

The argument for the tumbling round and maximum damage does not impress me. You have to have penetration to achieve these lofty goals. Cases have revealed that sometimes the bad guys eat several pills

before they go down. A trooper could get killed in a situation like that. Not good.

Bear in mind that the NATO standard was 7.62X51. That's why the M-14 was built in that caliber. The 5.56 was our baby,

Now, the M-16 platform has been a proven performer for over 40 years. It's obviously time to change and to a better caliber.

I saw a feller run quite a ways after taking a direct hit with a 50 cal. I bleeve he was on some chemical enhancement based on what we found in packs. The 7.62 vs 5.56 argument was moot in his case. (he was pretty much moot to after a few minutes)

And don't get me started on the upper echelons of the military. They're always prepared to fight the last war. :rolleyes:

Hopefully a new reliable, hard hitting rifle will be in the offing in the near future. But the M-1/ M-14 platform won't be it for general issue.

Bear in mind that the NATO standard was 7.62X51. That's why the M-14 was built in that caliber. The 5.56 was our baby,

Now, the M-16 platform has been a proven performer for over 40 years. It's obviously time to change and to a better caliber.

I saw a feller run quite a ways after taking a direct hit with a 50 cal. I bleeve he was on some chemical enhancement based on what we found in packs. The 7.62 vs 5.56 argument was moot in his case. (he was pretty much moot to after a few minutes)

And don't get me started on the upper echelons of the military. They're always prepared to fight the last war. :rolleyes:

Hopefully a new reliable, hard hitting rifle will be in the offing in the near future. But the M-1/ M-14 platform won't be it for general issue.

Well, I certainly hope that your prediction is true. It is just not acceptable to me that our fighting troops should not have what they need. I guess that the powers that be don't really give a big rat's behind what I

think.

Well, I certainly hope that your prediction is true. It is just not acceptable to me that our fighting troops should not have what they need. I guess that the powers that be don't really give a big rat's behind what I

think.

I know some folks involved in research and development. They tell me some very interesting designs are being looked at but that's all they can tell me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't fret too much over our troops being ill equipped. They are still the best equipped and trained in the world and kick ass daily.

Agree with what Utah has said. To me the M14 was the best weapon made. The M1 and M14 would be the greatest for the battlefields of WW1 and WW2 and Korea. But the battlefields of today from Vietnam on seem to be confined (jungle), house to house (middle east) or hot arid, sandy areas, making it tough on the equipment and men to carry cumbersome weapons.

As heavy and reliable as both the M1 and 14 are, their weakness is in the exposed operating rod, dropped, gravel, or damage would make these quickly inoperable.

Good to see the military is finally emphasising marksmanship rather then firepower. MT

Guess the military missed that 'memo' when they decided to bring back the M14 to the theater. The troops love it ;)

More info can be found surfin' this website:

http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/

I know some folks involved in research and development. They tell me some very interesting designs are being looked at but that's all they can tell me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't fret too much over our troops being ill equipped. They are still the best equipped and trained in the world and kick ass daily.

Don't need folks in research and development to tell ya these things. Look at what the Military Channel shows us...and that's just what is allowed to be revealed to the public...and even that stuff is impressive.

Don't need folks in research and development to tell ya these things.

Yes I do. :D

But enough of our hijacking..back to the subject.

The M-1 Garand. :wub::lol:

Ode to the M-1

I think that I shall never see

A battle Rifle sweet as thee

From Normandy to far Saipan

You proved you were in fact The Man

Your 30 caliber barking muzzle

Led those Huns and Nips to puzzle

How is it they can shoot so fast?

Perhaps we've met our match at last.

From Alamein to Eagles Nest

This spear of freedom did not rest

Until the threat at last had passed

and tyranny had breathed it's last

But once again you charged ahead

To Inchon's shores so filled with dread

And at the Chosin Reservoir

You fought and once more raised the bar

And on around the world today

Your fame yet lives as brave men say

"Give me an M-1 loaded well

And we will march on straight to Hell"

:FlagAm:

Always good posts when these firearms are brought up and discussed. We'll probable never see service rifles built as sturdy and last as long into and many times used beyond their productions as we will the 1903s, M1 Garands, and M14s. MT

AND the P17 Enfields. Gotta love them too. :)

Only if it's the right people - ;)

And they are. ;)

Archived