SASS Wire Forum

American made SxS

Well I shoot the Following Made in the USA guns ,,,,,, None are newer than 60 years old ... Winchester Model 24 , Stevens 235 (hammered) and Two Stevens 311-A ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Half are 16s ....

Jabez Cowboy

Makes? No US made 2rows for CAS. None. The only doubles I know of still made in the US are very high end bird guns costing thousands of dollars. The Ruger Gold Label never really got off the ground and it was pricey and not intended for CAS.

China, Turkey, Poland and Brazil make the doubles used in CAS. None made in the USA. Old used ones are around.

The best 2rows ever made for this game were SKBs and BSSs made in Japan but both only make over and unders these days. I love me my SKB. If you want the best hammerless double for CAS look for a used SKB or BSS.

Hammered? -- go with the TTN/Cimarron or if ye can afford one the Pioneer made in Poland.

Ye are slab out of luck for a new-made USA hammerless for CAS. Have to go used if it must be made in USA. Unless you want to butcher a high end bird gun costing thousands.

I might want to switch to an American made shotgun. Who would y'all say makes the best SxS for CAS?

Thanks,

Possum

How flush are you? You can always get a Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company 12 ga. They start around $4K. :o

I had an old Ithaca SxS. It was smooth as silk and was born right here in the USA.

There are still a fair number of Crescent guns floating around. My current main match gun is a Crescent mule ear that I trimmed to 18.5". It's a beauty, especially when roaring with Black Powder.

As for current American-made SxS guns for CAS, there aren't any. There are top-end American bird guns, or imported CAS guns.

LeFever (Ithaca) Nitro Special is a good American made shotgun and they are reasonably priced. Several are available on Gunbroker. I have 2 that I use with black powder and they are great.

I might want to switch to an American made shotgun. Who would y'all say makes the best SxS for CAS?

Thanks,

Possum

Nobdoy makes one here now, that I know of... unless the semi-custom shops are up again.

You could shop old Ithaca's (but not the SKB-made ones, from Japan... although those are nice guns too), Iver Johnson, Parkers, L.C. Smiths, Stevens, LeFever, Winchester, maybe Remingtons, and possibly some of the J.C Higgins (Sears) guns may have been made here, too. Probably others, but those come to mind first.

-Chris

Any gun show will have a wide selection of old US made SxS guns at prices from $200 for a Crescent (could be marked with any one of a hundred or more different hardware store names too as their minimum order for custom naming I understand was quite low) for a plain no finish remaining gun 5 to 600 for a trojan grade parker in similar condition and on through the storied names of the American gun industry from say 1870s to the 1930s

Higher grades of these guns of course will sell for more but if you stick to the plain working mans grades of guns(for Parker for example that is the Trojan) you will be amazed at what you can still buy for well under 1000 do the dollar bill test for tightness of lockup and check over for general tightness and let what feels good to shoulder be your guide

Possum, start with the pre 1964 US made SxS's and there many 'best' ones. Pick one made with a Greener slide lock and the cocking assembly is 2 finger levers. Don't select the fine Fox's because their cocking assembly is a slide bar and they are easily broken snapping the action open

Possum, I just saw a nice Winchester 24 which was the common man's model 21 at Cabela's in Gonzales. It was tagged at around $700 The 24 is a great gun and was my first shotgun. I shot all kinds of swamp critters with mine. You might have some problems if parts are needed though. I like my TTN and it does what is needed for SASS other than it's not American. Look at all the popular guns in SASS and it's almost impossible to find anyone shooting a All American set of guns. Italy makes most rifles with Russia and China making the shotguns. The China guns have now went to made in TPRC. Later Fairshake

I recommend Rossi if you can live with external hammers and used.

You did not say US made. You said American made, so I assumed South America was OK.

If I assumed wrong, I would suggest Win 24 or an older Remington. The 24 in a 16 ga is my pick as the slickest handling double ever offered to the common man.

I have two 12 gauge shotguns made by Crescent. No problem with them opening or with them opening far enough to shuck out the shells. Both shotguns look alike even though they are labeled with two different hardware store brands. You can find Crescents, it just may take a little time. They are worth having, good, sturdy and reliable shotguns.

Cresent Gun Co made a lot of SXS for various hardware stores and even Western Auto IIRC. Any small town hardware could have the name of the business stamped on the guns that were ordered.

Archived