SASS Wire Forum

Baikal vs. Stoeger

Fast Enuff

Have an Uncle getting into SASS, I don't shoot doubles much so figured I'd ask here.

Looks like Baikal's are available again at very reasonable prices. So between that and the Stoeger, which one is a better gun for a competitive shooter long term?

Tha Baikal has better steel than tha stoeger. The one that I shoot has been shot 12 years in CAS. Make sure you give it to a smith that knows what he's doing wid it. Its a cheap gun but IMO tha best.

RRR

I'm sorry I have to disagree --

I have had both and the only one that is still in my collection is the Stoeger - running strong for about 10 years now. The Baikal was cheaply made (at least when I bought it), but they may be better now.

YMMV

I absolutely love my Baikal!! Had a 20 ga Stoeger that hubby tuned up and it was okay. When I went to the 12 ga, we had a Stoeger that got sent back to them two or three times for problems. Got the brand new one from Stoeger and sold it. Just wish the new Baikals didn't have them danged hour glass shaped "ejectors."

Hugs RRR!!!

Trina

. . . Just wish the new Baikals didn't have them danged hour glass shaped "ejectors."

Hugs RRR!!!

Trina

That too can be resolved. I know a few folks that have modified that so the newer Baikals have the standard ejectors like the old Baikals. They cut the ejectors in half, added new pins for the lower and "pined the top ejectors to the barrels. The end result is the "normal" ejector shape - ie, about the lower half of the "hour glass" ejectors.

Takes a little good machine work but for someone with good tools, it is very possible.

Most folks I talked too agree with Red River Ray, Jack Houston, et all. The Baikal generally hold up better.

I know a few Pards with Baikals that have had the bottom filler strip come lose, me included. I drilled and tapped the top rib and machine screwed it back together. Also the stock broke on mine at the frame and pistol grip.

Had to have the lug on the Stoger welded up.

I guess I'm just lucky.

jim

Have had both.

Still got the Baikal.

7+ years of hard use and still going strong.

Will need action work to make it a good SASS gun.

Gunslinger is great with the Baikal's. I would just order one from him ready to go.

The Baikals MIGHT be a better gun, but that's very debateable. Where I shoot, I see more Stoegers than Bikals by a noticeable percentage. Course that doesn't actually prove anything, but it says the Stoegers are definitely liked and used.

I have two Stoegers, and after slicking them up, there's nothing not to like about them. Thay have been very reliable and are showing no appreciable wear.

In the end, I think either will serve you well, so availability is probably the main obstacle you will have.

RBK

Never owned a Stoger, but after so many years of trouble free use from the Baikal, there's no need for me to look elsewhere. Before putting it to use, Cajun Sheriff replaced the factory mainsprings for me with, I think, 1911 recoil springs (or was it Vaquero mainsprings? I forget). No problem keeping the gun fully open for loading after that. I love the little scattergun. Fancy it ain't, but strong and reliable it is.

Cleburne

I like how close the Stoeger chambers are, probably more than a 1/16" of an inch, which makes loading two shells with medium-size hands easier than the Baikal. My Stoeger has around 2500 rounds through it with no problem, but I know that other shooters have had many more rounds through theirs.

The TTN's chambers seem to be much farther apart. Maybe other shooters do not see this as an advantage or problem, but I seem to do better with the chambers kinda close.

I've had 3 Stoegers in 4 years. The 1st one was used the other 2 were brand new. All three were junk. All were worked on by one of the "go-to" gunsmiths here on the wire and they're still junk. The metal is cheap and they don't fire reliably. Just do a search on Stoeger that won't fire one barrel, it's a subjects that comes up very regularly. People will tell you the problem can be fixed, but I would beg to differ with my experience. I swithched to the Baikal and haven't had an issue yet. Bought a second as a back up and it hasen't been out of the safe. The Baikal may be a "cheap" shotgun, but I'll run it against the most expensive ones out there anytime. Go with the Baikal, it won't leave you frustrated like the Stoeger will.

JEL

Tha Baikal has better steel than tha stoeger.... RRR

The Russkies had to use those old tank parts for sumpin'. Nuthin' soft on a Baikal! Mine is an OU gun so not SASS legal, but STURDY!

Olen

I own one of each. Both were professionally tuned by highly rated cowboy gunsmiths. Both are terrific, but for me the Baikal wins hands down. The Russians know how to build guns.

I absolutely love my Baikal!! Had a 20 ga Stoeger that hubby tuned up and it was okay. When I went to the 12 ga, we had a Stoeger that got sent back to them two or three times for problems. Got the brand new one from Stoeger and sold it. Just wish the new Baikals didn't have them danged hour glass shaped "ejectors."

Hugs RRR!!!

Trina

Nate Kiowa Jones can fix that. He just did one for me that I love.

This thread gives me the giggles for sure.

The biggest problem with the Stoegers is the Kitchen Table Gunsmiths that don't have a clue as to what they are doing. There are certain things that are a must, and others that need the hands of the experienced. If given the proper attention in the critical areas when they are slicked up, and the firing pins changed to Longhunters SS pins, you won't have any problems with your Stoeger.

Not bad mouthing the Baikals a bit, but the biggest cause of problems with the Stoegers is self inflicted by the shooter, and not really the fault of the gun.

The Baikals do seem to be more trouble free right out of the box, but properly smithed, the Stoegers will perform just as well, and just as reliable.

This thread gives me the giggles for sure.

The biggest problem with the Stoegers is the Kitchen Table Gunsmiths that don't have a clue as to what they are doing. There are certain things that are a must, and others that need the hands of the experienced. If given the proper attention in the critical areas when they are slicked up, and the firing pins changed to Longhunters SS pins, you won't have any problems with your Stoeger.

Not bad mouthing the Baikals a bit, but the biggest cause of problems with the Stoegers is self inflicted by the shooter, and not really the fault of the gun.

The Baikals do seem to be more trouble free right out of the box, but properly smithed, the Stoegers will perform just as well, and just as reliable.

I would beg to differ sir.

I have had 3, and like I posted earlier thay were worked on by a very highly recommended gunsmith. He does excellant work so I will not bash him and he is by no means a "Kitchen Table Gunsmith" They all have the SS pins and they all are pieces of $&!^. It is the fault of the gun. They don't fire consistantly, they break at the hub, they slam open and take a huge pounding on their cheap pot metal actions. Anyone I know, who shoots a double in the sub 4.5 second range for 4 has problems with them. If your running 4 shots in 10 seconds their fine, but really run them and their crap. I gave mine to my neice when she started because it had consistant problems firing the second shot when I ran it. She was a 9+ second shotgun shooter. It ran fine for her until she got faster. Now she runs below 6 seconds and low and behold, it's starting to not fire the one barrel consistantly again. I don't know why, but all 3 do the same thing. They have been back to the smith several times and I even sent one to another smith to check it out and he said it looked and ran fine for him. And it's not just me and my niece. I have had other fast double shooters run it with the same issues, but if you take your time (8+ second runs) it fires fine. And again all 3 do/did the same thing. I only have the one left that my niece was shooting but she's moving over to my back-up Baikal.

If you are an average middle of the pack or slower shooter (and no offense meant by that) then the Stoegers are fine, but hammer them really hard they're junk.

The Baikal is just a much better gun.

So Fast, Buy the Baikal, send it to Nate Kiowa Jones, and he will send you back a slick, fast running shotgun that will hold up no matter how hard you beat on it. You will not be dissappointed. Just look at Red River Ray's if you ever get the chance. His shotgun has been patched back together several times and the tank is still running very for him, and FAST!

Just another 2 cents from,

JEL

Hey Ray, You should put a video of that rattley ol shotgun of yours on here and they show them how it runs ;)

Been shooting the same Stoeger since March of 2000.

Me too.

I would beg to differ sir.

I have had 3, and like I posted earlier thay were worked on by a very highly recommended gunsmith. He does excellant work so I will not bash him and he is by no means a "Kitchen Table Gunsmith" They all have the SS pins and they all are pieces of $&!^. It is the fault of the gun. They don't fire consistantly, they break at the hub, they slam open and take a huge pounding on their cheap pot metal actions. Anyone I know, who shoots a double in the sub 4.5 second range for 4 has problems with them. If your running 4 shots in 10 seconds their fine, but really run them and their crap. I gave mine to my neice when she started because it had consistant problems firing the second shot when I ran it. She was a 9+ second shotgun shooter. It ran fine for her until she got faster. Now she runs below 6 seconds and low and behold, it's starting to not fire the one barrel consistantly again. I don't know why, but all 3 do the same thing. They have been back to the smith several times and I even sent one to another smith to check it out and he said it looked and ran fine for him. And it's not just me and my niece. I have had other fast double shooters run it with the same issues, but if you take your time (8+ second runs) it fires fine. And again all 3 do/did the same thing. I only have the one left that my niece was shooting but she's moving over to my back-up Baikal.

If you are an average middle of the pack or slower shooter (and no offense meant by that) then the Stoegers are fine, but hammer them really hard they're junk.

The Baikal is just a much better gun.

So Fast, Buy the Baikal, send it to Nate Kiowa Jones, and he will send you back a slick, fast running shotgun that will hold up no matter how hard you beat on it. You will not be dissappointed. Just look at Red River Ray's if you ever get the chance. His shotgun has been patched back together several times and the tank is still running very for him, and FAST!

Just another 2 cents from,

JEL

Hey Ray, You should put a video of that rattley ol shotgun of yours on here and they show them how it runs ;)

Follow up recommendation, prior to shipping to Nate, find out when he wants it or you may be without it for a while. He does great work, which is why he has a backlog.

Archived