SASS Wire Forum

Beretta Renegade Is On Its Way!

Smithy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Year zero" does not exist in the widely used Gregorian calendar or in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Under those systems, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1. However, there is a year zero in astronomical year numbering (where it coincides with the Julian year 1 BC) and in ISO 8601:2004 (where it coincides with the Gregorian year 1 BC) as well as in all Buddhist and Hindu calendars.

And you guys think I'm long winded?

Smithy,I can understand Phantom's frustration with your initial post: it was WAY too long and tedious. About TEN times too long. We don't need to read your diary entries, it takes too long and is boring. To condense makes sense, concise is nice, short and sweet is neat. You could have just said got a new rifle. Has factory short stroke. Gonna slick it up some meowndangself. Will let y'all know how it shoots. I have noticed your tendency to long windedness. Unless you are Driftwood giving us a history lesson, the rest of us appreciate short posts. without all the unnecessary stuff we don't need. Your first post on this string basically wasted too much of too many of us'ns time. Comprende? Some folks just don't have time on their hands to burn reading unnecessary wordiness.

Well Lone Dog, either you or Phantom are not required to read any of my posts lengthy or not. I wanted to provide background for the readers so they would know where I was coming from and to get the whole story. Some folks would find that interesting. Apparently not you two guys, but that's OK because you DON'T have to read lengthy posts. It's your option. What I do find obnoxious is in Phantom's perceived need to peanut gallery this whole thread from start to finish and everywhere in between. Phantom complained about my run on paragraph yet his run on commentaries (13 and counting) are far worse. They sound like a bad episode of Beavis and Butthead......."hehehehe yeah right! hehehehe". Most don't make a lick of sense. Of course I'm considering the source. I feel that if you are offended by a thread (or the gun that a poster is apparently quite happy about), then you're best off to keep your mouth shut and stay off the thread and leave well enough alone. But no, there are a certain number of folks that do not like shooters that they personally do not use so if anyone else praises them, all they can see fit to do is to bad mouth them. Not only the gun, but the new owner. How childish can you be? Start a new thread on your own and badmouth yourself and leave the happy owners alone. Ie. Get a Life. Smithy.

Well Lone Dog, either you or Phantom are not required to read any of my posts lengthy or not. I wanted to provide background for the readers so they would know where I was coming from and to get the whole story. Some folks would find that interesting. Apparently not you two guys, but that's OK because you DON'T have to read lengthy posts. It's your option. What I do find obnoxious is in Phantom's perceived need to peanut gallery this whole thread from start to finish and everywhere in between. Phantom complained about my run on paragraph yet his run on commentaries (13 and counting) are far worse. They sound like a bad episode of Beavis and Butthead......."hehehehe yeah right! hehehehe". Most don't make a lick of sense. Of course I'm considering the source. I feel that if you are offended by a thread (or the gun that a poster is apparently quite happy about), then you're best off to keep your mouth shut and stay off the thread and leave well enough alone. But no, there are a certain number of folks that do not like shooters that they personally do not use so if anyone else praises them, all they can see fit to do is to bad mouth them. Not only the gun, but the new owner. How childish can you be? Start a new thread on your own and badmouth yourself and leave the happy owners alone. Ie. Get a Life. Smithy.

Proving my point ye are too wordy again. In fact always. None of the rest of us care to read a novel or even a novella. For pity's sake man give us a break. There is no reason on an internet forum to go on and on with a post that is mostly blather and should more appropriately be a diary entry. Short posts are the norm on the internet for a very good reason. You shouldn't take it personally. Phantom and I were just trying to point out to you something that you still don't seem to be able to get. I for one do not have the time so please I'm axin ye as a pard -- consider condensing. I'd like to get over to the Saloon (ACS) sometimes but I just can't seem to make it but once in a blue moon.

Smithy, let me know how it shoots once you get the chance. If funds had been available I would have strongly considered a Renegade. As it is, a Wire pard offered me a '92 that will start me out just fine and still allow me to sleep under a roof and eat.

You inscrutable orientals.:lol:

Larsen, ifn you ain't figured it out yet.....Phantom is Borg! :lol::lol::lol:

I guess its possible to be Oriental Borg (Boriental). But, as Phantom says; 'what do I know?' :o

Smithy, congrats on your new toy. I hope it serves you well.

..........Widder

This from the same guy that just a few days ago was badmouthing everyone's 73 because they were too heavy to shoot.

Gold Canyon........This one's lighter.......check it out yourowndangself!

Proving my point ye are too wordy again. In fact always. None of the rest of us care to read a novel or even a novella. For pity's sake man give us a break. There is no reason on an internet forum to go on and on with a post that is mostly blather and should more appropriately be a diary entry. Short posts are the norm on the internet for a very good reason. You shouldn't take it personally. Phantom and I were just trying to point out to you something that you still don't seem to be able to get. I for one do not have the time so please I'm axin ye as a pard -- consider condensing. I'd like to get over to the Saloon (ACS) sometimes but I just can't seem to make it but once in a blue moon.

Pretty long winded yourself pard.....2/3rds as long as mine, but NEVER an equal to me. I guess I should feel special since I NEVER read of the two of you badmouthing ANY of the other routine, long winded writers. Smithy (short enough Lone Dog?)

Well I feel now as if I owe you an apology. Even tho we were just trying to help you see the light that pithiness is a virtue, I should certainly have done it by PM. And for me failing to do so, I am sincerely sorry. I know you are a good pard and just trying to help others when you post and certainly don't deserve any castigation from the likes of me. I feel especially empathic that you can no longer drive. If I were close, I would sure offer to chauffeur you to every match we could possibly get to. And you could feel free to regale me to no end. Hang in there pard and don't let a coupla nabobs bug ya none.

What a joke...

And I said HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...not HEEHEEHEEHEE.

So do they use special lightweight steel...err...alloy in them Renegades????

Maybe they dooooooo...what do I know... :mellow:

Dude, you've got a serious lack of humor issue...and you've also got the dredded "It's my Thread and you have no right to Hijack it" delusion.

All Wire Threads are doomed to be hijacked...especially ones that are of the Who Really Cares variety.

OY!

:FlagAm:

Gold Canyon........This one's lighter.......check it out yourowndangself!

It is absolutely no lighter than any other similar Uberti 73 short rifle. If they are claiming it is lighter than the company that makes it, then some one is lying.

Debatable.

Not really. Centuries end on "0" and begin on "01" -- it's why all those years that area "18**" are in the "19th" century, and not the 18th.

Now, there's an true debate available on where the very first 01 lies -- but that's because the Gregorian calendar we use was some time years AFTER the time of Christ, and the date of origin was calculated using then-existing calendars.

Not really. Centuries end on "0" and begin on "01" -- it's why all those years that area "18**" are in the "19th" century, and not the 18th.

Now, there's an true debate available on where the very first 01 lies -- but that's because the Gregorian calendar we use was some time years AFTER the time of Christ, and the date of origin was calculated using then-existing calendars.

Yeah...whatever.

Go shoot.

Howdy Smithy - I looked at a Renegade at GOA two years ago. Was highly impressed with the feel of the action and the balance of the rifle. It just jumps to the shoulder and wants to stay there. Thought about it seriously, went for a walk to check other vendors, and with Visa in hand went back .... and it was walking away with a pard who was just beaming with his new purchase. Watched him shoot it later that day, and you could tell he was as happy as a pig in warm mud with it.

I think you'll be just as pleased with it. Congratz on getting a good deal.

Maybe the stock and forend are made of Balsa wood???

Big Jake

Maybe the toggle links for the short stroke are made of titanium. Why was the rifle such a failure in sales that they are going to stop selling it??

It is still listed on the Beretta website, and I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, other than this thread.

It is still listed on the Beretta website, and I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, other than this thread.

It was just what I had heard, conveyed to me from my local dealer after he had spoke with Beretta directly so I'm not exactly sure either.

I would say that like other CAS guns that were marketed to be race ready from the factory this one probably has not sold well. Why? mostly because folks like to have their "own" smiths do the work. The shotgun style buttplate will be comfortable and pretty user friendly. Most of us end up modifying or paying someone to modify our stocks so there is one plus. It will indeed need some more smoothing to get it to feel real good, Lifter/lever springs and a reduced trigger interlock spring from www.themsmithship.com and some elbow grease and you should be in business. good luck.

Howdy

Has the insult throwing stopped yet?

Regarding the Beretta Renegade; Beretta bought Uberti a number of years ago, so I am sure the Renegade was made by Uberti. I'll bet dollars to donuts it will have a Uberti stamp on it somewhere. Stoeger has also offered Uberti made guns from time to time because both Stoeger and Uberti are owned by the same holding company. I dunno where you got your information about it being lighter, I don't see any such specs on the website. It does look like a standard 20" octagon barrel, so I doubt if it weighs any less than any other Uberti '73 with a 20" octagon barrel.

On a general note, beware of claims made on company websites by firearms manufacturers. Ruger is notorious for getting the weights of their revolvers incorrect. Uberti gives general dimensions for rifling groove diameter, but the actual measurement can vary from what they say. Also, beware of claims of 'race ready' guns. Marlin was offering a 'race ready' Cowboy version of their 1894, but most buyers agreed it was not 'race ready' to the extent that most CAS shooters really like. The economics of it are, if they put the kind of time into tuning it that a good smith does, it would have cost too much. Beware of what Beretta is saying; I spotted one small error on their page about the early '73s being steel framed. That is simply not true, the early Winchester Model '73 had an iron frame. The bottom line is, firearms websites often post erroneous information. Cowboy guns are not Beretta's bread and butter, and they may not have put a lot of effort into fact checking the information about the Renegade. I will be interested to see if it shows up with the shotgun butt as illustrated, or the crescent butt that somebody reported.

I agree, Uberti rifles do not have to be worked on to function at all, they usually work just fine right out of the box. They are usually worked on because they will usually benefit from a little extra TLC. But they do work right out of the box.

Smithy, bottom line is I hope you are happy with your Renegade. Once you get it and start putting in new springs, please report on if it has as many rough surfaces and burrs inside as most other Uberti rifles do. I would also recommend you replace the lever and lifter springs with Happy Trails' Whisper Springs, and replace the trigger safety interlock spring with his coil version. I'm betting they will be the stock Uberti springs, which are too heavy. I wonder if Bongo overtightened the Renegade screws like he does all the Uberti screws.

Uh oh, looks like I posted too wordy again. Oh well, just look at my motto. A direct quote from the guy in my avatar.

Driftwood Johnson, my reference to weight on the Uberti 1873's came from examining my local dealer's single sample which I later reexamined and found to be a octagon 24" tubed model. Before ordering the Beretta I had a chance to check out an Uberti with an octagon 20" tube and although still quite a bit heavier than my Rossi 92, it was doable in my opinion. The Beretta Renegade comes with a fully tapered octagon 20" barrel, so it should be lighter yet than the Uberti in my guestimation. At least that is what I am hoping. It shouldn't be any heavier. Smithy.

Howdy

Has the insult throwing stopped yet?

Regarding the Beretta Renegade; Beretta bought Uberti a number of years ago, so I am sure the Renegade was made by Uberti. I'll bet dollars to donuts it will have a Uberti stamp on it somewhere. Stoeger has also offered Uberti made guns from time to time because both Stoeger and Uberti are owned by the same holding company. I dunno where you got your information about it being lighter, I don't see any such specs on the website. It does look like a standard 20" octagon barrel, so I doubt if it weighs any less than any other Uberti '73 with a 20" octagon barrel.

On a general note, beware of claims made on company websites by firearms manufacturers. Ruger is notorious for getting the weights of their revolvers incorrect. Uberti gives general dimensions for rifling groove diameter, but the actual measurement can vary from what they say. Also, beware of claims of 'race ready' guns. Marlin was offering a 'race ready' Cowboy version of their 1894, but most buyers agreed it was not 'race ready' to the extent that most CAS shooters really like. The economics of it are, if they put the kind of time into tuning it that a good smith does, it would have cost too much. Beware of what Beretta is saying; I spotted one small error on their page about the early '73s being steel framed. That is simply not true, the early Winchester Model '73 had an iron frame. The bottom line is, firearms websites often post erroneous information. Cowboy guns are not Beretta's bread and butter, and they may not have put a lot of effort into fact checking the information about the Renegade. I will be interested to see if it shows up with the shotgun butt as illustrated, or the crescent butt that somebody reported.

I agree, Uberti rifles do not have to be worked on to function at all, they usually work just fine right out of the box. They are usually worked on because they will usually benefit from a little extra TLC. But they do work right out of the box.

Smithy, bottom line is I hope you are happy with your Renegade. Once you get it and start putting in new springs, please report on if it has as many rough surfaces and burrs inside as most other Uberti rifles do. I would also recommend you replace the lever and lifter springs with Happy Trails' Whisper Springs, and replace the trigger safety interlock spring with his coil version. I'm betting they will be the stock Uberti springs, which are too heavy. I wonder if Bongo overtightened the Renegade screws like he does all the Uberti screws.

Uh oh, looks like I posted too wordy again. Oh well, just look at my motto. A direct quote from the guy in my avatar.

l

Mine is a 20" and it has a shotgun style stock with rubber recoil pad.......nice gun, and shoots great......500 rounds down and not a single problem.......

:lol::lol: Wow Phantom, Just how much whiskey have you ACTUALLY had while being on this thread??? :lol:

See ya next week at WR I hope. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jack.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

What a joke...

And I said HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...not HEEHEEHEEHEE.

So do they use special lightweight steel...err...alloy in them Renegades????

Maybe they dooooooo...what do I know... :mellow:

Dude, you've got a serious lack of humor issue...and you've also got the dredded "It's my Thread and you have no right to Hijack it" delusion.

All Wire Threads are doomed to be hijacked...especially ones that are of the Who Really Cares variety.

OY!

+1

:lol:

:lol::lol: Wow Phantom, Just how much whiskey have you ACTUALLY had while being on this thread??? :lol:

See ya next week at WR I hope. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jack.

After a 7 year straight run, I gotta miss this year. Opening up our new gun store location...have fun, see ya at...Comin' At'cha???

Phantom

PS: There's no such thing as too much whiskey!

Our match director forwarded an email from a gunsmith and SASS shooter in the midlands of SC announcing that he can get the Beretta Renegade at closeout pricing.

Smithy is ahead of the curve on this one.

I shoot a Rossi 92 in 45 LC and that rifle will continue to serve me in WB, but of late I've had a hankering for an 1873 of some type or description. So I've been searching the web and the local dealers and the Wire for what each had to say about 1873's and the various upgrades to be done on such a rifle. Buying a gun and sending it off to a smith was going to end up very costly in the long run so I looked at buying a race ready gun directly from a smith and that was in the 1600+ department which was still kind of stiff. Then I saw on Guns America, a Beretta Renegade which already had the short stroke mod installed to where the balance of the work that I would need would be in the DIY neighborhood.

On Guns America there were a couple of used ones (I didn't want to buy someone else's problems and wanted new), and they had one new one at $1,317.00. Just a little more than the Uberti 1873's were going for and was indicated in previous threads. I then changed my search parameters and ended up with a full page listing of dealers that would order me a Beretta Renegade and included the price they would charge me to do so. The dealers were arranged in proximity to my home address and my favorite local dealer came up first. The cheapest price was the same $1,317.00 so I figured that since I was to do the balance of the work on the gun (the short stroke was already in) I would go ahead and buy it. Of course that price did not include tax and registration so the final price would end up being somewhere around 1500 bucks. Ouch! I had sent the Guns America email saying that I would buy that gun from that dealer and Guns America emailed me back telling me to go the next day and put my deposit down to confirm the order.

I went in the following day asking about the email and they couldn't find it at all. Come to find out, the owner had deleted it in error having not even read it. So I told them that it pertained to a Beretta Renegade in 45 LC with a 20" barrel. They then called Beretta directly and got some prices and ordered the gun even without my OK. After they got off the phone I was told that I could have the gun for $1,000.00 out the door, tax and registration included. So I ended up saving close to 500 bucks. Turns out that Beretta is discontinuing the model and is offering their dealers a discount to do so. And I ended up benefiting in the process. So it's not a true "Uberti 1873" or "Winchester 1873", but it's a darn pretty rifle with a short stroke just waiting for a little slicking up and some stainless springs and follower and a little leather to finish her off and I'll be good to go. Smithy.

Just bought me a second one in 357......Yeepee!

Just bought me a second one in 357......Yeepee!

poking the bear Bill.....

Archived