SASS Wire Forum

Dry Firing?

Bridog

Hello All,

Couple questions for you all on dry fire practice...

Do you have to have snap caps in for NM Vaqueros, OM Blackhawk and an 1866?

I know my Stoeger SxS must have snap caps.

Thanks, Bridog

I have new model Bisley Vaquero's and YES I do use snap caps. "They" say helps to protect premature breakage of the transfer bar? Smithy.

Bridog,

Most definitely you will want a snap cap for the '66. The firing pin on the toggle link guns is shaped like a nail with a thick head and will break at the shoulder with heavy dry fire.

To save wear and tear on your extractor file off 1/3 to 1/2 of the case rim of one snap cap. Place the missing portion at the top of the chamber so the "round" will stay in place through multiple shots.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

You will find a variety of opinions on the WIRE concerning this. Several big name shooters have said they do not use them for the pistols and back it up with tales of their vast amount of dry fire over long periods without dry fire related problems. I have been pretty much disappointed in all but one one, the AJ version. No doubt they were an expensive one off product and I am thinking that he may have dropped them from his inventory but you can check here http://www.cowboy45special.com/index.html . It is an interesting site with some unique products and all are well made, many by hand.

You will find a variety of opinions on the WIRE concerning this. Several big name shooters have said they do not use them for the pistols and back it up with tales of their vast amount of dry fire over long periods without dry fire related problems. I have been pretty much disappointed in all but one one, the AJ version. No doubt they were an expensive one off product and I am thinking that he may have dropped them from his inventory but you can check here http://www.cowboy45special.com/index.html . It is an interesting site with some unique products and all are well made, many by hand.

Bob AJ's Black Magic Snap caps are,their, Here http://www.cowboy45special.com/lever_wraps.html . Adios Sgt. Jake

Phantom,

you won't believe this story but its totally true. (well, you'll probably believe it)

Anyhow,

A good Cowboy shootin friend of mine kept having problems during a few matches with most all his guns during the course of the day. It wasn't the guns but rather his lake of efficiency with them.

Anyhow, I suggested that he start dry firing and getting some muscle memory and technique into his efforts.

He looked at me and said: "I just can't see how dry firing can ever help you"!

I thought I would die with astonishment.

I said: 'WHAT? You gotta be kiddin. Sub 2 pistol runs, sub 4 on SG runs and sub 6 on 6. A couple sub 3's on rifle runs. You're jokin.

Guess what.....he wasn't. He actually could not understand how dry firing could help you.

I finally just told him to keep on doing what he was doing and I would just keep on beatin him like a rented mule.

Best regards to the Borg world.

..........Widderborg

Phantom,

you won't believe this story but its totally true. (well, you'll probably believe it)

Anyhow,

A good Cowboy shootin friend of mine kept having problems during a few matches with most all his guns during the course of the day. It wasn't the guns but rather his lake of efficiency with them.

Anyhow, I suggested that he start dry firing and getting some muscle memory and technique into his efforts.

He looked at me and said: "I just can't see how dry firing can ever help you"!

I thought I would die with astonishment.

I said: 'WHAT? You gotta be kiddin. Sub 2 pistol runs, sub 4 on SG runs and sub 6 on 6. A couple sub 3's on rifle runs. You're jokin.

Guess what.....he wasn't. He actually could not understand how dry firing could help you.

I finally just told him to keep on doing what he was doing and I would just keep on beatin him like a rented mule.

Best regards to the Borg world.

..........Widderborg

Ha! Reminds me of a story 'bout a horse and water.

:P

I have never used snap caps over the many years that I have dry fired, and how many things have I ever broke......1 firing pin on a 73. By the way, I don't have transfer bars in my Rugers! :)

..........Widderborg

I have always wanted to shoot with him, but this is why I don't go to shoots where Widder is going to be - being beaten like a rented mule sounds painful. :D

I would guess that on most centerfire firearms, dry firing won't hurt anything. Then again, using snap caps certainly isn't going to do any harm. I have snap caps for most of my guns. They are useful for other things other than dry firing (action testing, diagnosing shooter error, etc) so I usually buy them whenever I add a new caliber to the collection.

I would guess that on most centerfire firearms, dry firing won't hurt anything. Then again, using snap caps certainly isn't going to do any harm. I have snap caps for most of my guns. They are useful for other things other than dry firing (action testing, diagnosing shooter error, etc) so I usually buy them whenever I add a new caliber to the collection.

Yeah...tell me how fun it is to dry fire a rifle with snap caps...that's real fun...

In th' Rugers, ya kin always take th' transfer bars out while dry firing, makes 'em REAL safe! I'd recommend snap caps in the other types of actions.

Besides all that, do ya know how ta spell cheat in CAS? P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E :lol::lol::lol:

:FlagAm:

Hello if you are dry firing with the pistols i would recomend shooting a couple live rounds out side in between practice

sessions because if you dry fire too much you will get used to no recoil and screw up and miss a lot when you go to shoot again.This is just my opinion on dry firing. this might no effect you at all.Do what works best for you ;)

halfcock,now jersytown kid,

Hello if you are dry firing with the pistols i would recomend shooting a couple live rounds out side in between practice

sessions because if you dry fire too much you will get used to no recoil and screw up and miss a lot when you go to shoot again.This is just my opinion on dry firing. this might no effect you at all.Do what works best for you ;)

halfcock,now jersytown kid,

sorry for all the mispelling :wacko::wacko::lol:

I use old, fired, polished brass in mu pistols to dry fire.

For rifles, I reload ammo, but keep the old, used primers and don't put in any powder.

It's cheap, and the same size and almost correct weight.

for shotguns, I put hot glue in old, used shells. I keep the old primers in them and just fill them and close them.

I use a Lee Load All.

I used to think "YES" ... then I asked da Widder-dude. If Widder don't need 'em then nobody needs them.

Ya... that's a big "NO".

But, like FANTUM says, "what do he knows?"

can you take the transfer bar out of the Ruger NV's and forgive my ignorance but Why did they sart putting themin anyway?'''

can you take the transfer bar out of the Ruger NV's and forgive my ignorance but Why did they sart putting themin anyway?'''

Howdy

You can take the transfer bar out, but then nothing will happen when you drop the hammer on a live round. The transfer bar has to be in position between the hammer and firing pin for the revolver to fire. There are a few gunsmiths who specialize in removing transfer bars and then welding some extra material on to the hammer so that the hammer will reach the firing pin without having a transfer bar in place. If a Ruger is so modified, caution must always be exercised and a live round must not be placed under the hammer, just like on a Colt.

All Vaqueros have always had transfer bars. Ruger introduced the transfer bar system in 1974 when the New Model Blackhawk was introduced. Prior to that time, Ruger actions were similar to Colts, including a half cock loading system. These Rugers had three screws through the frame as pivot points for the hammer, trigger and bolt, very similar to a Colt, except the screw heads were on the opposite side of the frame as on a Colt, so today they are known as the three screw Blackhawks. Ruger had lost some very expensive lawsuits resulting from shooters injured or even killed when a Blackhawk was dropped to the ground with a live round under the hammer. So they completely redesigned the Blackhawk. The new design included the transfer bar so the gun could be safely carried with a live round under the hammer. If the hammer was struck, the transfer bar was not in position to transfer the blow to the firing pin, so the gun would not discharge. The new design got rid of the three screws and replace them with two pins as pivot points for the internal parts.

The Vaquero was first offered in 1993 and the New Vaquero was first offered in 2005. As I said, they have always had transfer bars in them.

I bought my first Ruger in 1975, a 45 caliber New Model Blackhawk with a convertible cylinder for 45 ACP. It came with a transfer bar.

By the way, those lawsuits are the reason Ruger remains one of the most litigation shy firearm manufacturers even today. That is why Ruger will convert an old Three Screw to transfer bar operation for free. That is also why Ruger will automatically replace any worn of broken parts if a gun is returned to them for service. And that is why Ruger will not sell you some parts that need to be factory fitted.

I used to think "YES" ... then I asked da Widder-dude. If Widder don't need 'em then nobody needs them.

Ya... that's a big "NO".

But, like FANTUM says, "what do he knows?"

Howdy Bro. King

I still got those Vaq.

They both have exceeded 1.5 million cycles EACH.

One of them broke a tranfer bar at around the 250,000 cycle mark. The replacement is still working perfect. Actually, that first transfer bar broke during live fire practice. You'll love this part:

I was doing a speed video and had just ran a draw and 10 shots in exactly 2.0 seconds. I was hoping to go sub 2 that day. I was feeling 'fiesty'.

Soooo, I loaded up the pistols again and on the first try.....that transfer bar was broke. It had broken on the last shot from this pistol doing a speed run at 2.0 seconds. Kinda funny ain't it.

The other broke the transfer bar at around 350,000 cycle mark during dry fire practice. The replacement is still working perfect.

Neither pistol has ever had any type of snap cap or empty casings during dry fire practice.

On another subject:

From my personal experience, dry fire practice won't do anything to harm your hit percentages. If anything, any and all good and proper dry firing will help eliminate misses because alot of dry firing seems to become a 'second nature' operation of your firearm. Sometimes, you will feel like your on auto pilot. Working your firearms becomes more natural and helps in allowing you to keep your focus on front site, etc.... and acquiring MORE hits.....not misses.

Thats just from my personal experience.

Best regards

..........Widder

I don't use snap caps in my Vaqueros and I don't use them in my 73 and I don't know of a top gun (I'm not) who does. Why do I point this out? Because the top guns became top guns by, among other things, dry firing....a bunch. If I was going to do anything regarding my 73, I would take Phiren's advice and grind the rim off of an empty cartridge.

Yeah...tell me how fun it is to dry fire a rifle with snap caps...that's real fun...

Well, for the first 10 rounds anyway. :lol:

Bridog,

Most definitely you will want a snap cap for the '66. The firing pin on the toggle link guns is shaped like a nail with a thick head and will break at the shoulder with heavy dry fire.

To save wear and tear on your extractor file off 1/3 to 1/2 of the case rim of one snap cap. Place the missing portion at the top of the chamber so the "round" will stay in place through multiple shots.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Here's another hint to save time and wear on your 66, Have a Machinest or smith cut a groove around a "A Zoom" snap cap then place a "O" ring in that groove that allows for a snug fit in the chamber, that along with removing a portion of the rim ..... Will allow you to run and jump and all around play Cowboy levering and fireing at will ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived