SASS Wire Forum

Stupid club rules

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

At every club I've shot at here in Ohio, port arms is with butt stock touching gun belt and muzzle at or above shoulder level. Simple to comply with and easy to make sure everyone does it correctly.

This is the one that gets me about Cowboy Port Arms.

Wish someone would show me where it says anything about "TOUCHING" anything???

Let alone anything about "GUNBLET"

Of course they can't.

Because it is NOT there.

Guess it is one of those stuipd club rules.

But that is NOT SASS rules.

And hope that the RO's from those clubs know that when they go to other places.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the one that gets me about Cowboy Port Arms.

Of course they can't.

Because it is NOT there.

Guess it is one of those stuipd club rules.

But that is NOT SASS rules.

And hope that the RO's from those clubs know that when they go to other places.

.... herein lies an interesting conundrum ....

Of course they can't.

Because it is NOT there.

Never said it was official SASS rules, just the way they do it around here. Seems to cut down on the "creepers and crouchers" as Allie put it. Guess you could call it a "stupid club rule"

If I'm shooting somewhere that does it different then I'll do it how they want, makes no difference to me. Since it seems everywhere has a different version of port arms.

If I were writing stages I wouldn't bother using port arms, I'd just say rifle in both hands, and people can hold it however they want.

Never said it was official SASS rules, just the way they do it around here. Seems to cut down on the "creepers and crouchers" as Allie put it. Guess you could call it a "stupid club rule"

If I'm shooting somewhere that does it different then I'll do it how they want, makes no difference to me. Since it seems everywhere has a different version of port arms.

If I were writing stages I wouldn't bother using port arms, I'd just say rifle in both hands, and people can hold it however they want.

When writing stages, I try no longer to use "Cowboy port arms", rather to replace this,just. rifle/shotgun on table both hands on rifle/shotgun, not lifted till buzzer. MT

Not a "stupid club rule", but one day I would like to start a portfolio on the many different ways, "Cowboy Port Arms" is executed, and allowed by different clubs. MT

I go ballistic when the position is described as "Cowboy Port of Arms".

At every club I've shot at here in Ohio, port arms is with butt stock touching gun belt and muzzle at or above shoulder level. Simple to comply with and easy to make sure everyone does it correctly.

So your clubs do not use SASS rules? No where in SASS rules is a requirement for butt to touch the gun belt???

If you miss target 1 and hit target 2, you get a P. Now if you miss target 3 and hit target 4, you can not be charged for another P. Is there no penalty or does it magically become a miss now? Or worse, do you have two misses and a P now.

Wow!!!

Cheers,

BJT

Ongoing post reminded me...

Have you ever shot somewhere that had really stupid club rules? What's the worst you've seen?

A pard of mine recently shot a match that required some pistol knockdowns to be shot 1,2,3,4,5,6. So far, so good. The thing is they had to be knocked down in that order. This pard shot 1, 2 and 1 didn't go down. He got a miss for #1 (he didn't think he could make it up without getting a P) and a P for not knocking over #1 before 2 went down.

Another time I shot a match a couple of years ago that had a similar club rule that required shotgun to be knocked down in the order specified. Not engaged. Knocked down. But at least there you only got a miss, unless you made up the first target after another target fell. Hell on double shooters.

Same club also will not let the shooter shuck a live shotshell. Also, hard on double shooters.

I don't mind rules that make sense, but I really HATE stupid rules.

Same match had a stage that required one pistol be staged on each side of an opening in a bar. The pistols were to be shot back-to-back. Were both within easy reach, so I asked can I shoot them gunfighter? No, they could NOT be shot gunfighter.

Possum

Allie:

It's just a friendly game.

Regards,

Mike (the) Fink

AH! Years ago I played darts in leagues here in Dallas. The best times I ever had was playing Classic League, the top tier, with a group of friends. Our team name was OAFG, Only A ******* Game. ;)

I really do try and approach this game the same way. :)

If you miss target 1 and hit target 2, you get a P. Now if you miss target 3 and hit target 4, you can not be charged for another P. Is there no penalty or does it magically become a miss now? Or worse, do you have two misses and a P now.

Wow!!!

Cheers,

BJT

Hitting (or knocking down as applicable) the right type of target with the right type of gun is a hit regardless of order.

It could be a "P" if done out of order.

The ONLY time that hitting a correct type target with a correct type gun can be called a miss is when a round strikes an unintended target because the targets were set in such a fashion as to not allow a "Clean" miss.

And in that example - you are only calling it a miss to avoid calling it a "P".

In the case laid out in the OP, the shooter could have shot #1 over again to avoid the miss. He did not, thinking he would get a P if he did, not knowing they were going to call a P anyway, for targets falling in the incorrect order.

I wonder what they would have called had he hit #1 then hit #2 better and #2 fell before #1? No telling or maybe The Phantom knows.

Anybody want to play Calvinball?

Possum

IJFG

IJamsville Frontier Gunfighter? :lol:

Dang Chuck, thought you were gonna tackle this one.

I do not buy that micro managed starts are fun, "the same", safer, fairer, ....or necessary.

From RO'ing, shooting, match design and plain ole 'doing the math, complex start and stage procedures benefit only two groups of cowpokes. The extremely fast think/act shooters and those writing stages who may have 'issues'. Don't care what we do in the "name" of 'sameness' the ones who can think through to muscle response the fastest will just spread the time gap between themselves and the less trained. That said, maybe the best way to level that proverbial playing field is to make it possible for the less trained to get that first shot off faster and safer. Might gain only 10% for the trained and 500% for the less trained, greatly narrowing the 'time gap'. Given the difference adrenaline has on folks, these complex starts could even be unsafe because the less trained shooters are NOT thinking about shooting. Their focus could all too easily be NOT getting a procedure instead of gun safety.

Artic

Here is a Wyo. Cowboy pose, check it out.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/JakeHarlow/WyoCowboy.jpg

It amueses me to see some of the RO's argue over the rules, the outcome is amazing.

Love my club tho, great bunch of Folks. :)

Cool pic, but he didn't have both hands on the rifle. :angry:

Guest Crosscut Hardy SASS # 54701

Good post Possum Skinner, it shows at the least whoever writes stages this way needs a lot more experience with CAS to learn how to write stages; Thanks for your help, crosscut hardy.

Archived