SASS Wire Forum

a Single Six .22 is not worth .357 money is it?

Marshal Max Henry

I put on here that I was looking for a Single six .22 Ruger the only response i got was from a Gentelman wanting $450. I thought this was rediculous(No offense to the Pard who offerd) But I am new to this game and type of weapon. I have Glocks and H&K's but he wanted the same money as if it were a New Vaquero.

? I could buy a Glock 19 for that. So i guess,because im new to this, that this is reasonable or just way too much? I need input because i dont want to get ripped of with my Greenhorness.

I have to compare this to motorcycles. I asked why some of the popular touring brands did not make smaller motorcycles. The answer was; it costs as much to make a small motorcycle as it does to make a big one. Same goes with SA revovlers. Costs the manufacturer just as much to make a .22 as it does to make a .357. I too have been looking at .22 revolvers to shoot in the local .22 matces. I shoot in the open catagory, but would like to shoot in cowboy so it would be better practice for my big boy shoots. Seems like a lot of times you can find a used .357 sheaper than a used .22 of the better brands. I've looked at some of the cheaper brands of .22s, but haven't seen one that was really worth owning.

Guest diablo slim shootist

only a "star" model single six is worth that kind of$$

what you are looking for should run under $300

its a good investment to buy the "Blue book of gun values"

for a reference guide so not to be taken advantage of-$39.95 :D

I have a old model 3 screw single six that I would not take 450.00 for.

Ruger currently lists the Blue Single Six Convertible (.22 LR and .22 Mag,) for $534; stainless for $601. They are sometimes hard to find. I paid $400 for a new one a year or so ago. Took over a month for my dealer to get it. Decided on a second one; got it in a week. Interestingly, they had consecutive serial numbers.

Blued .357 Blackhawks list for $554, only $20 more than the Single Six. The convertible Blackhawks list for $636. Based on this, the extra Single Six cylinder is probably adding $50-75 to the price.

Depends on the Single Six as to value. Some are rare and collectible. Some are just hard to find and command high prices.

I have a pair of 50th Anniversary single sixes. If I were to want another pair, about the cheapest I've seen them is $400-$450 each.

Howdy,

If you take a look in that blue book of gun values, read the forward for the Ruger section.

The values for many guns and especially Rugers depend on the condition of the gun, the features

and the box and other bits in the box. If all these things are present then the Ruger will bring a bit more.

Ebay regularly has factory gun boxes that sell for way more than you might guess.

Shop around on any gun especially Ruger.

There are a lot of little features that might add 10 or 20%.

So be clear on features etc.

You might consider a plain single six without extra cylinder etc.

If you have a friendly local gun dealer he might sell you last years book for five or ten bucks.

Shop around and if possible try before you buy.

Take a look at gunbroker and see the 22s similar to what you want.

In answer to your orignial question: YES the prices of ruger single six and ruger 357 can be about the same.

Good luck.

Best

CR

The Blue Book of Gun Values is a great reference, however, the prices are not always realistic.

Supply and demand are a factor in pricing as is the area where you live.

If you are just looking for "decoration" guns like your ad mentioned, I suggest the Heritage Rough Rider. It is a piss poor gun but it is cheap. Or you can buy the non-gun revolvers for holster decorators.

Ruger Single Sixes are great guns and most folks that sell them end up regretting it.

My dos centavos worth. YMMV

My cousin has a VERY nice fixed-sight Ruger Single Six with the flay loading gate. He paid $60.00 for it way back in the day. Today it would probably fetch six or seven hundred. I just recently saw a very doggy flat gate offered at $425.00 on one of the auction sites.

I paid $300 about 6 months ago for a shooter quality early 3 screw. $450 seems to be about what my shots asks for a NIB SS with both cylinders.

FY: Paid $325 for a shooter Colt .22.

You asked.... :FlagAm:

Ruger Single Six 5 1/2" bbl, Blue, fixed sights Retails for $522/ sell $392.69 New/Lifetime warranty

Ruger Single Six 5 1/2" bbl, Stainless, fixed sights, Retails $584 sell $428.99 New/Lifetime warranty

Both models are convertible - 22lr and 22 mag cylinders

Add shipping to your FFL (but not to California) and you are in Single Six Heaven.

PM if interested.

MJJ

I have a 3 screw Single Six. My Pop gave it to me for Christmas He said He got way back and wanted it in the Family. He said it was worth something.How do I find out when it was made? s# is 21-12381 can anyone help?

It appears that the prices for single six .22's is all over the board, from $225 to $650. Just the view from my saddle.

Blackfoot :FlagAm:

What he said!!!

There are about 5 for sale up here in Western Mass. from $300-700.. $700 being a flat top.

I just traded in 2 6-1/2" Single Six's and got $475 in trade!!!

They are now for sale at over $300-375.

Great guns cheap shootin and most don't wan to part with them.

KK

Mine has a 5 3/8" barrel and the ser#99390 made in 1958 or so I guess.

Just bought a new 9 1/2 inch barreled single six at Fin Feather and Fur outfitters in Wooster Ohio for $389.95 on sale with a 5% customer appreciation discount. Blued finish and adjustable sights and with an extra cylinder for 22 magnum I thought it was a bargain.I can't shoot it like a rifle but that isn't the guns fault :FlagAm: $450 for a collectible single six isn't out of the realm and after all , It's Only Money!

Wakatomika.

The Blue Book of Gun Values is a great reference, however, the prices are not always realistic.

Supply and demand are a factor in pricing as is the area where you live.

If you are just looking for "decoration" guns like your ad mentioned, I suggest the Heritage Rough Rider. It is a piss poor gun but it is cheap. Or you can buy the non-gun revolvers for holster decorators.

Ruger Single Sixes are great guns and most folks that sell them end up regretting it.

My dos centavos worth. YMMV

That one is a scarce bird! And yes, thats a fair price for that model. Early single sixes with hard rubber grips and nice condition are worth more than the average .357 Blackhawk with transfer bar. Now a flat top .357 is a different matter. Watch the dollar sign spin too on a 3 screw Super Single with the 4 5/8 barrel. Like someone said....DETAILS!

What he said!!!

There are about 5 for sale up here in Western Mass. from $300-700.. $700 being a flat top.

I just traded in 2 6-1/2" Single Six's and got $475 in trade!!!

They are now for sale at over $300-375.

Great guns cheap shootin and most don't wan to part with them.

KK

Amen to that! I have a 5 1/2" three screw fixed sights with brown hard rubber Ruger grips and a 6 1/2" of the same type with walnut Ruger grips and the .22 mag cylinder- won't part with either of them.

Check out the Pawn Shos.

I have that I purchased at a Pawn Shop for $135 out the door

about 4 years ago. Wouldn't think value has gone up 3 or 4 times.

Serial number dates it to 1958.

I put on here that I was looking for a Single six .22 Ruger the only response i got was from a Gentelman wanting $450. I thought this was rediculous(No offense to the Pard who offerd) But I am new to this game and type of weapon. I have Glocks and H&K's but he wanted the same money as if it were a New Vaquero.

? I could buy a Glock 19 for that. So i guess,because im new to this, that this is reasonable or just way too much? I need input because i dont want to get ripped of with my Greenhorness.

Check the local gunshops in your area. A year ago I bought a used, adjustable sight, stainless, single six convertible with the extra cylinder, case, and book for $300. The gun could have passed for new, but the previous owner had lined the plastic case with felt........LOL. Guess he didn't want anything marrin the finish.

Archived