SASS Wire Forum

How to make the SASS wire

Capt. Morgan Rum, SASS #6859

Rule #1 Everybody has an opinion on pretty much everything. It is their opinion and they formulated it by whatever means they have at their disposal. It belongs to them.

Rule #2 Sometimes different individuals using their personal formulation process actually come up with the same opinion as someone else but just as frequently they don’t.

Rule #3 Being taller, shorter, thinner, fatter, richer, poorer, more or less educated, or even having lived longer does NOT make any ones opinion more right or valuable than another person’s opinion.

Rule #4 Expressing ones opinion is OK as long as it is clearly stated that what one is expressing is only ones opinion. This is especially true when ones opinion is invited. Expressing ones opinion as the right opinion and declaring someone else’s to be the wrong opinion will create friction. Agreeing to disagree on opinions while maintaining civil discourse will result in a more harmonious atmosphere.

Rule #5 Keeping ones opinion to themselves will ALWAYS avoid friction and maintain harmony. That is of course, unless ones intent is to create friction. In which case one should be prepared for any consequences that may arise.

All of this of course………..is just my opinion which I obviously couldn’t keep to myself. :rolleyes:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rule #6 - Never type anything you wouldn't be willing (or have the guts) to say to someone's face.

Some people think the relative anonymity of the internet and an alias gives them license to be rude. No it doesn't.

Robert Heinlein wrote: "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

This applies rather well to SASS, although I hope the only bad manners ever shown are stage targets that don't fall.

GIT

Although I agree with the OP, it is kinda funny about how things are on the Wire.

ALOT of our game is based on the popularity of the B-Westerns that alot of us grew up with and we all had our Saturday morning hero's. The success of those B-Westerns was based on Good Guy vs. Bad Guy.

When we base our game on those premises AND in alot of stage scenerios, we are the Good Guy shooting at those ornery steel Bad Guys. What makes us think the Wire is any different. Its all part of the game!

Maybe the reason some folks really get bent out of shape is because they don't realize that even The Wire is part of the game.

Well, anyhow, that's my humbled .02

..........Widder Clause (Walkin in a WidderWonder Land)

Rule #7 - If you are male and married you have given up your right to have a correct opinion.

I'm married and still have an opinion: "yes dear".... :rolleyes:

Rule #7 - If you are male and married you have given up your right to have a correct opinion.

The last time I had a disagreement with my wife, she was on her knees begging me. If I remember right she was saying something like. Please come out from under that bed and let me get my hands on you, you......... I dare you.

Sorry to get off topic, but I couldn't resist.

Capt Rum;

The vast majority of wire members are courteous, friendly folks that are a real pleasure to associate with. I like them very much, and enjoy the conversations and valuable input.

Then there are the "Others"... a small group of rude, argumentative, insulting and sarcastic individuals, who never seem to offer anything positive. I could do without them. I think that most members know who they are.

What to do about it? Short of blocking their access, there is little that can be done. I do my best to ignore them.

Snakebite

rule # 10 shut up and shoot!

most newbies come on the wire for help and guidance, most people come on the wire to get clarification or help with gear, guns, dress, or just the friendship with those who have been there and done that, maybe trying to understand a rule or question why they got a "P" , not to be belittled or made to feel like a fool for not knowing.

that's the 1 I live buy, don't care who shoots what or what class they shoot in, or what they wear, I'm all about the fun and friendship!

Rafe (have a great holiday) :rolleyes:

remember the troops far away from home during the holidays

Make the wire courteous, yes. Make harmonious, why? I enjoy the differences of opinion. I even have some of my own. Keep it civil but allow for controversy please.

We needn't sing in harmony, but we do have to use the same book of rules.

DD-DLoS

Make the wire courteous, yes. Make harmonious, why? I enjoy the differences of opinion. I even have some of my own. Keep it civil but allow for controversy please.

We needn't sing in harmony, but we do have to use the same book of rules.

DD-DLoS

Ya beat me too it...

Courteous is important...though sometimes human nature (for me at least) gets in the way. Usually with folks that have sent weirda$$ PM's to me in the past...

:rolleyes:

Rule #11: Everyone has a right to their own opinion. No one has a right to their own facts.

Rule #12: There are no Hemingways on the SASS WAHR. Hemingway is still being debated so what chance do you have that everyone will know exactly what you meant by what you wrote?

Rule #13: If you take anything written on this forum personally you should seek counseling immediately.

Rule #11: Everyone has a right to their own opinion. No one has a right to their own facts.

Rule #12: There are no Hemingways on the SASS WAHR. Hemingway is still being debated so what chance do you have that everyone will know exactly what you meant by what you wrote?

Rule #13: If you take anything written on this forum personally you should seek counseling immediately.

Hemingway was an extreme leftist!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule #6 - Never type anything you wouldn't be willing (or have the guts) to say to someone's face.

Some people think the relative anonymity of the internet and an alias gives them license to be rude. No it doesn't.

Ha!

I met a very nice couple from Alberta at the Convention. We had a very nice visit in the pub one evening. He confessed to being a Wire lurker. He told me that in person I'm just like the person he reads on the Wire. He didn't get up and leave, so I don't think he considered me rude.

Regards,

Allie Mo

...Rule #13: If you take anything written on this forum personally you should seek counseling immediately.

Sorry Brother,

I do believe that I have been personally insulted and many times. Just recently a thread evolved into an Allie-bashing festival. It went poof.

I have no difficulty with insults directed at me as I do not respect people who behave like that and the individuals involved treat others that way. I guess it makes them feel important to belittle others. I think it makes them look immature and lacking in debating skills with their reliance on ad hominem tactics.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I haven't read the rest of this thread, so forgive me if I repeat a message. Also, this is not original because I read it on the Wire in a slightly different context.

The only rule you need(if you are married) is this:

Put on your full cowboy garb, just as youy were ready to shoot a stage. Stand in front of a full length mirror. Call your wife into the room. If you can't say it with a straight face, don't put it on the wire.

According to who!! ;) Sorry, this whole thread was getting a little too harmonious :unsure::blink:

Now back to your regularly schedueled group hug :blink:

#14 Different opinions are good, keep it civil, don't take it personally.

#15 Relax-Enjoy :blink:

Jefro :rolleyes: Relax-Enjoy

This was posted on an old BBS (Bulletin Board Service) a long time ago:

"Don't be a cyber-coward

If you've got something to say to me that is:

Highly personal

Scary

Sad

Angry

Tragic

Vicious

Shocking

Any combination of the above

...please do it in person. (Actually, I prefer you don't do it all.) Sentient beings are filled with emotions (and NOT emoticons). E-mail programs aren't the best translators of this."

Olen

Sorry Capt.,

Recent events must have gotten to me...I did not contribute something positive. So, here goes.

Rule No. 16 Please do not use ad hominem tactics, which are attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Capt Rum;

The vast majority of wire members are courteous, friendly folks that are a real pleasure to associate with. I like them very much, and enjoy the conversations and valuable input.

Then there are the "Others"... a small group of rude, argumentative, insulting and sarcastic individuals, who never seem to offer anything positive. I could do without them. I think that most members know who they are.

What to do about it? Short of blocking their access, there is little that can be done. I do my best to ignore them.

Snakebite

+1

I recently gave myself a 10 day Wire "timeout".

Rather than posting, I lurked.

The first 5 days my blood boiled.

By the 10 day I had come to realized that NOTHING that is said on the Wire is earth shaking, mind blowing or in most cases either helpful or humorous. Occasionally there is good information and true humor.

I wrote about 10,000 words expressing my opinions in no uncertain terms with the plans of unloading when I came back on the Wire.

My final thought was that my dissertation would not change anyone's mind. It would not inform anyone that I cared to inform of my opinion, therefore was probably a waste of space. I treated it as such and discarded it. (Some parts of it were really well written, too)

I come before you now a kinder and gentler Noz. I'm sure that I will be angered and offended by opinions offered but I will refrain from expressing that anger.

One of my anger control methods is that I simply do not read posts or threads that I know will turn my neck red.

Like the wise man says:"Ain't no use of wrestling with a hog. Just gets you dirty and makes the hog angry."

I beg to disagree......... I will pay more attention (in most circumstances) to an educated opinion, and in the case of written statement or reply one that is not misspelled.

You can miss a great deal doing that. The note books of Lewis and Clark spelled the word mosquito 19 different ways. I am not sure how many of those variations were misspellings but the notebooks are well worth reading!

Very Best Regards,

BJT

By the 10 day I had come to realized that NOTHING that is said on the Wire is earth shaking, mind blowing or in most cases either helpful or humorous. Occasionally there is good information and true humor.

I wrote about 10,000 words expressing my opinions in no uncertain terms with the plans of unloading when I came back on the Wire.

My final thought was that my dissertation would not change anyone's mind. It would not inform anyone that I cared to inform of my opinion, therefore was probably a waste of space. I treated it as such and discarded it. (Some parts of it were really well written, too)

I come before you now a kinder and gentler Noz. I'm sure that I will be angered and offended by opinions offered but I will refrain from expressing that anger.

One of my anger control methods is that I simply do not read posts or threads that I know will turn my neck red.

Like the wise man says:"Ain't no use of wrestling with a hog. Just gets you dirty and makes the hog angry."

You sound like a wise man. Another way to put it that my wife tells me is; You can't teach a pig to sing. It makes the pig angry and frustrates you.

ad hominem, ad hominem, ad hominem :)

I have been staying away from hogs lately... I'm much happier

I have been staying away from hogs lately... I'm much happier

Yeah, but as ornery as you are, if you weren't so darn cute, we'd have run you off long ago. :)

Archived