SASS Wire Forum

Stainless Steel Colt SAA

Colt Senior Vice President confirmed that the Colt stainless SAA models will be offered in the second half of 2011.

P1840S,1850S and 1870S, 45 Colt caliber only in the three standard barrel lengths

That's just not right!

But it is! Colt is finally chosen an excellent steel to build their fine revolver out of. I could scarsley afford one before, I only hope I'll be able to pick up one of these stainless beauties when they come out. Smithy.

About $1500 Retail

But it is! Colt is finally chosen an excellent steel to build their fine revolver out of. I could scarsley afford one before, I only hope I'll be able to pick up one of these stainless beauties when they come out. Smithy.

At $1500 a copy I'll stick to EMF's Great Western II in Stainless for about a third the cost.

At $1500 a copy I'll stick to EMF's Great Western II in Stainless for about a third the cost.

Sorry,Apples and Oranges..No comparison with a Colt

Actual retail so far is $1490, based only on one major National Distributor's pricing...might be less by the time they hit the market but not by much I would bet..They will be very 'hot' and very limited at first release(if you don't want one, I guarantee you there are a ton of shooters that do)..It does show Colt's response to consumer desires though.Personally, I still prefer nickel, but a new,younger generation of Colt shooters than I am want stainless .. I represent the old fart Colt Shooters(Nearly 50 years years of shooting Colt SAA's ). Kudos to Colt for taking the Colt SAA into the 21st century..A very positive step I must admit, even though I am certainly a traditionalist when it comes to Colts.The stainless steel SAA is a done deal.

How many other USA made guns have lasted in 99% the same configuration for over 153 years! None..Only the Colt SAA!

Although I shoot and enjoy my Rugers, my guess is that Colt won't be able to keep up with demand for a couple years.

Now that this info is on the Wire and will probably be in the CC and numerous other gun mags soon, they will have a backlogged order into 2013 or further.

Ifn any of you Coltsters want one of these, ya best give ole Sixgun Shorty or your favorite Colt dealer a quick call. There will be a waiting period on these new babies.

..........Widder

I agree with Shorty. These will be pretty and practical, but not my cup of tea. When it comes to classic firearms (like Colts), I prefer the traditional finishes (either blue/casehardened, or nickel). However, I will be interested to see one when they come out. Happy trails, Squint

Sorry,Apples and Oranges..No comparison with a Colt

Actual retail so far is $1490, based only on one major National Distributor's pricing...might be less by the time they hit the market but not by much I would bet..They will be very 'hot' and very limited at first release(if you don't want one, I guarantee you there are a ton of shooters that do)..It does show Colt's response to consumer desires though.Personally, I still prefer nickel, but a new,younger generation of Colt shooters than I am want stainless .. I represent the old fart Colt Shooters(Nearly 50 years years of shooting Colt SAA's ). Kudos to Colt for taking the Colt SAA into the 21st century..A very positive step I must admit, even though I am certainly a traditionalist when it comes to Colts.The stainless steel SAA is a done deal.

How many other USA made guns have lasted in 99% the same configuration for over 153 years! None..Only the Colt SAA!

Here, here and well said.

I too am a traditionalist and find I prefer blue guns, except for my K9 which is SS because that's what I found first.

I have a Ruger SS gun - ROBAR turned it black for me!

I'm fixing to buy more Colts, and they'll all be blue, until these are available and I've a spare $1,500 laying about -

because at some point I just might have to have one as my hiking & camping gun. A stainless SAA in .45 Colt

strikes me a s a perfect belt gun for those four - six day hikes, or the two week camping trips, where I don't want

to have to clean it or do more than make sure the barrel is clear . . ..

Even if it stays in the safe forever - I should own at least one of them . .someday . . . .

Thanks for finding out about this and getting the word out - a lot of us Colt fans do appreciate it!

Shadow Catcher

Next thing ya know they'll come with modern plasticized grips.

Just a note. This won't be the first single action revolver that Colt has offered and today they bring a pretty penny. Anyone guess what they are?

Sam IIRC the Colt second generation stainless steel 1860 Army, I wish I could when they first became available snapped up a couple of dozen of them. Adios Sgt. Jake

Next thing ya know they'll come with modern plasticized grips.

Just a note. This won't be the first single action revolver that Colt has offered and today they bring a pretty penny. Anyone guess what they are?

All of Colt's revolvers up to the SAA were single actions so I'm not sure what you mean. Patterson, Walker, Dragoon, 49, etc.

sounds great. now all colt has to do is lower the prices and they will be flying off the shelves.

The reality is that these SS Colt SAA's will be so limited they will sell all they can make at any price!

It will be years after their release before you might see a significant price drop if ever

Collectors will be all over the first couple years production and they don't care what they cost!

Will they be able to withstand the more powerfull loads?

That depends on the exact Stainless alloy that Colt uses. There are many different Stainless alloys. I suspect they will be of the same strength as the current blued carbon steel SAA.

Sam IIRC the Colt second generation stainless steel 1860 Army, I wish I could when they first became available snapped up a couple of dozen of them. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thats it Jake. They were awful rare and pricey even when they came out.

They're like everything else, 69 Z-28's, and old hemi cars. If ya only knew. Back in the early 80's I had an FFL and SAA's were around $500.00 dealer cost, sometimes less when they had too many. And I bought several 8" Colt Pythons for $375.00 in the same time period. The RIGHT guns and collector cars are a better investment than stocks, but like everything else, I woulda probably put my money in the Chevy Vegas........

They're like everything else, 69 Z-28's, and old hemi cars. If ya only knew. Back in the early 80's I had an FFL and SAA's were around $500.00 dealer cost, sometimes less when they had too many. And I bought several 8" Colt Pythons for $375.00 in the same time period. The RIGHT guns and collector cars are a better investment than stocks, but like everything else, I woulda probably put my money in the Chevy Vegas........

Yep, but the right stocks would have out paced Pythons and Diamondbacks. Apple, Google, and currently silver come to mind.

I'm kinda ambivalent about a SS Colt SAA. I just can't envision every buying one unless it fell in my lap for a song. But that may be what some of thos potential buyers of SS Armies said and wish now they'd bit.

I agree, they will be great collectors guns. Too bad I can only afford shooters. Well, not really, I buy them to shoot, not collect. Years from now when I am dead, my kids can sit around and talk about how much fun they had with me shooting all our Uberti clones and having a good time, instead of trying to decide if they should sell those couple of expensive hardly fired Colt's of Dad's. Maybe if I was one of those guys who had enough money to amass a great collection, ya know, like the ones in the Butterfield and Butterfield auction flyers that get mailed to my house, I would be lusting for a new Colt. But like I think most of us are, I am just a working guy who wants to go shoot and have fun without having to mortgage the house. Maybe if I was some sort of Olympic competitor and needed the last little bit of accuracy I would spend that sort of money for the best available. But face it, we just blast steel from 15-25 feet away, and it doesn't take much to do that. But what do I know, I shoot '72 Opentops with Blackpowder. Dang cheap Ubertis anyway, been shooting them 2-3 times a month for 4 years now and the stupid things haven't broke yet, must be defective or somethin'.

Carbon steel is the only way. Carried a carbon steel revolver back in the day, carry a carbon steel Colt 1911 now. Only carbon steel wears right when shot, cleaned, and oiled over and over again.

They sell stainless steel woks too but they don't use them in Chinatown.

Archived