SASS Wire Forum

Colt Single Action in Stainless Steel

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

Nope, at least not per Colt catalog for 2010.

My guess - Some gun-dumb clerk at Davidson's fumble fingered the data entry.

Looking at the Davidson's site, they do list three variants for Stainless (with different product numbers from the nickel models), at almost a $200 price premium. Maybe there is something going on here that Davidson's let slip even before Colt announces it?!

Good luck, GJ

(But, I bet Sixgun Shorty knows if this is a possibility in the future)

There are NO stainless Colt SAA's..Period! Blued, Nickel or in the white...NO SS!

Colt 1911's, Yes, but NO SAA's!

I'll call Colt now and make inquiries with the right folks at Colt if there is a SS SAA in the future and let the Wire know definitively, but as of today, there are no SS SAA Colts!

Update: I just received this e mail from Colt's head of production re a future Stainless Steel SAA:

Nothing definite yet

So there ya go..but to my surprise, that also implies that Colt is thinking about it.Personally, I hope Colt NEVER makes a SS SAA!

Let's keep at least one SAA, the Original, Historically 'Pure'!

Except for hunting rifles and guns made to keep on boats, I am not a fan of stainless steel for guns and never have been.

Particularly when it comes to Colts!

Personally I think it would be great if they did. Folks that want blue could still buy it and nickel guns already look like stainless....

Personally I think it would be great if they did. Folks that want blue could still buy it and nickel guns already look like stainless....

No, Stainless guns look like nickel. Nickel plating guns was common long before Stainless Steel even existed.

I think I tend to agree with Shorty. I much prefer blued guns to Stainless. Yes, I do own a few Stainless, but given my druthers, if a gun is available in a Stainless version and a blued version, I will go with the blued one every time. I much prefer a little bit of honest wear to the blue than a shiny gun. And I also completely disagree with those who think one needs a Stainless gun if one is going to shoot Black Powder.

Well, Ill stick with my stainless guns. At the end of the day, if you don't feel like cleaning them that night, no harm. I really like blue and color case guns, I think there's room for all. And stainless guns are MUCH easier to maintain when shooting BP IMHO...

No, Stainless guns look like nickel. Nickel plating guns was common long before Stainless Steel even existed.

I think I tend to agree with Shorty. I much prefer blued guns to Stainless. Yes, I do own a few Stainless, but given my druthers, if a gun is available in a Stainless version and a blued version, I will go with the Stainless every time. I much prefer a little bit of honest wear to the blue than a shiny gun. And I also completely disagree with those who think one needs a Stainless gun if one is going to shoot Black Powder.

I'm a drankin but you need ta reread ye post!

RRR

I may have drank enough I don't no what U mean. :P

Way I look at it, that's why they make Fords, Chevys and Dodges. You're more likely ta spend money if ya can buy what you want....RRR, I noticed that, too, and I ain't even drinkin'....

Way I look at it, that's why they make Fords, Chevys and Dodges. You're more likely ta spend money if ya can buy what you want....RRR, I noticed that, too, and I ain't even drinkin'....

Shivalay OMAA (OH my achin a$$) Tha best thing a chevy got goin is tha comm. wid tha new ford baby walker with tha gooseneck trailer! Thats funny I don't care who ye R

RRR

Driftwood; you have used the word "Stainless" 7 times in your post. You might want to change #6 to "Blued" and it would make more sense. Just sayin'

Big Jake 1001

Don't ya' just love a definite answer.

You obviously have never dealt with Colt!

They tend to be pretty nebulous and noncommittal when it comes to questions about anything Colt has planned for the future

Great Company, Great products....Being a Colt Dealer I talk to them a lot;And I still know nothing about them corporately ... :rolleyes::P

RRR You know me, I'd bleed Chevy orange iffn ya cut me. Sides, Ford is good fer the economy, they sell a LOT a parts.....

RRR You know me, I'd bleed Chevy orange iffn ya cut me. Sides, Ford is good fer the economy, they sell a LOT a parts.....

Love ye pard!

Dat is no excuse fer Driftwood! He's supposed ta be flawless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RRR

Update: I just received this e mail from Colt's head of production re a future Stainless Steel SAA:

Nothing definite yet

So there ya go..but to my surprise, that also implies that Colt is thinking about it.Personally,

I might buy a pair if they did make them in Stainless.

I might buy a pair if they did make them in Stainless.

Didn't say I wouldn't sell them..just don't care for stainless SAA's or even the idea of a SS SAA..but I'll sure as hell give my clients what they want..if they want SS, they'll get them if Colt makes them!

OK, now I am pretty absolutely sure that in 2005 when I was at End of Trail I stopped by the COLT booth and they had two stainless steel Colt SAA's on display. They said they were coming out soon!! Been lookin for em ever since!

Howdy Again

Sorry, I corrected my mistake.

Long Branch Louie:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I almost never clean my blued guns the same day I shoot them with Black Powder. I try to clean them within a week, but I often don't get around to that either. Blued guns will not turn into piles of rust if you don't clean them right away, you just have to have the right cleaning regimen.

As far as being easier to clean, I have stated many times that Stainless guns are no easier to clean than blued guns. It is the surface finish that makes the difference in ease of cleaning, not the metal alloy. A highly polished surface will always be easier to clean than a rough or porous surface. A rough surface gives fouling more purchase to hold onto the metal. I have tried side by side tests cleaning both blued guns and Stainless guns. In my experience, all other things being equal, it takes the exact same amount of elbow grease to clean either one.

Howdy Again

Sorry, I corrected my mistake.

Long Branch Louie:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I almost never clean my blued guns the same day I shoot them with Black Powder. I try to clean them within a week, but I often don't get around to that either. Blued guns will not turn into piles of rust if you don't clean them right away, you just have to have the right cleaning regimen.

As far as being easier to clean, I have stated many times that Stainless guns are no easier to clean than blued guns. It is the surface finish that makes the difference in ease of cleaning, not the metal alloy. A highly polished surface will always be easier to clean than a rough or porous surface. A rough surface gives fouling more purchase to hold onto the metal. I have tried side by side tests cleaning both blued guns and Stainless guns. In my experience, all other things being equal, it takes the exact same amount of elbow grease to clean either one.

I never said blued guns would turn into plies of rust if they are not cleaned right away. It doen't matter what kind of regimen you have for cleaning them, blued guns will indeed rust if they are not cared for in a reasonably timely manner. What I really like about stainless guns is that if you touch one in a safe for example, especially those of us who "rust" things easier than others, you don't have a rust spot when you come back. I love blued guns, had my own reblueing operation for several years. And THAT is what I mean about being easier to maintain. I never said they were easier to clean. As a lifelong tool/mold maker, I have some understanding of surface finishes....

Colt SAA in stainless . . . I sure hope not.

That'd be the same as:

- A good steak cooked in a microwave

- A '69 Mustang with a fiberglass body

- I nice single malt scotch served in a Dixie cup

- A pretty girl with too much plastic surgery

- A nice pair of cowboy boots made out of Naugahyde Vinyl

The fellas with the Manhattan Project who developed the A-Bomb had a good quote that applies here: "In our rush to find out if we could do this, we never stopped to ask ourselves SHOULD we be doing this."

Colt SAA in stainless . . . I sure hope not.

That'd be the same as:

- A good steak cooked in a microwave

- A '69 Mustang with a fiberglass body

- I nice single malt scotch served in a Dixie cup

- A pretty girl with too much plastic surgery

- A nice pair of cowboy boots made out of Naugahyde Vinyl

The fellas with the Manhattan Project who developed the A-Bomb had a good quote that applies here: "In our rush to find out if we could do this, we never stopped to ask ourselves SHOULD we be doing this."

And yet, they DID it....

I never said blued guns would turn into plies of rust if they are not cleaned right away. It doen't matter what kind of regimen you have for cleaning them, blued guns will indeed rust if they are not cared for in a reasonably timely manner. What I really like about stainless guns is that if you touch one in a safe for example, especially those of us who "rust" things easier than others, you don't have a rust spot when you come back. I love blued guns, had my own reblueing operation for several years. And THAT is what I mean about being easier to maintain. I never said they were easier to clean. As a lifelong tool/mold maker, I have some understanding of surface finishes....

News Flash..Stainless steel WILL rust over time and if not treated

Ask anyone that has ever owned a sailboat on the ocean about stainless and rust....

Yes, it takes harsher environments like salt water and ocean air, but it will rust

Some will and some won't no matter what. There or so many differant metals that people put in with SS.

Some will and some won't no matter what. There or so many differant metals that people put in with SS.

+1 some stainless will NEVER rust...

OK.Here's about all that i was able to find out about a SS Colt SAA:

Final decision has not been made as of yet but it appears that the Stainless version of the Single Action Army did go out on some 2011 price sheets to Distributors. If it is approved for production in 2011 my guess is that it will not be seen in the early part of the year.

Archived