SASS Wire Forum

PA State Championship Match

Posted (edited)

UPDATE: Scores are up on the El Posse Grande FB page and on the website at NMSO XXV – SASS PA State Championship 2024 – El Posse Grande
My sincerest thanks to the committee, the vendors and all those joined us to compete in the match.  Our Top Gun was James Samuel Pike.  Tombstone Coty and Alamo retained their state champion titles.  Scores will be posted in a day or so.  There is no internet at our range and our scorekeeper is only now on her way home.
Please join us someday.  We have the best brass pickers in SASS and according to the compliments, we have the best caterer, too.

Edited by Black Hills Barb
  • Like 4

Was a great match, great stages, and I had a great time. Yes the brass pickers were the best, and yes the catered Saturday evening meal was absolutely delicious. I'll be back next year!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PICTURES BARB!!  We need PICTURES!!

Did I mention PICTURES??

I did not have the chance to take a single pic and I also missed my own posse pic.  Are you on FB?  There a bunch there and you can also ask to join the El Posse Grande group.

Posted (edited)

The Caterer comment was right on.  The veteran owned service over did themselves when providing the meal.  No one went away hungry after choosing Chicken, Brisket, Baked Beans, and Macaroni & Cheese.  One could select their items or just try a sample of all.  Great Meal for all.

I forgot the Cole Slaw.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider
  • Thanks 1

The Stages were well written with varied twists.  They have many different target designs, not just some squares.  The Stages were written to accommodate the various shooting styles.

The pards were all so friendly with many offering to assist this older shooter.

The match was very efficiently organized and managed.  Great job once again Barb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

The Caterer comment was right on.  The veteran owned service over did themselves when providing the meal.  No one went away hungry after choosing Chicken, Brisket, Baked Beans, and Macaroni & Cheese.  One could select their items or just try a sample of all.  Great Meal for all.

They've accepted our reservation for next year.   They book up early and after hearing so many raves about their food, especially the brisket, I wasted no time to contact them.  They were blown away by how many shooters approached them with compliments on their food.  The owner is not only a veteran, but a shooter of other disciplines.  Just another reason for doing business with them.

• Like 5

By now many have read the posts on Facebook about our medical emergency at the match.  One of our shooters had an out of battery discharge.  Fast response by so many got him on-site medical care and transport to the nearest ER.  He's been declared fine now.  After, I believe, 4 different doctor/optometrist appointments he has gotten a clean bill of health. 
However, NEVER, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF EYE PROTECTION!  The glasses didn't even show a nick or scratch.  The shooter has a deep cut just at the edge of his eye socket.  These glasses will be placed in a shadow box and hung on the wall in our clubhouse to drive that point home.
May be an image of eyeglasses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Was a fun match...nice stages and those that have never attended the PA state match should think about adding that to their shooting calendar for next year! Not to forget got to shoot with several fun Darksiders. 

Sgt H

15 years ago, at PA State '09 is when I was born a darksider, my first full match doing real black.  My life has been downhill ever since........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cemetery said:

15 years ago, at PA State '09 is when I was born a darksider, my first full match doing real black.  My life has been downhill ever since........

And yet, after all these years, you still have that sparkle in your eyes, not to mention coming out of your shotgun barrels!

I was a pleasure shooting with you and Double Tap Taylor again, as well as all of the folks on Posse 8!  You guys all Rock!  Holli and I had a lot of fun, with a great group of folks, and good lord willing, we will be back again next year.

For the record, I have no idea how in the heck I managed to get a clean match.  I thought for sure I messed up on Stage 4 because I literally couldn't see anything.  I was aiming by looking for the target stand bases and trying to keep the rifle pointed at the same height above the ground as I swept across the targets.  All I can guess is that the spotters couldn't see anything either.  :rolleyes:  I suspect it was one of those situations that can best be described by the phrase "And much discussion ensued"...... :o

Now I just need to find a "Ribbon Of Shame" to pin my "Dirtiest Clean Match Ever" award onto before next year! :P

(If you don't know what a Ribbon Of Shame is, watch the 1986 movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton :lol: )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Barb,

Yer web site is showing up with a warning to CLOSE THE PAGE???

You can continue to the page.  I just did.  I have informed our webmaster.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Barb,

Yer web site is showing up with a warning to CLOSE THE PAGE???

That message is just for you, Coffinmaker?

My software protection will not let me open the page says a corrupted site with hacking issues?

11 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

My software protection will not let me open the page says a corrupted site with hacking issues?

Our webmaster is working on it.  However, I saw the message and proceeded without incident.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Cumberland Kid said:

Congratulations, Coty!

To go to this Match, I go to Cumberland and make a left.  I have yet to see the Kid here.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The State Champion buckles were terrific. Congrats to my wife Bdoc LGF.

I hope they continue to recognize State Champion catigory winners with these awesome buckles.

IMG_0750.jpeg

Congrats Bdoc!

21 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The State Champion buckles were terrific. Congrats to my wife Bdoc LGF.

I hope they continue to recognize State Champion catigory winners with these awesome buckles.

As announced at the awards ceremony, this was a special award for our shooters that helped us to celebrate our 25th Anniversary.  To add these buckles every year would likely increase registration costs by $15-$20.  With all other costs in our world increasing, this would most likely bring about a decrease in attendance.  However, we will always continue to recognize our Pennsylvania champions in category as we have done from the beginning. 
Match expenses bring about tough decisions to make, and they get tougher every year. 

• Like 1

Hello everybody.  I've been off the screen for awhile because we have been dealing with the decline and eventual passing of my aunt and uncle who lived near me and I was very close to for many years.  So my attention was taken up and I didn't get around to making plans to come up this year.  I'm glad to hear that everything went well for the 25th anniversary.  Maybe I can get up next year.

• Sad 1