SASS Wire Forum

Eating Yesteryear

Many of these I like and still make or buy.   Some I've tried and once is more than enough.  A few I've never heard of.  And a couple are a hard "NO!" just from reading the receipt.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Lunch? Several of them, I make for supper and I still make SOS for breakfast on occasion.

Beets and pimentos...you couldn't make me eat anything with them in it if you tried.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i dont have na problem with some , i never liked others , a coup[le i never heard of and dont care to .............im not much for beets and pimentos either , sounds rude 

• Like 1

I've never cared for Vienna Sausages, which is odd because I like hot dogs right out of the package.  Tuna Noodle Casserole I never really had, but I did have creamed tuna over noodles or crushed crackers, more or less the same thing. Had turkey a la king, again, same thing as the chicken version.  Loved liver and onions, especially the caramelized onions when they got a little crispy.

Waldorf Salad is a "never again" for me.  

Never had the "tomato surprise" but have had stuffed tomatoes.  Depends on the stuffing .
That ham and banana abomination....no, just no.
Creamed shrimp?  Never had it but it seems like a cross between shrimp chowder and shrimp ala king. 
Egg salad aspic?  No....pretty much any aspic....just no.

• Like 1

Fired SPAM sandwich - YUM.  Aspic is NOT food.  Tuna Noodle Casserole is righteous good stuff.  Sloppy Joe is a lot like Road Kill Helper - NOT food unless made from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Liver, yes.  Onions, no.  I prefer a good, thick-enough-to-sculpt country sausage gravy on my liver.  The meal, not my vital organs.

Green beans in any form, no.  I spent too many summers picking string beans to ever let one get in my mouth.

SPAM, once in a blue moon.  Fried SPAM sandwiches were my wife's choice.

Vienna sausages, no.  I read the contents once and never ate another Vienna sausage and..... I stopped reading labels.

Never heard of banana meat loaf but I'll give it a try.

What is "aspic"?  It sounds like something you'd get out of your nose.

All the rest are still on my list of good stuff, but my Sloppy Joes aren't very good.  Don't know what I do wrong.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

Pre-teen camping in the southern Colorado mountains; we made sloppy Joes from scratch for dinner.  

Brown a package of hamburger in the skillet.

Pour in a can of pork and beans.

Pour in a can of drained diced tomatoes.

Salt and pepper.  These days I would add some sliced jalapeños.

None was leftover.  Hiking 5 or 6 miles at 8000 feet carrying your own pack does wonders for your appetite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What is "aspic"?  It sounds like something you'd get out of your nose.

It's the gelatin you get from boiling down beef bones.

Then you use that to hold together various  savory elements,  usually  in a mold of some sort. Aspics were once very popular. Lord knows why.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Aspics were once very popular. Lord knows why.

Can we get a big

AMEN.jpg.aae0fc416eabf58109d66163dc007495.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciated the fact that the gent called SOS by name, as it should be. There were a few things in that video I used to love. There are a few I wouldn’t try back then and I won’t try them now. That bananas and ham thing flipped my stomach over when I saw it. My Mom made me eat that sh…stuff once…Once! She was not happy about me upchucking the whole mess on the kitchen floor. 
Pimento cheese? Get a rope!

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Pimento cheese? Get a rope!

HERETIC!!!  Pimento Cheese is a most sublime culinary treat!  Crowning crackers, enhancing sourdough bread, filling griddle cheese sandwiches,  topping sliced tomatoes- preferably on a broiled open faced tomato and onion sandwich, smothering a patty of 80/20 ground beef on a burger.   AH!  Culinary bliss!

I agree about that ham and banana abomination.  I've never had it, and just reading about it makes me gag.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
Heaping scorn and revilement upon the ham & banana abomination
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

HERETIC!!!  Pimento Cheese is a most sublime culinary treat! 

So you’re the one keeping that stuff alive as a viable option for alienating dinner guests and traumatizing small children…like me…a few years back…50+ years back…:lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

So you’re the one keeping that stuff alive as a viable option for alienating dinner guests and traumatizing small children…like me…a few years back…50+ years back…:lol:

A dirty job,  but someone has to do it!

Lucerne used to make a  commercial version that was pretty good.   I learned to make it in the '70s.  For some reason when I make it for potlucks people gobble it like it will be outlawed at midnight. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Lucerne used to make a  commercial version that was pretty good. 

I remember that from the 80’s when I worked in aerospace.  We had a potluck a month, it seemed, and this one lady would bring it and a box of Captains Wafers as her contribution. Everyone thought it was homemade, probably because she said it was. 
One day she was running late and I saw her scooping out of the factory container and putting it in a fancy Tupperware container. 

Every time I think about pimento anything my tongue does this weird side curling under thing like it’s trying to protect me from the full flavor of that…that…stuff.

The thought of pimento cheese with pimento loaf lunchmeat, i.e.; welfare lunchmeat, on a sammich makes me want to hide and hope it goes away soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

One day she was running late and I saw her scooping out of the factory container and putting it in a fancy Tupperware container. 

The stuff I remember came in blocks, just like their other block cheeses.   It wasn't as soft as the cheese balls or stuff in the tubs, but wasn't as firm as their cheddars.  Had little flecks of the pimento throughout.  

Sometimes I'll add olives.  Or use only olives and leave out the pimento.  Love a pimento and olive loaf sandwidge (sic).  Made my own olive loaf a few times.  Mmmm.....olive and caper loaf!  

I've not used this: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Olive Loaf.pdf  but similar.  Also added olives to potted chicken, potted pork, and potted ham.

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The stuff I remember came in blocks, just like their other block cheeses. 

This pimento cheese was in a tub. It was soft. Maybe it was Reiser’s or Rieser’s? It made such an impact that my boss’ wife made crockpot Queso with Rotel and ground beef. Everyone looked at it and asked if it was Sue’s contribution.  Whenever they were told “No” the response was usually “Thank God!”. :lol:

• Haha 2

Pimento cheese - must be a point in time.  Mom served it when I was a kid in grade school.  I hated it.  At that time it came in jars with snap on lids designed to be reused as drinking glasses.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger Recipe

Tried this recipe?

Tell others what you thought of it and give it a star rating below.

3.17 from 24 votes

Combine the steakhouse steakburger and smoked cheddar pimento cheese on a buttery brioche bun and you’ve got a burger that would make any Southerner proud!

Makes:

Servings: 2 servings

Takes:

Prep Time: 10minutes minutes

Cook Time: 25minutes minutes

Ingredients

8 ounces shredded smoked cheddar cheese, about 2 cups

4 ounces softened cream cheese

1/3 cup mayonnaise (preferably Duke’s)

4 ounce jar pimentos, drained and diced

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)

1 pound ground chuck

1 teaspoon  Morton Coarse Kosher Salt 

2 buns (I prefer brioche hamburger buns)

Notes:

About the salt. Remember, kosher salt is half the concentration of table salt so if you use table salt, use half as much. 

Prep. 

For the spread, combine the shredded smoked cheddar, softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos in a medium sized mixing bowl. Blend well. Refrigerated the smoked pimento cheese spread until ready to use.

For the spice mix, combine the black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Do not add the salt yet. It can compress the meat and we want the meat loose to hold the juices.

Spread the meat out on a plate and sprinkle the spice mix onto the meat distributing it evenly. Divide the meat into two 8-ounce (226.8 g) portions. Gently form the meat into patties that are approximately 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) wider than the bun to allow for shrinkage during the cooking process.

Prepare a grill for indirect cooking by placing a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets on one side of the grill’s charcoal grate in order to create direct and indirect cooking zones. Adjust the grill vents to bring the temperature to about 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side. Add 2 to 3 chunks of your favorite smoking wood to the charcoal for flavor. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is off and the other half is heated enough to maintain a temperature of approximately 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side.

Place the burgers on the indirect side of the grill and sprinkle the tops with salt. Cover the grill, positioning the vent directly above the burgers in order to force the smoke over and around the meat. Cook the patties for about 10 minutes.

Push the tip of a rapid-read thermometer such as the Thermapen into the side of both burgers. When the temperature reaches 105°F (40.6°C), flip the burgers, sprinkle with salt, and cook for approximately 10 more minutes. Because they are not over direct heat, you do not need to flip them often.

When the burgers are about 20°F (-6.7°C) below the final doneness temp you want (see AmazingRibs.com’s award winning Food Temperature Guide) ,get ready to move them to the direct-heat zone.

If you are on a gas grill, crank it up to high. On a charcoal grill, you may want to add more pre-lit coals. If necessary, take the meat off of the grill and close the lid while the hot side heats up. If you have a pellet cooker or another grill that doesn’t have enough radiant heat to sear, put a cast iron pan or griddle in there—when the griddle collects a lot of heat, it can do the job.

Put the burgers on the direct heat side to brown them. Leave the lid up so the heat is concentrated on one side of each burger. If the fire flares up, move the burger to another spot—flare ups can deposit bad-tasting soot. Flip the meat every minute, acting like a human rotisserie, so all the energy is focused on one surface at a time. The interior will warm, but not too much. Remove the burgers when browned and the interior reaches 5°F (-15°C) below the desired temperature. Don't overcook them while waiting for the second side to be perfect. If one side is paler than the other, that’s acceptable.

Set the bottom of each bun on a plate and top each one with a burger patty. Add smoked pimento cheese to each patty and crown it with the top bun. Serve immediately.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger Recipe

Tried this recipe?

Tell others what you thought of it and give it a star rating below.

3.17 from 24 votes

Combine the steakhouse steakburger and smoked cheddar pimento cheese on a buttery brioche bun and you’ve got a burger that would make any Southerner proud!

Makes:

Servings: 2 servings

Takes:

Prep Time: 10minutes minutes

Cook Time: 25minutes minutes

Ingredients

8 ounces shredded smoked cheddar cheese, about 2 cups

4 ounces softened cream cheese

1/3 cup mayonnaise (preferably Duke’s)

4 ounce jar pimentos, drained and diced

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)

1 pound ground chuck

Notes:

About the salt. Remember, kosher salt is half the concentration of table salt so if you use table salt, use half as much. 

Prep. 

For the spread, combine the shredded smoked cheddar, softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos in a medium sized mixing bowl. Blend well. Refrigerated the smoked pimento cheese spread until ready to use.

For the spice mix, combine the black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Do not add the salt yet. It can compress the meat and we want the meat loose to hold the juices.

Spread the meat out on a plate and sprinkle the spice mix onto the meat distributing it evenly. Divide the meat into two 8-ounce (226.8 g) portions. Gently form the meat into patties that are approximately 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) wider than the bun to allow for shrinkage during the cooking process.

Prepare a grill for indirect cooking by placing a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets on one side of the grill’s charcoal grate in order to create direct and indirect cooking zones. Adjust the grill vents to bring the temperature to about 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side. Add 2 to 3 chunks of your favorite smoking wood to the charcoal for flavor. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is off and the other half is heated enough to maintain a temperature of approximately 225°F (107.2°C) on the indirect side.

Place the burgers on the indirect side of the grill and sprinkle the tops with salt. Cover the grill, positioning the vent directly above the burgers in order to force the smoke over and around the meat. Cook the patties for about 10 minutes.

Push the tip of a rapid-read thermometer such as the Thermapen into the side of both burgers. When the temperature reaches 105°F (40.6°C), flip the burgers, sprinkle with salt, and cook for approximately 10 more minutes. Because they are not over direct heat, you do not need to flip them often.

When the burgers are about 20°F (-6.7°C) below the final doneness temp you want (see AmazingRibs.com’s award winning Food Temperature Guide) ,get ready to move them to the direct-heat zone.

If you are on a gas grill, crank it up to high. On a charcoal grill, you may want to add more pre-lit coals. If necessary, take the meat off of the grill and close the lid while the hot side heats up. If you have a pellet cooker or another grill that doesn’t have enough radiant heat to sear, put a cast iron pan or griddle in there—when the griddle collects a lot of heat, it can do the job.

Put the burgers on the direct heat side to brown them. Leave the lid up so the heat is concentrated on one side of each burger. If the fire flares up, move the burger to another spot—flare ups can deposit bad-tasting soot. Flip the meat every minute, acting like a human rotisserie, so all the energy is focused on one surface at a time. The interior will warm, but not too much. Remove the burgers when browned and the interior reaches 5°F (-15°C) below the desired temperature. Don't overcook them while waiting for the second side to be perfect. If one side is paler than the other, that’s acceptable.

Set the bottom of each bun on a plate and top each one with a burger patty. Add smoked pimento cheese to each patty and crown it with the top bun. Serve immediately.

There, fixed it for you...sounds good now.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

There, fixed it for you...sounds good now.;)

Never tried it. It was the featured recipe in an email I received today.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Notes:

That sounds pretty good.  I may have to try it next time I buy ground beef.

BUT, 

BEWARE!  All kosher salts are not the same.  Morton measures more like table salt than Diamond Crystal.  That part I highlighted holds true for Diamond Krystal, not Morton.

• 1 cup of Morton’s Kosher Salt = 241 grams = 1 3/4 cup minus 1 teaspoon of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
  • 1 cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt = 137 grams = 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt

Table salt:

1 cup or 16 tablespoons 288 grams 10.16 oz

So the Morton is very slightly less salty per volume than table salt.  Diamond Crystal is dramatically less salty per volume than table salt.  It also dissolves much faster than Mortons or table salt.

• Thanks 1