Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Scam


Recommended Posts

I posted on a members post i would take some wooden cartridge boxes and someone texted me a request for pay pal funds from a new jersey number 2108396378 when the member lives in ohio, he asked me to send money to mlperry6470@yahoo.com, this member has sold me multiple items however this guy doesnt know what he sold me, i would recommend not sending money to this e mail

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might want to take the website address off of your contacts on your profile. If the scammer sent you a text he probably got your phone number from your website, there are 3 telephone numbers listed there.

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you i think i did i just wanted to warn folks of this clown, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boom Pop let me know that a scammer took advantage of. His posting that he wanted to buy the cartridge boxes I had for sale.

We got it taken care of, and the scammer gets zero!

May he rot in hell!!!!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s the same skunk that tried to scam my listings as well…same phone number. 2108396378
hope everyone here learns to recognize his ways before he takes another pard. 
 

I got a tall tree and a short rope for that carpetbagger when I find him. 
 

stay vigilant while evil forces are at work!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not what the purpose would be for allowing guests on the SASS classifieds, seems like that is just inviting scammers, maybe something to it I don't understand...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

At this point, I would be for a members-only SASS Wire and SASS Classifieds.

If you want to buy/sell/comment/PM, pay yer dues and join SASS.

Otherwise you may look only!

Our members are not scammer targets -- They deserve a safe forum!

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

At this point, I would be for a members-only SASS Wire and SASS Classifieds.

If you want to buy/sell/comment/PM, pay yer dues and join SASS.

Otherwise you may look only!

Our members are not scammer targets -- They deserve a safe forum!

--Dawg

^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! These scammers are becoming very good at what they do and making the Classifieds SASS members only would eliminate a lot of the issues, in my opinion, of course. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of other interest sites I participate in use the same platform and have lengthy real posting or paid membership required to buy or sell.  I suspect it wouldn't be hard to do here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bad Company, SASS #20195 said:

I’ve had 3 attempted scams on me for large ticket items. Why don’t they make classified members only with password? 

 

1 hour ago, Concho Billy said:

I'm not what the purpose would be for allowing guests on the SASS classifieds, seems like that is just inviting scammers, maybe something to it I don't understand...

 

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

At this point, I would be for a members-only SASS Wire and SASS Classifieds.

If you want to buy/sell/comment/PM, pay yer dues and join SASS.

Otherwise you may look only!

Our members are not scammer targets -- They deserve a safe forum!

--Dawg

 

These are not members or even guests who are pulling this scam.   Your e-mail addresses are hidden by default.   Those who have added email addresses and phone numbers to your PUBLIC profile are doing this to yourselves.   Anybody at all can read the forum without joining, they can read the posts, and then attempt to hijack your payment.   If you have private information, don't make it public.

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A couple of other interest sites I participate in use the same platform and have lengthy real posting or paid membership required to buy or sell.  I suspect it wouldn't be hard to do here.

 

You're not understanding what the problem is.  Read the above post.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! These scammers are becoming very good at what they do and making the Classifieds SASS members only would eliminate a lot of the issues, in my opinion, of course. 

 

This would not eliminate the problem.  These scammers are not guests nor members.  They are harvesting emails and phone numbers in order to text and divert the payment.   Keeping private information private would eliminate the problem.

 

We've posted this in multiple places, but either no one reads it or it gets ignored.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

 

This would not eliminate the problem.  These scammers are not guests nor members.  They are harvesting emails and phone numbers in order to text and divert the payment.   Keeping private information private would eliminate the problem.

 

We've posted this in multiple places, but either no one reads it or it gets ignored.

 

There's at least one person that posted ON THIS THREAD that still has their E-Mail info posted where anyone can see it despite all of the warnings.:(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

 

This would not eliminate the problem.  These scammers are not guests nor members.  They are harvesting emails and phone numbers in order to text and divert the payment.   Keeping private information private would eliminate the problem.

 

We've posted this in multiple places, but either no one reads it or it gets ignored.

Well that’s true to a degree, but there have been cases in the not to distant past of posers, who pretend to be legitimate CAS or SASS participants by joining in on the dialogue on the Wire and Saloon and after gaining our confidence, then they sell something  to someone and it’s a scam sale and the buyer gets taken. It hasn’t happened that much lately but it has happened. If someone had to be an authenticated, dues paying SASS member to be able to PM and communicate with buyers and sellers they might be exposed a lot sooner. Does 44 Bang ring a bell? I can’t remember some of the others but they used the same ploy as ingratiating themselves to other members and then running their scam. As you know posting a SASS number is no means of verification, but if that person had to legitimately join, pay dues and have a verifiable, legitimate SASS number that was frozen to their alias and profile after verification that scam may be totally eliminated. These scammers aren’t going away and are going to keep prying and massaging until they find what works, why not make it tougher on them? 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Concho Billy said:

Cypress Sun, how do they see email addresses? How do you hide your email address?

He just posted this.

 

You can find your Public Profile by simply clicking on your alias. The next screen that comes up is your Public Profile on the left in the smaller column with your most recent posts in the larger middle/right column.

 

Some people have their E-Mail address and more in the left column under Contact Methods. It is easy to edit out info by going to the top left side of the page and clicking on Edit Profile. 

 

Anyone can click on your alias and view the same information, they don't have to be SASS members. This one way the scammers are getting personal info.

 

Also note that some folks have posted their phone number, E-mail and addresses in the large column under "Write a public message on your own feed" box. When you use this option, you are NOT sending a PM...you are publicly posting a statement/message that anyone can read simply by clicking on your alias...the same way they get your other information.

 

Stay safe out there in internet land. NEVER, EVER post your real name, phone number, E-mail address or physical address in a public manner. To do so only invites the bad guys to breakfast, lunch and dinner.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Concho Billy said:

Cypress Sun, how do they see email addresses? How do you hide your email address?

 

16 minutes ago, Concho Billy said:

Yep, just changed mine, thank a ton.

 

Glad I could help. If it saves a pard from getting scammed, it was worth the time posting it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same A$$ #ole just about got me this week.

But I just felt things was not adding up and I started making comments on the post .

Turns out I was right when Loose Moose gave  me a call and asked what the hell I was talking about .

And we figured out we had a Pond Scum Flee Bag amongst us !

It was my fault for having my information listed for all too see .

But with all of us sharing the info .

We can do our best to keep them out ! 

Rooster 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Same A$$ #ole just about got me this week.

...

It was my fault for having my information listed for all too see .

...

Wow! just caught up on that. Besides almost being scammed, your good name and the actual seller's were at risk.

 

Glad you figured it out, hopefully the actual scammer is banned (not that he or another will not be back).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Just want to take a minute and thank our moderators for their tireless efforts! Scam artists are not only relentless and resourceful but also willing to exploit any exposed weakness. Having said that I am actually grateful this forum is available to be seen in front of the pay wall.  The wealth of knowledge here helped me tremendously while I was getting started in this game. I would agree member information should only be available to fellow members but how we get there from here is above my pay grade.

 

Now let me just go check my settings here and see if I have accidentally clicked on “foot in mouth desease”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand the feelings about this, but if you make it just current dues paying members there will be a lot of former SASS members no longer paying dues that will no longer be able to come here to sell off their stuff.  Other forums I’m on don’t even allow the classifieds to be seen until the member has 50 worthwhile posts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I understand the feelings about this, but if you make it just current dues paying members there will be a lot of former SASS members no longer paying dues that will no longer be able to come here to sell off their stuff.  Other forums I’m on don’t even allow the classifieds to be seen until the member has 50 worthwhile posts. 

 

Actually, to sell on the SASS Wire Classifieds you must be a SASS member in good standing which I take to mean their dues are paid up to date or be a life member. Folks that have let their membership lapse are not able (by rules) sell on the Classifieds.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

Actually, to sell on the SASS Wire Classifieds you must be a SASS member in good standing which I take to mean their dues are paid up to date or be a life member. Folks that have let their membership lapse are not able (by rules) sell on the Classifieds.

That’s my take as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

Actually, to sell on the SASS Wire Classifieds you must be a SASS member in good standing which I take to mean their dues are paid up to date or be a life member. Folks that have let their membership lapse are not able (by rules) sell on the Classifieds.

That's the rule. That's not the reality.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Curious, can the public see our account settings?

 

Yes, that's how the scammers got phone numbers and E-mail addresses. They never even had to join the Forums, just click on someone's alias and look at the info that was provided by the real member themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

Yes, that's how the scammers got phone numbers and E-mail addresses. They never even had to join the Forums, just click on someone's alias and look at the info that was provided by the real member themselves.

Curious, can the public see our account settings?

Good morning Cypress, it says on my account email required ? 

Edited by Silver Creek Jack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Curious, can the public see our account settings?

Good morning Cypress, it says on my account email required ? 

 

Good morning Jack.

 

I tried it yesterday. Never signed in or anything. Just picked someone and clicked on their alias and the same screen that comes up while signed in, came up without being signed in.

 

Try it yourself. Sign completely out, then come back to the website (SASS Forums), do not sign in and click on someone's alias.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok did that and you’re right for sure! Now if I delete my email in my account when it says it’s required to be a member will I be able to sign in again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Ok did that and you’re right for sure! Now if I delete my email in my account when it says it’s required to be a member will I be able to sign in again?

 

NO, don't do that. I just went to your personal info by clicking on your alias. You are not exposed in any way at all...yer good to go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

NO, don't do that. I just went to your personal info by clicking on your alias. You are not exposed in any way at all...yer good to go!

 

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

NO, don't do that. I just went to your personal info by clicking on your alias. You are not exposed in any way at all...yer good to go!

Thats great, thank you Cypress I appreciate it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

 

Thats great, thank you Cypress I appreciate it!

But, if you have had any comments in the open forum in which you gave your email address, phone number, address, etc, that comes up as well. The only way to eliminate that is to go back to those threads and edit them. I could go into the information on one member in this thread, and right there was his contact information, as well as the other person he was trying to buy/sell to. The only thing he didn't post was where the front door key was hidden! All dealings should be in private messages, not in a thread in the open forum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cholla said:

But, if you have had any comments in the open forum in which you gave your email address, phone number, address, etc, that comes up as well. The only way to eliminate that is to go back to those threads and edit them. I could go into the information on one member in this thread, and right there was his contact information, as well as the other person he was trying to buy/sell to. The only thing he didn't post was where the front door key was hidden! All dealings should be in private messages, not in a thread in the open forum.

Thanks Cholla, I never post anything like that in an open forum, only in private message to whom I’m dealing with!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.