SASS Wire Forum

cooking question

Alpo

You have a recipe and it gives you a time for making x amount of whatever it is you're cooking.

But you want to make a smaller amount. How do you figure out how much less time to cook it? I know of trial and error, but that can ruin a lot of food.

I have a lasagna recipe that makes a 9x13 pan. If I half that recipe, it will make an 8 x 8 pan. But I suspect it would not need to cook as long.

A few weeks ago in a discussion of lasagna, someone said that he makes his in a bread pan. I like that idea. Sounds like it would make enough for two people. Or for me tonight and tomorrow. But again, that's a smaller amount, so how much left time do you cook it?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You have a recipe and it gives you a time for making x amount of whatever it is you're cooking.

But you want to make a smaller amount. How do you figure out how much less time to cook it? I know of trial and error, but that can ruin a lot of food.

I have a lasagna recipe that makes a 9x13 pan. If I half that recipe, it will make an 8 x 8 pan. But I suspect it would not need to cook as long.

A few weeks ago in a discussion of lasagna, someone said that he makes his in a bread pan. I like that idea. Sounds like it would make enough for two people. Or for me tonight and tomorrow. But again, that's a smaller amount, so how much left time do you cook it?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ingredients

Part of a package of pre cooked lasagna noodles

2 Italian sausages

1/2 lb each of hamburger and pork sausage

1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Small ricotta

egg

Shredded mozzarella

Grated parmesan

Spaghetti sauce

Italian herbs of choice

Nutmeg

Olive oil

Start oven at 350°

Mix the hamburger, pork sausage and breadcrumbs, let stand for a bit and form into small walnut sized meatballs cook them and the Italian sausage in a little olive oil till done and set aside. Slice the sausage 1/2 inch crosswise when cool.

Mix the ricotta, egg and nutmeg till blended

Spray the bread pan with Pam olive oil.

cover the bottom of the pan with spaghetti sauce (1/4 cup may do the trick), break noodles to fit and cover the sauce with fitted noodles - they can overlap a bit (alternate direction of the noodles for each layer)

add a layer of the ricotta mix and stud densely  with either sausage slices or meatballs

cover with Mozzarella and cover that with another layer of the noodles and a scoop of sauce, ricotta, and whichever meat you didn't use for the first layer.  top with Mozza, noodles, sauce

use whatever ricotta you have left to spread thinly across the top layer, then mozza and a good sprinkle of parmesan

spray one side of a sheet of aluminum foil and cover the breadpan oiled side down

Bake (pan on a cookie sheet to avoid mess) in the oven for 20 minutes or so, then uncover for 10 or 15.

let stand for 10 minutes. This is great if you make it completely the day before and heat it / let it stand before serving the next day

Spices - garlic, oregano, basil in the sauce to your taste or a jar of Classico Traditional Pizza Sauce does a good job

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

1/2 lb each of hamburger and pork sausage

Regular breakfast sausage, like Jimmy Dean or Tennessee pride?

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Regular breakfast sausage, like Jimmy Dean or Tennessee pride?

Yup, though the last year or so I have been using Swaggertys  All Natural, may not be available in your area.  I just got a whole pig processed so will be trying the sausage we got from the packer. Their ham and smoked pork chops have been remarkable so I have hopes.

Never thought of putting breakfast sausage in Italian food.

My sauce, that I use on spaghetti and in lasagna, makes about a half gallon when it's through simmering. If it's just for spaghetti it's got a pound and a half of hamburger in it. When I do lasagna I add a half pound of Italian sausage. Ground and browned.

Going to have to give that breakfast sausage a try.

Thanks.

Sometimes you come up with some of the best flavors doing something that doesn't really make sense.

I think I've mentioned this before. My recipe calls for a cup of Parmesan cheese. And I was making this at my daughter's house, and the container marked parmesan only had about a half a cup in it. But there was another container sitting right next to it that appeared to also have grated Parmesan. It wasn't marked. I used it. Very interesting flavor to the lasagna. When she asked me what I had done different, and I had no idea but I mentioned that I had used two different containers of Parmesan, she told me that the unmarked container had feta in it. So now whenever I make lasagna I use a cup of Parmesan and a cup of feta. Accidental, but good.

• Like 1

Cooking thermometers are your friend.  As a guesstimate, with nothing else to guide me, I would cook the reduced size dish to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.  At least I would be sure it was hot enough to kill any pathogens (bacteria, viruses, fungal spores, and parasites) that might be present.  And I could use that attempt to guide future cooking parameters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Cooking thermometers are your friend.  As a guesstimate, with nothing else to guide me, I would cook the reduced size dish to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.  At least I would be sure it was hot enough to kill any pathogens (bacteria, viruses, fungal spores, and parasites) that might be present.  And I could use that attempt to guide future cooking parameters.

If you get a thermometer, get a Thermopen.  My Wife bought me one and I could no longer do without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

In your lasagna example, if pressed for a time, I'd say about 2/3 of the time for the full receipt.  Usually I just cook it "Until it looks done" and don't worry about timing to the minute.  I know to check it after a little while.  

Of course, the times given in a receipt often need to be modified.  Some of it might be my oven (a small ~30 year old, 24" wall oven), but I've had that issue with other ovens, too.  "Bake at 350F for 45 minutes" and then have to add half an hour to bake it through. Or should have taken it out after 20 minutes.

I almost prefer the old receipts "Bake in a moderate oven until done."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

If you get a thermometer, get a Thermopen.  My Wife bought me one and I could no longer do without it.

One will be arriving from Amazon soon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I live alone so every time I'm following a recipe I have that problem, so I just keep testing the food in the stove or in the oven for doneness.  After you've done it several times you get fairly good at it.   

Absolutely, but with the thermopen you are near 100%.  Made a believer of me.

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

One will be arriving from Amazon soon.

I use my digital thermometer all the time. I have 1 pen type and another with 2 probes. One probe is to monitor smoker temp and the other is inserted to monitor internal temp of whatever I am cooking. 

No more over cooked turkey or chicken that is dry and tough. 

Never worry about undercooked poultry either. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Exactly! I was pretty much going to say the same thing. 

If I am making something that normally would take an hour but I halved it at 40-45 minutes I would check the temp. Nearly every time it is done in 3/4 of the normal recipe time at the very same temperature. 

ADDING: I want to try lasagna in my smoker. Pizza in a smoker is fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The loaves I make regularly are 43 minutes for the 4 X 9 and 44 minutes for the 5x9.

About what I get.  That's for a loaf made with ~ 3 cups of flour.   If I make a 6 cup round loaf it's 50 to 55 minutes. 

If I divide my 6 cup loaf into thirds for Запивка (zapivka) for church it's about 35 minutes. 

FB_IMG_1714063614930.thumb.jpg.a2ef9f293d3d16d5cbd5695451dca762.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The way I was taught to test a loaf of bread for doneness is to knock on its bottom, it should sound hollow, or tip it out of the pan and stick a thermometer into the bottom, it should be at least 190F.  I often just stab it in the top. ;)

I tap on the top with my fingertips,  a good solid tap, almost a thump.  Not just sound but also feel and give.  It should sound hollow,  have a firm crust with little give.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Any more I use a probe thermometer for almost any meat in the oven.  

Casseroles not so much. 

I've tried it with bread and don't find any benefit. 

I use my pen thermometer a lot on lasagna enchiladas and similar dishes. 

• Like 1