SASS Wire Forum

Most "fun" single shot shotgun

I realize that "fun" is a relative term, and it doesn't necessarily mean best or fastest.  

I myself have 3 single shots, a K Mart 251 20 gauge made by CBC.   It's a fairly "generic" gun and there is nothing special about it.  I also have a pair of 12 gauges.  One is a Remington Rolling Block and the other is a WW Greener made on a Martini rifle action.  Of the three, I'd say the Greener is the "fastest" and before I got the roller, I'd've said it was my "funnest" one, but there is just something oddly enjoyable about shooting a Rolling Block shotgun.  Won't win any speed contests with it, but it is fun to shoot every once in a while.

So what are some other opinions on what makes for a fun single shot shotgun?

• Like 1

my two most fun single shot shotguns were the lee enfield - one converted to brit 310 by blowing out the 303 cartridge ,  the other converted to US 410 by rechambering to the 2 3/4" chamber , not SASS shotguns by any means but i only have four SASS leangle shotguns  out of the dozen or so i own these days , we all have other interests , 

For me it would be a black powder blunderbuss.  Lots of fun to shoot, but hard to hit anything with it without a bit of practice.  I would just load it with powder, rocks and leaves most of the time.  Not too accurate that way, but cheap and easy to shoot.  If you want to get all fancy and use real patches and shot it's pretty easy to bring down small or medium size birds.

Howdy H.K.,

A single barrel SG sounds like too much fun for me. When I want to have "fun" (a slow motion train wreck) I drag out my '87. One or two stages are about all of the "fun" I can stand. Then I have to revert back to my "high speed" hammer double.

On the other hand, I've never tried a hammerless single with an ejector. I enjoy terrorizing the TO when my .38 Handi Rifle spits the empties at him so that might be fun.

Rev. Chase 

I've led a deprived life (tired sigh and sad shake of head)

The only single shot shotguns I've had or handled, were the H&R Topper variety with enough drop in the stock to rattle the fillings loose in my teeth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I've led a deprived life (tired sigh and sad shake of head)

The only single shot shotguns I've had or handled, were the H&R Topper variety with enough drop in the stock to rattle the fillings loose in my teeth!

Years ago I saw an H&R Topper Shotgun with a short barrel and I decided I would get one someday. As luck would have a guy gave one to me. “Lucky me” I thought. 
It’s not the 18” barrel but a 24”. 
I decided to shoot it and if I liked it I would chop the barrel down. 
I loaded a Sellier & Bellot 00 Buck round in it and fired. HOLY S***! Did that thing kick! 
I decided to fire a Winchester AA no. 7 1/2 shot shell and it also kicked with the added touch of whacking my cheekbone.

It now sits in a gun rug in the closet. Two rounds fired by me and that was 2 too many. ;)

• Haha 2

Yup, 410's aren't as low recoil as one might think. I also have a jaw slapping Topper! 

• Like 1

My first shotgun when I was 12 YOA was a Stevens single shot.....Kicked so hard that the forearm would come off in my hand with every shot.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gonna have to try some 2 1/2" ers in it. 410 have been unobtanium or expensive lately!

Never tried slugs or buckshot!

• Like 1

There's quite a bit of info on using 444 brass or 303. I don't shoot it enough to warrant trying them yet though!

How's about this for a teeth-rattler? Bond Arms .410

image.thumb.jpeg.a06c85c83d3197657403a3036261bb6e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having recently read how you could make 410 brass cartridge cases using 303 British brass, I picked up a 410 ADC Derringer and loaded it with two 303 Brits.

I did not attempt to shoot it - I'm not that stupid. I just wanted to see what it would look like, and if the gun would, in fact, lock up with that ammo in there.

It closed and locked fine. And approximately half an inch of Spitzer bullet was sticking out the end of the muzzles. :lol:

That was an intimidating looking little gun.

• Like 2

shoot your 303 in a rifle then reload properly for the purpose and fireform the case , thats the only safe way to create a 410 shell from a 303 , not safe to shoot a rifle round in a shotgun ever 

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

How's about this for a teeth-rattler? Bond Arms .410

image.thumb.jpeg.a06c85c83d3197657403a3036261bb6e.jpeg

I download for my Bond with a little shot of Goex, fill the remaining case with cornmeal, and swage .454 round ball into a heavy crimp.  Decent smoke and not much recoil.  Fun for sure!

A 410 or 45 Long Colt is flat out painful.

• Like 1

I have a Steven's Rolling Block 44/40 Smooth Bore shotgun .

These were made pre 410 caliber for shotguns .

It will also chamber & shoot 410 .

I also have several H&R or New England Firearms Single shot 12's 16's 20's & 410's 

One great things about single shot shotguns is the availability of adapters too shoot many other Cartridges. 

I have a NEF Smooth bore slug gun with rifle sights and nice Laminated Wood up North at my cabin with adapters for 410 - 45/70 44-Magnum 45-Colt

357-Magnum 9MM & 22LR .

It's kinda a do all shotgun .

I have always enjoyed single shot firearms of all kinds .

Looking at buying a really nice Greener Martini Henry in 45/70  Right Now !

Rooster 

I bought a Savage 301 .410 last year for turkey hunting. The tungsten ammo needed for a decent humane kill was a lot more expensive a month before turkey season than it was at the end of 2022. 
I couldn’t in good conscience use this gun for turkeys with standard .410 ammo so now I have a .410 with nothing to do. Any ideas?

It’s a nifty little single shot. 

IMG_8695.thumb.jpeg.d51e39f76d9a5e21222cec38e5747652.jpeg

IMG_8694.thumb.jpeg.0f1c1c62eae4928a9db85f095dcc28da.jpeg