SASS Wire Forum

Rule change?

On 3/3/2024 at 8:40 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Have you priced.410 shells lately?

Hard to find and the cost difference between them and 12 ga will pay for a new shotgun in no time. 

This is the truth.  410’s run 25-30 a box around here if you can find them.  Promo 12 ga/20 are probably 6?   That’s almost 20 a box savings.  15 boxes would pay for a stoger 12 ga.  

Have you tried finding 28 gauge shells lately either? About as bad as 410s!

Here is an interesting observation.

While almost all of us reload our pistol and rifle ammo, relatively few of us reload our shotgun ammo.   I base this on two observations.

1.  At every shoot go to, almost no one keeps their empty shotshells to reload them.  They wind up being discarded.   I even have to tell the brass pickers that I want mine back, when I'm not shooting all brass ones.

2.  Every time something other than 12 gauge comes up, people talk about how hard it is to find ammo in that gauge, something that is not as much of a problem if you roll your own.

I would have figured that for something like 28 gauge, which I admit to having never even heard of until this thread, would be almost universally a handloading endeavor.  

Which brings up two questions....

1.  Why is shotgun reloading so uncommon in our game?

2.  Does Magtech make all brass cases in this oddball gauges?

Respectfully I think your observation about shotgun reloading may be area specific.  The majority of cowboys I shoot with reload shotgun.  It's unusual to see a large quantity of hulls that don't get picked up.  You will rarely see Remington Gun Club or Remington STS being left behind, despite the fact that those hulls are used very regularly in this area.

Having said that, shotgun reloading is certainly less common that metallic cartridge reloading.  I think the answer to that is probably that we use a lot fewer shotgun shells than we do metallic cartridge and the savings for reloading shotshells is lower.  You might save 5 bucks or so per box, so for an individual maybe $20-$30 a month.  For metallic cartridge you're probably saving closer to $30 per match (.19 to reload and .50 to buy new multiplied by 120 rounds) which means monthly savings of $120-$180 depending upon matches shot per month.  Given my family shoots 4-6 matches a month and has 2-4 people at each match, reloading shotshells generates savings of $50-$120 a month.

6 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

While almost all of us reload our pistol and rifle ammo, relatively few of us reload our shotgun ammo.   I base this on two observations.

1.  At every shoot go to, almost no one keeps their empty shotshells to reload them.  They wind up being discarded.   I even have to tell the brass pickers that I want mine back, when I'm not shooting all brass ones.

2.  Every time something other than 12 gauge comes up, people talk about how hard it is to find ammo in that gauge, something that is not as much of a problem if you roll your own.

I would have figured that for something like 28 gauge, which I admit to having never even heard of until this thread, would be almost universally a handloading endeavor.  

Which brings up two questions....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I reload almost all my shotshells; .410, 28g, 20g, 16g, 12g, and 10g. I really can't recall the last time I bought factory shells, but likely at least five years ago anyway.

As above, for CAS anyway, the reason reloading shotshells is less common is a shooter shoots ~120 rifle/pistol per match and only ~24 shotshells. It's just not worth the effort or expense for most folks, unless you need something specialized - black powder, featherlite loads, 2 1/2"ers, or a particular hull.

Yes, Magtech makes 28g brass cases.

I find worth the effort! Instead of driving all over hell and creation hoping to find them, I walk down the stairs,crank out a few hundred and good to go. And save a bunch too! Last year when I had to develop a light load for Ellie with a bad shoulder it was a pretty easy chore here in the basement. There isn't a commercial load that would have worked for her. Just my 2cents!

In my opinion there does not need to be a rule change.  If a SASS shooter already has a sub 20ga shotgun on hand I am sure they could okay it with a MD for a monthly match.   

As far as drawing in new shooters with the option of shooting lighter/lower recoiling shotguns, I seriously doubt that has been their hold up on shooting SASS.  I heard the same argument for allowing an adult 22rf category and at least as far as I can tell that was only slightly appealing to a handful of existing shooters.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

As above, for CAS anyway, the reason reloading shotshells is less common is a shooter shoots ~120 rifle/pistol per match and only ~24 shotshells. It's just not worth the effort or expense for most folks, unless you need something specialized - black powder, featherlite loads, 2 1/2"ers, or a particular hull.

Mr. Johnson makes a valid point that had no occurred to me.   Consider the following...

1.  My father was trap shooter.  I inherited literally thousands of AAs from him.

2.  For CAS loads, I primarily shoot Magtech all brass, or AA's trimmed to 2-1/2" since some of my older cowboy shotguns have short chambers.

3.  I do occasionally load some black powder shells.

Those three items, and especially the first one, probably contribute greatly to my tendency to think of shotgun reloading as normal.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:07 PM, Hells Comin said:

Do they make a 28 gauge 97, I could hold 8 at one time.

I think that you need to check the arthritis in you hands before making a statement like this. Just saying

Hmmm... did the SKB 1 or 2 hundred come in a 28 ga.?  BP in a smaller container is more funner!  :P  I see prices already climbing on FunBroker for another "has-been" cartridge! :ph34r: