SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero 512 vs 513 prefix

Wild Eagle

I'm looking at two Ruger New Vaqueros.  Both are same model number, both either unfired or fired only a few times.  One has a 512 serial number prefix and the other is a 513.  Is there any reason to favor one serial number prefx over the other?  The guns are identical twins as far as I can tell otherwise.  Looking to get one for a back up to my main match guns that are both 513 serial numbers.

I am not aware of any changes Ruger has made to the New Model Vaquero since it was introduced in 2004.  They are all durable.  Either one of those will last a lifetime and be exactly like the rest of them.  

Be aware of the internal lock in grips.   Ruger has quit providing parts for the hammer assembly for those, no keys for the lock available any more, so if you want to remove and tune the guns, you are in for some work. 

Take off the grips to make sure neither gun contains the discontinued and unsupported locks!  GJ

I have both 512 and 513. They are identical. I couldn't tell one from the other shooting them.

Edited by Uncle Ethan # 94321

8 hours ago, Skullbone Willie said:

I have a 510 and a 513 as my set of 38’s, one has the internal lock and one doesn’t, other than the hammer springs they are identical as far as I’m concerned. 

IMG_1906.jpeg

What make grips are those?

• Like 1

Not sure who made those, but I just put a set of mesquite grips from texasgrips.com on a vaquero. He has lots of options available, very good price. Check them out! 

IMG_6195.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank all of you that replied.  I appreciate your knowledge.  This also reminded me about the lock.  I knew it existed but was not thinking about it as part of my search criteria.  The two Rugers I have do not have the lock, so I really don't want one on my backup either.  Thanks again.

18 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Be aware of the internal lock in grips.   Ruger has quit providing parts for the hammer assembly for those, no keys for the lock available any more, so if you want to remove and tune the guns, you are in for some work. 

Take off the grips to make sure neither gun contains the discontinued and unsupported locks!  GJ

You can remove the locks and use a formed #10 fender washer in its place.

• Like 1

Or order a Ruger Bearcat mainspring seat from one of the parts supply houses....I found some in stock today at Numrich.   Advantage of the Bearcat seat is it has a divot cut into the top surface to allow inserting a compressed-spring retention pin when you disassemble.   GJ

• Thanks 2

I don't know just when the lock was discontinued, but I have two identical 511 prefix NV's only eleven numbers apart, one with the lock and one without. Both made in 2010 according to Ruger's site.

• Like 1