SASS Wire Forum

The Bulge

On this day in 1945, the Battle of the Bulge came to an end. German lines were now pushed back to the location they had started at prior to the launch of Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein ('Operation Watch on the Rhine’), the Wehrmacht's code name for the Ardennes offensive.

This photo taken by famed war photographer and photojournalist Robert Capa, depicts a US officer with a surrendering German prisoner of war near Bastogne, Belgium, December 23-26, 1944. 

Photography | Magnum Photos

"Giving the Past a Future, One Story at a Time."
WWII Veterans History Project
Visit us online: WW2VeteransHistoryProject.org

FB_IMG_1706285854666.thumb.jpg.5dbf5814edb74e7a9f77a9af8462e0ba.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kinda looks photoshopped. No footprints from either man. German appears to be walking although there is barbed wire behind him. The GI doesn't appear to be looking at the prisoner as a first capture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Kinda looks photoshopped. No footprints from either man. German appears to be walking although there is barbed wire behind him. The GI doesn't appear to be looking at the prisoner as a first capture.

Legitimate WWII photo.

Screenshot_20240126-0939582.thumb.png.9a0ddf8f8e8af630f599132a2a58852d.png

• Thanks 5

The American soldier doesn't look very threatening either. Looks kinda casual to me.

There are, I believe, two different types of captive soldiers.

There's one that fought till his last bullet, then charged you with fixed bayonet, and you managed to knock him to the ground and while kneeling on his chest you stick your pistol in his ear and ask him if he surrenders.

The other type has decided that he no longer wishes to fight, and possibly get killed, so he throws down his gun and walks out with his arms up yelling, "Hey Joe, don't shoot. I surrender Joe."

This looks like the second type.

If there weren't a whole lot of that second type out there, how do you suppose it was possible for Sergeant York and his 10 or 11 men to take in those 140-something German prisoners?

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The American soldier doesn't look very threatening either. Looks kinda casual to me.

We don't know what's outside the frame.  Maybe he didn't need to look threatening.   Judging from the terrain and the type of fence I would guess that the German had walked a few tens of yards at the very least in the open.  

• Like 1

The German does look like he crawled under the fence. Snow on his knees and gloves.

4 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

WON? Was it a race ? as most that "earn or receive" the Medal Of Honor die doing so , many of those that Have been "Awarded " the Medal of Honor that I have known would never say they won a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

WON? Was it a race ? as most that "earn or receive" the Medal Of Honor die doing so , many of those that Have been "Awarded " the Medal of Honor that I have known would never say they won a thing.

That used to be the common phrasing.   Just like until run-n-gun sports got popular you could say clip when you meant detachable box magazine (because it clipped into the firearm) and not have dozens of pedantics screaming at you "IT'S A MAGAZINE!"

• Haha 1

According to wiki - if you believe wiki

It is sometimes referred to as the "Congressional Medal of Honor".[2][13][14][15] The secretary of the Army, on behalf of the Department of Defense, has testified to Congress that the term "Congressional Medal of Honor" is "incorrect" as a matter of statute, and that "it seems inappropriate to modify the name of the medal with the word 'Congressional' as each award is made in the name of the Congress," through a mandated process in the military chain of command, not 'by' Congress,[c] and there is no other Medal of Honor, so no need for the modifier.

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

My dad’s 1946 Navy Bluejackets Manual calls it the Congressional Medal of Honor. When did it change to just Medal of Honor?

Which is a bit odd, because the statute creating it simply says

10 U.S. Code § 8291 - Medal of honor

rev | next
The President may award, and present in the name of Congress, a medal of honor of appropriate design, with ribbons and appurtenances, to a person who, while a member of the naval service, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty—
(1)
while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
(2)
while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
(3)
while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 389, § 6241; Pub. L. 88–77, § 2(1), July 25, 1963, 77 Stat. 93; Pub. L. 104–106, div. A, title XV, § 1503(b)(2), Feb. 10, 1996, 110 Stat. 512; renumbered § 8291, Pub. L. 115–232, div. A, title VIII, § 807(b)(13), Aug. 13, 2018, 132 Stat. 1836.)

But it's understandable because it is presented "in the name of Congress."  
But, again, it's a common usage, everyone knows what you mean, the world won't ende because you use the "wrong" term.  

If we're talking specific legalities, then, yes, it could matter, but in general conversation we all need to lighten up.  I swear, next time some pedant gots on me about using "bullets" when I should have, with utmost punctillion, stated, "I seem to have used up my store of boxer primed, 7.62x51mm, metallic cartridges" I'll be tempted to hand him a 7.62mm PROJECTILE in a black powder era paper cartridge. 
Edited by Subdeacon Joe

I think these are the second type of surrendered soldiers.  Nothing but a little fence and one man with a 1911 ‘twixt them and freedom, and they’re just standing around.

BTW, that’s my Dad guarding them.

IMG_5428.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That used to be the common phrasing.   Just like until run-n-gun sports got popular you could say clip when you meant detachable box magazine (because it clipped into the firearm) and not have dozens of pedantics screaming at you "IT'S A MAGAZINE!"

Jack Lucas would have told you the same , He didnt win crap , except a lifetime of shrapnel coming out of him  

• Like 1