SASS Wire Forum

Adult lead exposure from ammunition reloading and indoor residential shooting

Buckshot Bear

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

We carry the D-Lead towlettes in our cart. Don't always use them though:unsure:. I do use the soap after playing in the reloading room.

Just eat healthy, plenty of fruits and veggies, also wash your hands .  if you smoke you are sucking in lead . I have a salad every day.

I eat lunch and drink coffee or water in my reloading room and have been tested many times.NO ISSUES.

Best Wishes

Edited by Texas Jack Black
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Windy City Kid said:

Gets rid of girlfriends too!

No wonder my wife  has me eating plenty of Garlic and Onions.

• Haha 4

I had a career in Health and Safety and two things stood out in the article: first, lack of hand washing as many mentioned.  Second was the use an ordinary vacuum cleaner to clean out the bullet trap.  Heavy metal particulate falls to the ground quickly and does not resuspend easily.  In an industrial setting vacuum cleaners used for such cleanup have high-quality HEPA filters.  Before use the vacuum cleaners are leak-tested to ensure there is no leakage around the seals or through the filter.  An ordinary household vacuum cleaner will pick up fragments and respirable particles.  The respirable particles will exhaust the vacuum cleaner and be present in the breathing air of the person running the vacuum cleaner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

All y'all need to cease and desist all shooting & reloading activities;  might just leave some components on store shelves!  :ph34r:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read here some time ago that using CENTRUM vitamins helps eliminate some lead.

I've been taking but no test yet.

Thoughts/Comments?

• Like 1

I suggest everyone that shoots CAS get a lead test to get a baseline before the shooting season starts and then when it ends so they can see how much they need to really worry about it.  I get a monthly blood test to see how much it has gone up or down.  I have been shooting CAS for 24 years.  I do not reload my ammo.  I am getting my exposure mainly from breathing in the smoke I believe.  I have switched to coated bullets also.  At the end of the one season I was at 28 µg/dL which they say should be under 4  µg/dL.  I do not shoot past October 31st then start up again in May usually because we have a thing called SNOW in Michigan and COLD weather.  If it was 28 in oct it would be around 10 in May.  I tried all the spirulina and vitamins didn't do anything faster in lowering my level for me.  Bismuth is a lead alternative that should be looked at to be allowed in CAS in my opinion as many states are restricting lead bullets already.   I been testing my lead level monthly since like 2020 to see what works and doesn't.  I am trying leadfree wipes too.  I try to limit running the timer also.  I shoot 45LC and 45 ACP for wild bunch.  I am also going to try to reduce live fire and replace it with my laserlyte and strikeman laser indoor targets.   Everyone should take precautions and know where you are at on the lead level spectrum.  You only get one body take care of it.  

• Like 1

When I had mine tested a month ago I learned that Medicare doesn't cover lead tests. It cost me $180! A little expensive to do on a monthly basis if you're over 65. :angry:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I had mine tested a month ago I learned that Medicare doesn't cover lead tests. It cost me $180! A little expensive to do on a monthly basis if you're over 65. :angry:

That's odd.  Medicare (regular, not Advantage) has paid for my annual blood test for the last several years.  Your doctor might have to give a "reason", such as your exposure or possible symptoms.  I'm pretty darn sure they won't pay monthly, though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's odd.  Medicare (regular, not Advantage) has paid for my annual blood test for the last several years.  Your doctor might have to give a "reason", such as your exposure or possible symptoms.  I'm pretty darn sure they won't pay monthly, though!

She's the one that said they wouldn't pay, but she did ask why I wanted the test. They've always covered any other blood work. I'll see if I ever get billed. It takes months to go thru Medicare and Advantage before it gets back to me and the statements usually make absolutely no sense! Like when I was getting infusions:

Infusion $30,000

Medicare approved $4,670

Medicare paid $1,365

Amount owed by patient $0

Above is just wag example of what invoices were like. Numbers aren't off by much anyhow!

• Like 1

Several years ago when I lived in Washington State there was a fellow down in the Tacoma area that cast some of the best bullets I had ever shot in obsolete calibers.

He had a shop where he did his casting and although I had never visited his place, I would imagine that he knew about proper ventilation.

He was in his early 50's when I found out that he had passed away from a tumor in his brain.  

No idea if it was related to the lead, but my hunch is YES it did!!

Obviously good to wash your hands well after shooting or handling lead.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:29 PM, ethan callahan said:

I suggest everyone that shoots CAS get a lead test to get a baseline before the shooting season starts and then when it ends so they can see how much they need to really worry about it.  I get a monthly blood test to see how much it has gone up or down.  I have been shooting CAS for 24 years.  I do not reload my ammo.  I am getting my exposure mainly from breathing in the smoke I believe.  I have switched to coated bullets also.  At the end of the one season I was at 28 µg/dL which they say should be under 4  µg/dL.  I do not shoot past October 31st then start up again in May usually because we have a thing called SNOW in Michigan and COLD weather.  If it was 28 in oct it would be around 10 in May.  I tried all the spirulina and vitamins didn't do anything faster in lowering my level for me.  Bismuth is a lead alternative that should be looked at to be allowed in CAS in my opinion as many states are restricting lead bullets already.   I been testing my lead level monthly since like 2020 to see what works and doesn't.  I am trying leadfree wipes too.  I try to limit running the timer also.  I shoot 45LC and 45 ACP for wild bunch.  I am also going to try to reduce live fire and replace it with my laserlyte and strikeman laser indoor targets.   Everyone should take precautions and know where you are at on the lead level spectrum.  You only get one body take care of it.  

Likely your exposure is from the lead styphnate that is used in primers and not from the bullets. Beside airborne exposure your firearms will be covered with it.  Keep your hand away from your face and don't touch anything that you will later put in your mouth like food, drinks etc. 

Handling spent brass is another likely contamination venue.

Keep in mind that some people are more susceptible to adsorbing lead than others.

Really good preventative thing you can do is take a Centrum multivitamin every day. Centrum has a lot of trace metals in it that your body needs. You re less likely to adsorb lead from the environment if your body is already full of the trace metals it needs.

I got this from a retired LEO friend of mine that used to run his departments range. The entire departments BLLs went down after they started take Centrum.  It didn't happen over night but it does make a difference. It is also less likely to have any adverse side effects compared to chelation therapy. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 12:29 AM, ethan callahan said:

Diet and lifestyle do work. I have been reloading for over 50 yrs and no issues with lead levels..

Best Wishes

Edited by Texas Jack Black

I have appreciated this thread and other previous threads like this illustrating the concern for elevated blood lead levels and learning from others the steps they have used to reduce their own levels. 

I've only been a CAS shooter for a couple years, and a reloader for even less.  I had my BLL checked six months ago and it was concerning to my doctor at 8.6 after only a short time of participation in these activities.  I was checked again last week and I'm down to 4.8 ug/dL. 

The steps I took starting after the first test:

1. I refrain from eating or drinking on the range without first using D-lead wipes.

2. I only handle steel targets with work gloves that I keep mostly separate for set-up and tear-down tasks.  

3. I deprime shot brass with vinyl gloves.  I wet tumble only.

4. I use vinyl gloves to clean my guns after a match, but I have not been using gloves at the reloading bench process.

5. I use D-lead hand soap at home after cleaning guns, bench reloading and also after using vinyl gloves to deprime and handle spent brass.

I routinely act as a spotter or pick up spent brass during stages, and still handle spent brass at the unloading table, but I adhere to the hygiene practices mentioned above.   I'm planning to continue the above precautions and have it checked annually.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Had to stop shooting for a while due to health reasons (heart, back and bad knee replacement).  Over the last year my doctor has been concerned of my lead level  On 4/24/2023 my level was 15.9.  On 8/15 it went down to 8.4 and on 12/12 it was 7.1.  I hope to start shooting again soon and will try and be more careful in the reloading room and at matches.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Had to stop shooting for a while due to health reasons (heart, back and bad knee replacement).  Over the last year my doctor has been concerned of my lead level  On 4/24/2023 my level was 15.9.  On 8/15 it went down to 8.4 and on 12/12 it was 7.1.  I hope to start shooting again soon and will try and be more careful in the reloading room and at matches.

Goodness gracious pard! I had no idea that all that was happening in your life! Take care of yourself and get that lead level down so you can whomp on me some more! Most likely will run into you at EOT and we can compare notes on this whole “golden years” thing :D

Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1