SASS Wire Forum

MEC bottle support

Go West

Do any of you use a bottle support for MEC shotshell presses? The reason I ask is my shot bottle broke at the neck. I've used a Sizemaster for 3-4 years without one. It was a bit chilly in the garage and may have made it brittle. Will the bottle support help? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

Do any of you use a bottle support for MEC shotshell presses? The reason I ask is my shot bottle broke at the neck. I've used a Sizemaster for 3-4 years without one. It was a bit chilly in the garage and may have made it brittle. Will the bottle support help? Thanks in advance.

No, I've had both my 600Jrs set up in my uninsulated metal workshop for the 33 years I've lived in Texas and for the prior 16 years they lived in my So Cal coastal garage.   I had the metal "cap" separate from its base, but no bottle failures.  Define "chilly".

• Like 1

Yes.  A full shot bottle tends to wiggle more than I prefer without the support so I had one on my Sizemaster and installed one on my 9000GN as soon as I got it.  I considered an extra $40 spent as cheap insurance to lessen the chance of having to clean up a bunch of spilled shot.  The bottles will get brittle with age and do need replaced from time to time.

• Like 1

I don’t know what the newer ones are made of, but the ones on my 35 year old 650 are fine. I will add that I don’t fill the shot bottle much more than 1/2 way to reduce stress on the neck. I dump my powder back into its container at the end of a session. To do that requires tipping both bottles back and a bottle full of shot puts a fair amount of stress on it. 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1

I have installed the bottle support on my Grabber, just on the basis that a few other shooters from a major shotgun forum have reported bottle breakage. 

good luck, GJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mec bottles, the newer/clear ones, will age & turn tan/brown & get brittle & break.

The time is shortened greatly if left in any sunlight, even near a shaded window. (did that)

The early bottles were flexible & not very see-thru but they lasted well (20-30 years maybe more, never saw on of that type break)

Well worth adding. There’s not much more disheartening than having a full bottle of size 7.5 shot break off and break the rest of the way open on your concrete floor  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These were recommended to me when I asked a similar question a little while back. Due to cost, I haven't tried them yet. I hold my tongue just right when I tilt the plastic ones back. The mess is unbelievable when one breaks or the lame plastic stopper falls out.

https://dramworx.com/mec/

FWIW, I use the https://dramworx.com powder and shot bottles on all 4 of my Mec reloaders and also the Dillon Powder Alarm Hopper, Medium Size on my Dillon 550B.  They are well worth the money in my opinion. I also use the Mec bottle support with the Mec reloaders.  You have to lower the bottle support to fit the Dramworx bottles, but it is easily done by drilling a new screw hole.  Dramworx support is great also.   Shoot Straight.   Driftwood Dan

• Thanks 1

No 

Never had a issue. 

Never thought about .

20240111_133621.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, Update for the Dramworx powder and shot hoppers for the Mec reloader.  I'm obtaining more consistent powder drops since I replaced the powder baffle that came with the Dramworx powder hopper with the Hornady 366 Auto Progressive Shotshell Press Powder and Shot Baffle 2PK and by also using the new Dillon Powder Measure Weight Kit from Unique Tek reloading.  Hope this may help.  Happy reloading.  Driftwood Dan image.png.494fa5078557364b801167769214e6dc.png

image.png