SASS Wire Forum

"fitting" a shotgun

Scrappy

I got lots of advice to have a shotgun "fitted" for my wife, to help with recoil and comfort. Is this something a gunsmith does? Any recommendations for the Denver Colorado area?

I’d suggest she try a shotgun that’s already been shortened. See how it feels. I’m sure there is some formula to calculate LOP but probably best to find one that feels good and measure it! 
or take 1/2” off at a time until it feels right. 

If someone you know has a youth shotgun...shorter stock from the factory...have her try that. It will give you a good starting point

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

If someone you know has a youth shotgun...shorter stock from the factory...have her try that. It will give you a good starting point

I agree. I ended up getting my wife a Stoeger SxS youth model and it fit her perfectly. No having to cut down the stock or fit a new recoil pad.

Scrappy,

Not only get the LOP appropriate for her, But also the 'cant'.

If she tends to shoot high and over the target, tell the stock adjuster that info.

If she shoots low, tell the adjuster..

And in MY opinion, LOP matters and can be different depending on whether she shoots a 97 or a SxS,

AND..... her method of loading and shooting the shotgun.

Best regards

..........Widder

Tell her to put the stock where her bra strap is. That is the right place and will make shooting it more comfortable. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

A crude way of determining if the stock is too long is to put the butt of the stock in the crook of the elbow.  With the gun in that position see where her trigger finger is in relation to the trigger.  If it is hard to reach the stock is too long, if the finger is way past the trigger the stock is too short.  You'll pretty much want the first pad of her trigger finger to rest comfortably on the trigger.  If you choose to cut the stock, do it in 1/8" increments and don't forget to include the butt stock plate  or recoil pad in the measurements.

51 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Tell her to put the stock where her bra strap is. That is the right place and will make shooting it more comfortable. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

And wear a bra that doesn't have an adjustment buckle in the front. Or least not up on the shoulder.

41 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Hey Eyesa,

I don't normally wear a bra when shooting CAS just in the privacy of my own home. Should I wear a push up bra or a regular cup? 

Rev. Chase

Go with a regular cup and avoid under wires. A sports bra works well if not costuming as a soiled dove. You're welcome!

@Scarlett thank you for those tips. I teach a Lady Shooters Beginner class and that is such a clear explanation.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

@Scarlett thank you for those tips. I teach a Lady Shooters Beginner class and that is such a clear explanation.

You're most welcome… too often ladies (I did at first) will have shotgun in wrong place and end up with an arm bruise…

Big hugs!

Scarlett

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Golly Eyesa,   we've been friends for a few years now and I didn't know you wore a bra.

..........Widder

I don't ;)! But live with a shooter that does.:P

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Go with a regular cup and avoid under wires. A sports bra works well if not costuming as a soiled dove. You're welcome!

Wow, I'm going to need a lot of vodka to unsee the mental images your post and Rev. Chase's post generated.  I may not eat for a year or two.

3 hours ago, Scrappy said:

Thanks for all the advice and disturbing mental pictures!

All part of the service provided on the Wire.  And by all means take Johnny Meadows up on his offer.  And be sure to tell him whether her choice is for a single or double trigger gun.  

Archived