SASS Wire Forum

Do you carry your guns loaded?

Alpo

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

I mean fully loaded.

The other day I was reading the Sackett book Galloway, and Flagan (wonder why he named it Galloway when it's actually about Galloway's brother Flagan?) while unarmed was being hassled by these three or four guys on horseback, and he managed to get one of them's gun. So they all left. Then he checks the gun and it's only got three rounds in it. "Damn a man that doesn't reload!!"

Oookay

One of the Mike Hammer books - have no idea which one - he's being accused of shooting somebody and the cops believe that they have proof. There's only six rounds in his gun. He says that's all he ever carries. His friend Pat - chief of detectives or captain of homicide or some sort of big cop muckey muck anyway - agrees that all Mike ever carries in his gun is six rounds.

And when I first read that I wondered why in the world you carry an eight round pistol and only put 6 rounds in it? Or even if he was one of those strange people that didn't top off. Shove a 7 round magazine up the butt of that 1911 and jack one in the chamber. That's still having seven in the gun.

In one of the Honor Bound series, Enrico has to shoot the lock off the gate. Then he pops the magazine out of his Systema, pulls a loaded magazine out of his pocket and puts that up the gun, then takes some loose rounds out of another pocket and tops off the magazine. That makes sense. You don't carry partially emptied guns. At least I don't.

Ammo was expensive then.  Folks bought individual rounds unlike today. . 

I used to carry a 4" 1911 and I always carried it locked and cocked with the safety on. people always commented that that was dangerous and I should carry it unloaded since it had a hammer. I always told them that there wouldn't be a point in carrying it if it was unloaded. 

An unloaded gun is an unwieldly and poorly balanced club.

Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice - don't get stingy with ammo.

Hollowpoints - when you care enough to send the very best.

1911 - 8 rounds on target in 1 second.

911 - 1 cop on site in 8 minutes

You decide which suits your purposes.

Extra ammo adds weight.

Extra mags add bulk.

Most civilian shooting require 3 or less rounds.

And yet, I have never heard anyone ever wish they had carried less ammo.

Ammo can be bought in bulk - The lives of yourself or loved ones are limited.

The loudest noise in the world is "click" when you were hoping for "bang".

Ammo is like bringing bubble gum to school - if someone asks if you brought enough for everybody - the answer better be YES.

My EDC has a 14 round capacity. I used to just carry it, fully loaded, and not worry about running out of “bad guy repellent”.

I haven’t changed my carry procedure, but now I keep a second 20 round magazine nearby, stoked, when I’m out and about.

9 hours ago, The Surgeon said:

I used to carry a 4" 1911 and I always carried it locked and cocked with the safety on. people always commented that that was dangerous and I should carry it unloaded since it had a hammer. I always told them that there wouldn't be a point in carrying it if it was unloaded. 

Wouldn't be of much use without that hammer, either.

A friend of mine at work, before I retired, used to carry a Ruger LCP w/laser in a pocket holster. Carried it in his right front pocket with an empty chamber and full mag. When he told me about the empty chamber, I asked him why. Told me that he didn't want to shoot himself. I told him that there was no way he would be able to chamber a round before an attacker would be on him. He said "Wanna bet". Naturally, I said heck yes and set the bet at $20.

We set the rules as the common 21' away with a knife. We emptied the mag, checked the chamber, double checked again, holstered the LCP and he put it in his pocket. I got a piece of rolled up copy paper to simulate a knife, measured the distance and got set to run up and stab him with the rolled up paper. I'm sure he was confident as I was a heavy smoker at the time, over weight with bad knees and feet. Had someone yell go...I got to him, stabbed him in the ribs with the rolled up paper (he said it hurt) all before he even got the gun out of his pocket. He would have been severely injured or dead had I been a real attacker.

He ended up going to some self defense courses and some firearm training classes and got much better at drawing the LCP...but still wouldn't carry with one in the chamber. 

You can lead a horse to water...

Everyone has ditzy friends, deciding who will stay and who will go is the trick.  My first CCW class the huge deputy running the class asked for a 7 yard knife charge volunteer. Having been in Law Enforcement and studying / teaching martial arts for decades, I stepped up.  I drew and  "shot" him 4 times.  He followed through with his charge, didn't throw him, got my CCW.  Whatever works.

Read through this thread with a combination of admiration, and jealousy. Being a Canadian, carrying open or concealed is not legal in Canada. Even as a winter Texan I still cannot carry. Just plain sucks.

2 hours ago, Dusty Driver said:

Read through this thread with a combination of admiration, and jealousy. Being a Canadian, carrying open or concealed is not legal in Canada. Even as a winter Texan I still cannot carry. Just plain sucks.

I had the question in light of the couple that were both killed by a grizz in Banff Nat'l Park a couple of weeks back. It appears they were probably in their tent at the time of the attack, but their bodies were outside. Indications are that one was able to deploy bear spray, and also send a satellite SOS, so there was some response time, however fraught. 

Is it legal to carry a handgun in the backcountry in Canada, or any of its provinces, for this sort of defense? I'm guessing not, but I don't know.

6 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Everyone has ditzy friends, deciding who will stay and who will go is the trick.  My first CCW class the huge deputy running the class asked for a 7 yard knife charge volunteer. Having been in Law Enforcement and studying / teaching martial arts for decades, I stepped up.  I drew and  "shot" him 4 times.  He followed through with his charge, didn't throw him, got my CCW.  Whatever works.

My brother in law is a retired SWAT officer. Both he and my sister have studied multiple forms of martial arts. He also keeps her up on everything he has learned in law enforcement. (I hope it comes in handy for them in La Vernia , Texas. He says it is getting bad there with the open border garbage.) Anyway, there’s a huge difference in learned reflexes and speed to assess, decide and react to any given situation. And. These reflex body and mind reactions should be maintained in order to maintain the greatest possible speed any  given age. Given my health, and ability to move i am now in need of techniques for old and disabled but the cost of the training is out of my reach. So for me, it’s practice……. Situation awareness…..Assessment………reaction.  Engage, stand or attempt to conceal/flee.  The most important to me is obviously defensive. Practice concealment of firearm, pulling said firearm and instead of wasting ammo ( although I always carry enough) Practice Accuracy (which I do) I also invest in firearms that are more accurate than I am. Better to try to get to get accurate there than to try it with a less accurate firearm. Say as in the difference between a Springfield top of the line 9mm and a Statacco C2. No comparison of manufacturing quality and accuracy. 

I would not want to encounter you with your training in a fight with less. My mind would likely seek escape. However, I am not likely to know the capabilities of my attacker in much the same way as a law enforcement officer doesn’t.  Therefore, I’m concentrating on avoiding circumstances that present a criminal opportunity. I’m a bit paranoid, which is just another level of alertness. I still enjoy my life.

Alpo. A weapon loaded the way you describe does not make sense, especially to those of us that are aging. Nor is shoot to wound. Center mass baby and end the threat. Period.

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

A friend of mine at work, before I retired, used to carry a Ruger LCP w/laser in a pocket holster. Carried it in his right front pocket with an empty chamber and full mag. When he told me about the empty chamber, I asked him why. Told me that he didn't want to shoot himself. I told him that there was no way he would be able to chamber a round before an attacker would be on him.

On 10/19/2023 at 2:09 PM, Ezra Hawthorne said:

With the recent ammo famine going on, are you sure about that? <_<

Yes I sure.  Today there is no ammo to buy. :D

9 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I had the question in light of the couple that were both killed by a grizz in Banff Nat'l Park a couple of weeks back. It appears they were probably in their tent at the time of the attack, but their bodies were outside. Indications are that one was able to deploy bear spray, and also send a satellite SOS, so there was some response time, however fraught. 

Is it legal to carry a handgun in the backcountry in Canada, or any of its provinces, for this sort of defense? I'm guessing not, but I don't know.

The short answer is no exceptions for any reason. Licensed trappers can apply for a open carry permit. BUT these are very difficult to get approved. 

We would like to hike at Tahoe or other woods trails... but cannot open carry.

This means we have zero protection from two and four legged predators.
I really enjoyed open carry in NV.

2023.10.17-GSR-4482.sfw.jpg

Archived