SASS Wire Forum

A new ride for Pat

That’s one of those crazy Ural motorcycles from Russia. If you remove the side car they’re dangerous to ride, according to a guy I met that owned one. He said the bike is designed to have the side car and the wheel on the side is also a drive wheel. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c2bd193198a642cc4c09d3fc6d2044e0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Engine doesn't look right for beemer or urinal. :lol:

It appears modified or pipes were added for show 

I have long heard that the Ural was a knock-off of a WW II (late 1930's) military BMW.  Seems to be some substance to the story....  :rolleyes:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/nazi-germany’s-motorcycles-were-so-good-designs-are-still-being-used-196047

Motorcycle Photograph - BMW military motorcycle by Arterra Picture Library

Russian Retro Motorcycle URAL Khaki. Moto During The Second World War With  Soviet Symbols Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 136345984.

18 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

That’s one of those crazy Ural motorcycles from Russia. If you remove the side car they’re dangerous to ride, according to a guy I met that owned one. He said the bike is designed to have the side car and the wheel on the side is also a drive wheel. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c2bd193198a642cc4c09d3fc6d2044e0.jpeg

I looked at them 15 years ago.  Only some models have the driveshaft over to the side wheel.  Those that do also have a mechanical lever to engage and disengage the side wheel drive, making it more pavement friendly.   Did he say why they are dangerous without the sidecar?  The wheels appeared to be inline and the engine appeared centered in the frame.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Pat's head is to Big to fit through the little doors lol :P

The Ural is/was available with or without the sidecar and the sidecar models available with or without the off wheel drive.

I almost bought one for Schoolmarm back in 2000 when she decided that she wanted a motorcycle of her own.  It was really too tall for her and we bought a new Sportster for her instead.  Had to lower the front forks and install shorter springs/shocks on it so that she could put her feet flat on the ground when she was straddling the bike.

I only ever encountered a few people who rode Urals, but I don’t recall anyone having much of anything negative to say about ‘em.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

Did he say why they are dangerous without the sidecar? 

He did. He said that it was very awkward when the side car was removed. He said the bike model he had was meant to be ridden with the sidecar.  I can’t remember if he said it was right or left turns that were very unstable without the side car. 

EDIT: I asked him about parts and maintenance. He said that he did everything himself as there wasn’t a lot of support for these bikes. Parts were available if you were willing to wait for them to be mailed to you. 
I recall he said that the bike was fairly easy to maintain, but that valve lash adjustments were annoying to do yo get them right. 
If I recall correctly he got his from a shop in Seattle, WA. I met him in Oregon. I would see that guy every couple of days, rain or shine riding that aural around the area south of Portland. 

Archived