SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith for Rossi Puma 92 Saddle Ring Carbine

Pat Riot

Does anyone know of an active gunsmith that specializes in Rossi Puma 92 carbines?

Asking for someone else. I don’t own one. 

Is Steve’s Gunz still doing gunsmithing on these? Last I heard he was slowing down on taking jobs. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Is it broken, or just need action work done? If just action work, I have a couple websites saved I can put up.

Action work and Thank You

Try here:

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/field_strip.htm

http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Oct03/FeatureProject.htm

The single thing I did that worked the best for me, (I was having feeding problems), was to cut a few coils off the ejector spring. 

They are really not hard to work on .

Watch some YouTube videos and have at it .

You will get to know you gun too !

So Saith The Rooster 

SHOTGUN BOOGIE GUNWORKS also carry a complete "kit" for Rossi '92 Replicants.  Also carries caliber specific stainless magazine springs and followers.  The fun part with a '92 is getting it back together  :rolleyes: 

I agree with cutting a turn-and-a-half off the ejector spring, then smoothing the cut end, and put the spring in a bench vise and compressing it a bit.  I've often wondered if some railroad ever figured out who had been stealing the coil springs out of their freight car trucks! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I agree with cutting a turn-and-a-half off the ejector spring, then smoothing the cut end, and put the spring in a bench vise and compressing it a bit.  I've often wondered if some railroad ever figured out who had been stealing the coil springs out of their freight car trucks! :rolleyes:

I totally agree. On my rifle, it seemed the the ejector spring was putting so much pressure on the round as it tried to load, that it was forcing it away from the chamber mouth causing the loading problems. I cut it down and now it works.

I completely agree with the purchase of Nate Kiowa Jones DVD for setting up the '92.  All the information one needs to do the job.  the only thing not previously mentioned is the Extractor.  '92 extractors are much stiffer than needed and can stand being CAREFULLY reduced.  Most won't believe just how fast a well set up '92 can be.  In the early years of CAS, the "Go-To" rifle was the '92 and it would run rings around an OEM '73.

12 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Go to harbor freight buy this spring assortment. One of them is what you need for the ejector spring.

1693361151483990445488254629936.thumb.jpg.35054023a0ec041ee641672171eba703.jpg

I don’t think I’ll trust Harbor Freight springs in any of my guns. 

OK go to home depot and buy a spring assortment.

Point is if you use a less powerful spring you don't have to be cutting your OEM spring.

Mine pops the rounds out on top of my hat now instead of the next county over.

Look at youtube and use an EMPTY cartridge in the extractor to get things lined up 

I had feed problems for a couple matches and had to borrow a rifle to complete. Turned out the little flat spring behind the feed finger was not seated properly and I had a booger of a time getting it in right. But it works fine now.

21 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Point is if you use a less powerful spring you don't have to be cutting your OEM spring.

Point is that if the OEM spring isn't working, adjust it to make it work. If it doesn't work as is and I replace it, what do I do with it? I'm NOT going to put it back in the gun as is, so why not make it work instead of replacing it with a spring of unknown quality.

You're going to have to experiment with different springs to get it right, why not experiment with cutting a half coil at a time? You're going to be an expert at disassembling and assembling your gun by the time you're done anyway. Use a known good spring that's made for the purpose.

Yer gun do what you want. I like to keep OEM as backup after I adjust things.  I buy springs all the time of unknown origin and manufacture. Who knows where Brownell and wolf and others get their slickem up stuff.

I looked at the internet read forums and tried it myself. 

Sasswire has rossi 92 threads over a decade old. The info is out there.

Have a happy day

The issue with cutting a too strong spring is that when you do, you now have a shorter spring of the same stiffness (power) that has less travel distance. I much prefer to replace the original spring with one of about the same length but made of smaller wire. This will keep the original travel length with a softer power. Better all around. 

Sam Sackett 

I honestly don't believe a spring has any idea of what it is or what it is powering.

And the idea that an OEM spring, screw or lubrication is inherently better than aftermarket is based on what?

OEM's are in the business of volume - 1 penny saved over a million units is significant - they are NOT using anything better than the bare minimum.

I resprung ALL my Vaqueros with coil springs from an Ace Hardware - at $9.99 for a pack of 20.

Worked just as well as any factory or custom aftermarket.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

If your friend is mechanically inclined the action work is not that hard.

Buy the DVD, follower and ejector spring from Nate Kiowa Jones' website

That DVD contains a wealth of knowledge and wisdom boiled down into understandable and easily followed instructions.  Absolutely a worthwhile investement!  

Archived