SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

Suggested for you  ·   · 
image.thumb.png.bd06414e9257ddf7147a17e3fe21edb8.png

On this date, December 30, 1912, Lee Humiston, using a 1,000 cc twin cylinder chain driven Excelsior circled the banked one-mile oval track at Prince’s Playa del Rey, California in 36 seconds flat to become the first motorcyclist in the world “officially” timed at 100 mph.
One week after his milestone accomplishment, “The Humiston Comet,” as he was promptly nicknamed by the press, surpassed Jake DeRosier’s record for 100 miles, trimming nearly seven and a half minutes from the fatally injured rider’s best time. Excelsior had won the race to the magic 100 mph mark and they had smashed the Indian-held record for the 100-mile distance as well.
The publicity was enormous. Every school boy in America knew that a man had traveled at 100 miles per hour on a motorcycle, and that he had accomplished this feat on an Excelsior built in Chicago.
May be an image of 1 person, bicycle, motorcycle and text

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4a05a49343cc1e349f414d378481d86f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cfb8f82b1fcd693e011a2516b352c7bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1c0ed8b5182ae3baea26593a52b2c0fe.jpeg

Definitely dressed for the ride, not the slide

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:48 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

image.png.38e96f7dcb6ffb463e066f90aaa09048.png

That all depends on the car and its driver. In my old RX7, or AB's WRX, I would look at a sign like that with a smile. Heck, in my old Neon R/T I would've enjoyed it, and I would look at it as a challenge in my Wilderness, which seems to handle better in twisties than it has a right to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

images.jpg

I made my own version of this. I had just parked my bike at work and walked out to talk to a guy. As I turned I saw how my bike was parked and I remembered the meme above and made my own. 

image.thumb.jpeg.63f3b8fc51b46001537d6cec222e4a0b.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

I made my own version of this. I had just parked my bike at work and walked out to talk to a guy. As I turned I saw how my bike was parked and I remembered the meme above and made my own. 

image.thumb.jpeg.63f3b8fc51b46001537d6cec222e4a0b.jpeg

Yes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=476&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Freel%2F1739616656507568%2F&show_text=false&width=267&t=0" width="267" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true">/iframe>

Would have turned the hat backwards, otherwise funny.

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=476&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Freel%2F1739616656507568%2F&show_text=false&width=267&t=0" width="267" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true">/iframe>

Would have turned the hat backwards, otherwise funny.

No idea what that link is supposed to be. 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.8d206df92770df630d567e1838936ba6.jpeg

I have done this numerous times.
Always lock the steering and leave a note on your bike telling the car owner what will happen if they touch your bike. 
image.jpeg.83795423799bb7f36390e21ddc9521de.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

That person with the Red Ford should come out to 4 valve stems missing... 

Jabez Cowboy

Or at the very least, a pebble in each valve cap.:ph34r:

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

That person with the Red Ford should come out to 4 valve stems missing... 

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Or at the very least, a pebble in each valve cap.:ph34r:

I have seen some nasty things done to cars parked in our motorcycle parking at work. My favorite was parking, I mean…someone parked a 10,000 pound forklift in a way that kept a guy’s car stuck there for 3 days. 
Other times cars lost tires due to really strange sidewall damage. 

Vandals! Whoda thunk it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

image.thumb.png.d88c1f3707a709622a9c1170ba5b72f5.png

Yep!

Last year from Thanksgiving to March I was able to ride at least once nearly every week. Not this year. I haven’t ridden my bike since December 1st. 

Global Warming my @$£!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

You just need the right parts on your bike.  A properly setup bike can ride places even a snowmobile can't get to.  

72581C9E-604D-461F-A08A-9BA8EEDF4B34_1_105_c_2000x.jpg

AATXAJxQlT0N7MFKgjayAo2Enp7kdMR6aRFqdWW_KA%3Ds900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo-3891667820.jpg

Ooh that looks like fun. If I lived somewhere that got a lot of snow I would definitely look into one of these. :D

• Haha 2

A serious recommendation to those who enjoy flat track or circle track racing, look for an ice race at a hockey rink near you.  They may limit competitors to traction screws.  The AMA ice races on frozen lakes can get more exciting as the riders don’t worry about traction with ice picks.

A0CCF5B0-A8FB-4DB5-8F64-ABF13681A5FB.jpeg

7DCC5A87-D53F-4D9B-BCD7-7022716E1B0D.jpeg

• Like 3

Ice racing has been around a long time!

I would NOT like to make contact with one of those tires!!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Bagger, 2-up, trailer, in the snow, how does he ride the motorcycle with cajones that big?

CB07283D-B54E-4173-8FA6-1308013B52E3.jpeg

We rode out of the Shenandoah Valley one year in worse conditions! Harley dresser and a trailer! The U turns going down the mountain were sphincter tightening. The ice built up  over an inch on the windshield. Temps in the low 20s. Was 70 2 days earlier! Had to get back north for work. Hit white out snow for half an hour going over the Allegheny's. Had icicles hanging from my knees and the spokes looked like birthday candle holders.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Frikken otto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have ridden in 18 degrees and 110 degrees. Both require proper gear. What I won’t do is ride when it is icy. I have encountered black ice and once I crashed into a sand pile. The sand pile was placed there to put on the road in case of  icy conditions. I guess someone didn’t get a memo or a call. -_-
My bike careened nicely right into the pile. I flew over the handlebars and the sand pile and landed flat on my butt fracturing my tail bone. 
I got up and carefully made my way to my bike. It was upright. The front tire was embedded in the sand and the rear wheel was spinning on the ice as the bike was in gear. 
I managed to get the bike out and when I hopped on I got absolute feedback on my tailbone fracture. That was a very long ride home. 30 miles of pain, but my bike was fine. Had some fine scratches in the front fender. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

During the period when all I had for transportation was my old Harley, I rode in snow and ice and whatever else the weather had to offer.  

I once broke my ankle when a neighbor drove out of his driveway without so much as glancing down the street to see what might be coming, despite the thundering of my open heaser that he was notorious for complaining about! I laid the bike down to keep from hitting him broadside!  He didn’t stop or even look back.

Fortunately, the fracture was not displaced and I picked the bike up and went on to work.  I went to the “Doc in a Box” at lunch and got it X-rayed. They put an inflatable splint on my ankle and I laced my boot up over it and went back to work.

I really liked those days and never felt like I needed a four wheeled vehicle.  As mentioned in previous posts, having the proper gear for the weather and the road conditions is essential to safely operating and surviving motorcycle travel.

The one time that I chose to depend on someone else for a ride, the forgot to pick me up and I wound up riding to work after all!

I have ridden in weather that resulted in my beard and my hair being frozen together and icicles hanging off the back of my head.

I once rode home from my college classes in an ice storm that struck after I got to school. I was taking college classes while rehabbing from a broken back  I had long before learned to NEVER leave home without LEATHER! It was twenty miles an hour for almost forty miles and I rode with my boots on the ice several times for several miles that day. My biggest concern was people in cars and trucks that didn’t drive well in good weather trying to go places that they didn’t need to go and who never thought about motorcyclists, good weather or bad!

I probably wouldn’t go back to those days now, but I could if I had to.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Riding in hail really sucked in my humble opinion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Riding in hail really sucked in my humble opinion!

Much worse with an open faced helmet!!  Sleet sucks too!

• Like 4

What the hell were we thinking! Definitely too old for that crap now!!! Assuming I had a choice.;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1