SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

Yeh like going out to fill the tank. 2 tanks later ya get home with an empty tank.:)

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

image.jpeg.ca9a7fbf587e5584cb4bd16d0d861acd.jpeg

I like it!! Pretty much the case.

• Like 2

I’ve been known to follow the front wheel on my ol’ Harley for days at a time!!  

I have ended up back home every time, but ya’ never know…

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

FB find

Enjoying the View along the Kings River.  Image taken 1909-1911.  Imagine being able to ride your motorcycle along the banks of the Kings River, unimpeded by anything.

FB_IMG_1705744964988.thumb.jpg.31fefe826dd4c77c5f986eefa749ff83.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB find

Enjoying the View along the Kings River.  Image taken 1909-1911.  Imagine being able to ride your motorcycle along the banks of the Kings River, unimpeded by anything.

FB_IMG_1705744964988.thumb.jpg.31fefe826dd4c77c5f986eefa749ff83.jpg

That’s a cool photo. Imagine what would happen if you did that now. 
You’d have tree huggers and cops hot on your tail. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The crew that I rode with for several years would pack light, taking a few snacks and some drinks in bedrolls and saddle bags and hammocks for extended weekends. We camped in secluded spots alomg the rivers and creeks, everywhere.

There was a campground on the Buffalo River, not far from the Natchez Trace that was a favorite for trips heading south.  The folks who owned it would charge us one fee for the whole gang and put us in the most secluded part of the park. We often strung up our hammocks in branches that hung out over the water, build a small campfire and cook grub we bought from the general store at the campground.

We’d ride the Trace the next couple of days and camp the same way each night, or we’d wander through the backroads and find places where we could spend the night under the stars.

On a trip north one time, we camped in a city park beside the Wabash River.  You could set up camp and a ranger would come around and collect the camping fee.

We were settling in for the evening when the ranger showed up and there were several motor homes and trailers scattered around. A bunch of kids were carrying on and it was like what we always called “Jellystone Park”!

The ranger chased the kids off, (they were local teenagers that weren’t even camping) and we thanked him as we all went digging for cash to pay for our stay.  He kinda’ waved us off and told us about a part of the park that was down by the water, very secluded, and had lots of trees that we could swing our hammocks from. “You boys can build a fire down there and do whatever you want, we’ll keep the kids out, and it won’t cost you anything!”

We moved like RIGHT NOW and he was good as his word! We made a run to the local grocery, We cooked and ate and those that wanted had a beer or three. The rangers and the cops drove by a few times during the evening and a little after midnight without even coming into our camp, called out quietly to make sure we were all good, and otherwise, left us alone!

We stayed two nights and even left our gear there while we took in the sights and found a place or two that served good steak and such!

It’s been fifteen years and more since we were out like that. I often wonder if any of those old places are even still there and mostly doubt that we’d be allowed to do it the way we did back then!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Blackwater 53393 a good friend and I used to do something similar only we didn’t ride bikes. I had a bike. He didn’t. After he got a bike he moved so we never got to do a trip like that. 

It’s so odd that you posted this. Kind of a weird Deja-what a coincidence kind of thing. 
Not even an hour ago I was wondering if I could do a bike camping trip this Spring/Summer in a very similar fashion. I had decided that I was going to try and give it a go. :D

Odd…

• Like 3

I went looking for that tee shirt and all I found were quotes by George Burns and apologists news agencies sticking up for the current moron in charge. Bummer

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

image.jpeg.c2dbcec74d5df300a69947ad1017f856.jpeg

Bettin he's hard on a clutch:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Rotax?

image.jpeg.169c74082b15dbf82ccee3d394cc4dc8.jpeg

I thought they were using Rotax engines at one time but they are using Kohler engines now.

https://rokon.com/product-category/bikes/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I thought they were using Rotax engines at one time but they are using Kohler engines now.

https://rokon.com/product-category/bikes/

Rokon! That’s the name I was looking for. Thanks.
 I thought Rotax was wrong. After I posted I thought “Isn’t Rotax an engine?…”

@Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L Yes, the automatic motocross bike used a Sachs snowmobile engine which was a Rotax engine.  A different looking bike.  I don't know of any 2wd Rokon that used a Rotax.

Here is one converted to flat track.  That was probably a tough ride as the belt drive didn't provide engine braking and that disc was said to be touchy.

https://www.ebay.com/motors/blog/an-ultra-rare-museum-quality-flat-track-motorcycle-from-snowmobile-country/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1088706/1976-rokon-rt340mx/?aa_id=465047-0

20230906_123709.jpg

20230906_123650.jpg

Edited by sassnetguy50

14 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I went looking for that tee shirt and all I found were quotes by George Burns and apologists news agencies sticking up for the current moron in charge. Bummer

https://antantshirt.com/product/too-bad-the-people-who-really-know-how-to-run-the-country-spend-all-their-time-riding-motorcycles-tshirt/

https://laurenntee.com/product/too-bad-the-people-who-really-know-how-to-run-the-country-spen-all-their-time-riding-motorcycles-shirt/

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Johammer J1

Johammer.jpg

It’s kind of a bummer. It seems the company that made these isn’t around any more. Their website hasn’t been updated since 2015. 
I kind of like the looks of it. 

http://www.johammer.com/en/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/15/2024 at 7:27 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

image.png.a67229584bdf2642192473eaebb6f5c7.png

Every time I click this thread it loads this post as the start of the page and it bugs me.  They have attached a 1916 quote to a late 50s‐60s bike.   After some digging it looks like a Greeves 250.

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Every time I click this thread it loads this post as the start of the page and it bugs me.  They have attached a 1916 quote to a late 50s‐60s bike.   After some digging it looks like a Greeves 250.

For me that post is the first one on page 11.

• 2 weeks later...