SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

I carried big glass marbles. Shatter on impact so no evidence. Will not penetrate a windshield but will easily put a big chip in the glass. 

Once tossed a full big gulp over my shoulder. A hole got the message. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 11:27 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

I carried big glass marbles. Shatter on impact so no evidence. Will not penetrate a windshield but will easily put a big chip in the glass. 

I used to do the same. 
Back in ‘83 I had an easy to open leather pouch that I hung from my handle bar. In it were two large lug nuts. One day I had two idiots in a Datsun messing with me. Running up on me from behind, gunning the engine, lurching the car like they were going to hit me. I tossed a lug nut left handed over my shoulder. It went through the windshield dead center. The windshield became a screen of diamonds. They pulled over and I continued on my way. 
Later I decided that tossing lug nuts is a bad idea. I would hate to hit the wrong car or worse, possibly hit some kid riding in the back seat. 

I was discussing this with a buddy of mine and he told me about marbles. From then on I carried several shooters in my leather pouch. 
Results with marbles are as advertised. A very loud impact and they more or less instantly disappear into hundreds of little tiny pieces. Dipstick usually backs off. 

One of my favorite tricks to use in faster moving traffic when I had a tailgater was to shut off the ignition with the bike in gear.  I’d roll the throttle on, wide open, a couple of times and then flip the ignition back on!

My old bike has a two into one Santee 3 1/2” header with no baffles on it andan old S&S Super B carb with an accelerator pump added.

It’ll blow a four or five foot fireball when you flip the ignition on with it flooded with high test gas!! 

You orta have seen some of the reactions from the idiots on my six!!  Especially at night!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

One of my favorite tricks to use in faster moving traffic when I had a tailgater was to shut off the ignition with the bike in gear.  I’d roll the throttle on, wide open, a couple of times and then flip the ignition back on!

My old bike has a two into one Santee 3 1/2” header with no baffles on it andan old S&S Super B carb with an accelerator pump added.

It’ll blow a four or five foot fireball when you flip the ignition on with it flooded with high test gas!! 

Did you ever foul a plug or fail to restart doing that?  

25 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Never did mine;):P

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

NOPE!!  That thing is a dinosaur, but it has only failed to run once in all the time I have ridden it.

It has broken the final drive belt two times. Once, less than a hundred yards from the house and once on a trip with friends!  We had a chase vehicle that we loaded it on and nobody had to walk.  It has broken down a couple of other times over the 330,000 plus miles that I have ridden it, always somewhere that it was reasonably easy to get it fixed or get it home. 

It broke a piston one afternoon in Chattanooga and I rode it back to Nashville on one cylinder!!  

It’s almost like an anvil!! Crude as hell, but damn near indestructible!!  I wish I was half as tough as that old bike!!

• Like 4

I had a friend used to do that, in his Duster. We'd be riding down the road and he'd turn the key off and pump the gas pedal a couple of times and turn the key back on and there be a big backfire.

Then one day there was a nice backfire accompanied by a thump, and that 318 got real loud. Blew the muffler off.

• Haha 4

Mine had a good knack of breaking right in the driveway! Usually a day or two after returning from a couple thousand mile trip! Had to trailer it once when engine oil started leaking into the primary around the cast in crank bearing race holder.  Once the clutch finger in transmission broke,but was able to replace on the road! This was an 86 evo, not nearly as bullet proof as an old shovel.

• Like 1

One time out in Branson Missouri from Connecticut pulling a camper, I started hearing chi, chi sound! Sounded like it was coming from the front caliper, but braking was fine. Got home and couldn't find anything so went on a 100 mile dinner run 2 days after getting back. Another rider said it sounded more from the rear of the bike. When I washed it that weekend, discovered quite a few teeth just hanging from the drive belt!! Amazing it made it over a thousand miles at 75-80 mph with 2 people and a trailer with that belt shot. What PIA to replace, ya have to pull the rear motor mounts which also hold the swingarm arm on. If they had made it with an 1/8" more space between the swingarm and frame the belt would have slipped through the space by just removing the left bushing, but nooo!

Edited by Eyesa Horg

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Mine had a good knack of breaking right in the driveway! Usually a day or two after returning fromage a couple thousand mile trip! Had to trailer it once when engine oil started leaking into the primary around the cast in crank bearing race holder.  Once the clutch finger in transmission broke,but was able to replace on the road! This was an 86 evo, not nearly as bullet proof as an old shovel.

I remember one trip we took where a friend dropped a valve on his panhead.  We found enough parts to replace what broke, (a head with a good exhaust valve, some springs and keepers and a gasket) and fixed it on the sidewalk in front of the motel room where we stayed that night!  It beat the crap out of the piston, but didn’t break it and it didn’t pinch the top ring or damage the jug.

We were back on the road at daylight the next morning!! 

He kept the damaged head and had it repaired when he got back home.

• Like 1

Remember talking to a guy in the parts house one time. Talking about the difficulties I had finding parts for my Norton.

He said that's what he rode a Honda. Could get parts for it at the grocery store.

15 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

You don't have to.

Nope you don’t have to!  Because it takes a quarter million dollars worth of tools and a year to get the parts!

Don’t think for a moment that they don’t break down! I’ve hauled too many of ‘em to the Honda shop to believe that!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honda is like any other machine: they'll break. But I can probably find more 1980

's Era gwings running than AMC bowling pin Harleys. And as Harley went to Japan and started studying QC the product they offered got more reliable. I still don't think it's worth what they sell em for, but folks pay it so good for them.

I'd take a '75 cb750  right now over a mid 70's sportster. But I've been wrenching on red bikes since I was a teenager.

2 wheels down and to each his own. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nope you don’t have to!  Because it takes a quarter million dollars worth of tools and a year to get the parts!

Don’t think for a moment that they don’t break down! I’ve hauled too many of ‘em to the Honda shop to believe that!!

Just let that cam belt break like on my buddies! It grenades itself into the junk yard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Honda is like any other machine: they'll break. But I can probably find more 1980

's Era gwings running than AMC bowling pin Harleys

Maybe, but in all my travels doing Dig Safe markouts, I never saw an old Harley lying in the grass or bushes. Old jap bikes are everywhere in the fields and woods. I'd bet most of those old Harleys are still puttin a long or maybe in a garage/barn. At least around these parts it's incredibly rare to see an old Honda on the road, old Harleys are everywhere, all the time and average Joe can fix them with easily available parts. Just the view from my saddle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The “bowling pin”, as you call them, Harleys last just as long as the ones before and after AMF built them.  I can lay my hands on seven others besides mine in a matter of a couple of hours, or I can make a couple of phone calls and have them pull up in my yard before dark! The last of the AMF Harleys were delivered in 1981.

I will confess that I know where two CB750s are that still run and one more that’s in boxes. I honestly haven’t seen an 80’s Gold Wing on the road in several years!

I can also have three Panheads and a Knuckle in my driveway before supper this evening plus an 80” Flathead and at least one Servicar!!

There are two iron head Sportsters within ten miles of my house and I know where there’s a running KRK.

I probably know where there are more Triumph Bonnievilles than I do Honda or Yamahas of the same period and there’s a Norton Atlas somewhere close because I see it now and then!

My old iron is going on forty-five years old and it’ll probably be around and running long after they have said the final goodbye to me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago I used to say Japanese bikes are like Cricket lighters. They worked great until they were done. Once they were done they were inexpensive to replace. 

That’s not so true any more. Japanese bikes tend to last longer if well maintained. Rebuilding is still somewhat tricky because many Japanese companies only make a limited supplies of spare parts. Companies like Kawasaki that do not change designs of top selling bikes for years do have more supply parts for rebuilding and maintaining one’s motorcycle. 
I have been told by a number of people that would know that my Kawi should last well beyond 100,000 miles. Currently I have a little under 50,000 miles on it now. 

• Like 3

Found this photo on Acid Cow. 

This is a “Hold my beer and watch this” moment in the making. 
It’s dangerous enough riding a bike and dealing with morons in cars, but why add to your danger factor. 
I think I am safe to say that the owner of this bike has never been in a crash or they think they’ll never get into a crash. 

image.jpeg.1779d870e26734ae642c807ce7ff0185.jpeg

Or he’s just a dumbass. 

• Like 4

we just had a fatality a few minutes ago involving a motorcycle crossing the Mississippi River bridge between Natchez and Vidalia. I don’t have the details yet but the biker is dead. Probably not his fault. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My father told me about that. Said when he was a young aviation machinist mate - 5 ft 9, about 110 lb - they gave him an Indian chief to get around the airfield on. He said if he did not have the spark advance set correctly it would kick back and throw him over the handlebars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

My father told me about that. Said when he was a young aviation machinist mate - 5 ft 9, about 110 lb - they gave him an Indian chief to get around the airfield on. He said if he did not have the spark advance set correctly it would kick back and throw him over the handlebars.

In the late sixties, my cousin, Sam, bought an XLCH Sportster. They were kick start only. Sam weighed about 130 lbs. I weighed a svelte 195! On more than a few occasions, I would drive the fifteen miles to his house to start it for him! I actually saw him wind up sitting on the front fender one time after he failed to let go of the handlebars!!

After it was started and warmed up, he could easily start it.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2