SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine query

Pat Riot

A couple of months back someone here in the Saloon said they would love to have a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine but there are none to be had. 

I was in my FGS today and in the used gun displays they had a Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine and it looks to be a 7.5” barrel. It looks like it’s been fired quite a bit. The price is $699.00.

If you are interested in this PM me and I will give you the contact information. I could be persuaded to go and check it out in detail for you. 

I didn’t think to ask if I could photograph it today. 

Would that be FAVORITE gun shop?

Took me long enough to figure out that LGS was local gun shop. And now you're running in FGS on me?

Take pity on an old man.

I owned a Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk at one time, AND...... I reloaded for it.

Loudest pistol I think I have ever fired...... and I mean LOUD!

Yes, the barrel was 7.5" and it was fun to shoot (I guess you could say it was a blast).

..........Widder

56 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

That is a cool gun for sure...I fired a friend's one time at the range. Nice fireball and holy cow was it loud!

3 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I owned a Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk at one time, AND...... I reloaded for it.

Loudest pistol I think I have ever fired...... and I mean LOUD!

Yes, the barrel was 7.5" and it was fun to shoot (I guess you could say it was a blast).

..........Widder

I love the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Very accurate, LOUD and a great fireball, even in the daylight. If you guys think that the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is loud with a big fireball, check out the AMT Automag III in .30 Carbine. It's actually a pleasant shooting gun...as long as YOU are shooting it. Standing off to the side of someone shooting it is NOT so pleasant.B)

I had one once and sold it after making a friend go deaf even though he was wearing ear protection.  I wish I had it now as my son’s first gun was when he was 4 I took him to the CMP warehouse store in Anniston, AL and he picked out an underwood m1 carbine.  I thought the Blackhawk would make a nice companion to it now that he is older.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I love the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Very accurate, LOUD and a great fireball, even in the daylight. If you guys think that the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is loud with a big fireball, check out the AMT Automag III in .30 Carbine. It's actually a pleasant shooting gun...as long as YOU are shooting it. Standing off to the side of someone shooting it is NOT so pleasant.B)

I shot one of those years ago. Really cool gun. I had no use for one but it had a serious “Cool” factor. A coworker buddy of mine owned it. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Would that be FAVORITE gun shop?

Took me long enough to figure out that LGS was local gun shop. And now you're running in FGS on me?

Take pity on an old man.

Sorry Alpo. Yep, FGS - favorite gun store. 

40 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

. I don't think I have ever heard who fired the first shot, though

Pretty sure it was Flint Westwood.

Of course it is now no longer SASS legal, being under 32 caliber.

54 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Bit of SASS and CAS trivia ; the first shot at the first match was fired from a Ruger Blackhawk 30 Carbine. I don't think I have ever heard who fired the first shot, though.

Rex :D

Flint Westwood.

Got one. Love it. 3-screw model, NO (stinkin') transfer bar, and 4 (count 'em four) clicks. A 7 1/2 inch barrel. No stupid lawyer warning on the barrel. 

I am not about to send it back to Ruger, to be retrofitted with a transfer bar (transfer bar?. I ain't got no transfer bar.! I don't need no stinkin' transfer bar!).  I'd vote for sniffin' joe before I'd do such a fool thing.

Yep, it is loud, but nothing is too loud if you are wearing the correct ear protection, like you should.

I have one.  Recoil is fairly mild for such a hot round, but it has a nasty crack to it.  I don't notice it when I shoot mine, but everybody else does.

I bought one from another Marine who had the seven and a half inch barrel Mag-na-ported.  He couldn't handle the noise and after a few months I couldn't, either.  People wouldn't shoot next to me because the ports made the noise go sideways more more than the other non-ported model that another guy had.

Archived