SASS Wire Forum

Kitchen utensils; Which do you use the most?

I have six pairs of Xyliss scissors and use them more than all my knives together.  

I also have a "cheese" knife that came with Christmas gift a few years ago.  The whole set couldn't have cost more than fifteen dollars, yet this ugly little knife is still shaving sharp and so handy it gets a lot of use.  

Next is a 3 1/2" switchblade that I carry all the time.  It's perfect for opening packages while I use the other hand to manipulate the container.  I use it as a letter opener, too.

Then there some cheap large (bigger than most spoons in my drawer) spoons to remove stuff fron garsm cans,a nd bottles.  They are also useful for spreading much of the things they take out.... and butter. 

Two sizes of inexpensive "scissor" tongs get a lot of use, too, and various hot pads for handling hot stuff.

A Pyrex measuring cup has proven handy since I was ten years old.

What are your most used or favorite kitchen tools?

I was visiting my daughter one time, and she had this thing. It appeared to be a large kitchen spoon, with a very sturdy shank and wooden scales, that someone had cut the tip of the bowl off.

She said she found it at the Salvation Army. And it was a wonderful thing for stirring stuff. You try to stir something with a spoon, and only the pointed tip is on the bottom of the pot. With this thing you've got an inch and a half wide flat tip the scrapes everything up off the bottom and keeps it mixed in the liquid.

So for the next several years I kept my eye out for a large spoon with a strong shaft and wooden scales, that I could cut down and make one of these for myself.

And then I found it.

https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-Stainless-Scooper-Handle-Kitchen/dp/B07RZMKKFG/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?keywords=ice+cream+paddle&qid=1691168092&sr=8-28

It's made for digging out ice cream. And I bought two of them. I don't think this is the one I bought because I don't think I would have paid $11 for it, but I bought two. And while I do use one of them to get ice cream, I much more frequently use it to stir soups and stews and sauces. It is a very handy doober, and if she hadn't had one I never would have thought about buying that ice cream scoop.

Small metal spatulas from Pampered Chef. Ellie has 8 of them! About 2" wide and 4" long not including the handle.

I have a small cast iron skillet that has two half loop handles. It holds eight biscuits and they come out perfectly browned on top and crispy on the bottom!

I use it two or three times a week! A layer of oven parchment makes it really nice ‘cause you can pick up the parchment and the biscuits separate right out on the stove top!

Also a small six inch plastic tong. Great for turning bacon, picking olives or pickles out of a jar, (peppers too) or grabbing hot stuff out of a skillet!  They come from Amazon in batches of six or a dozen and when they’re shot, you can toss ‘em and grab another one!

I consider pans and knives to be basic necessities and utensils things like spoons, whisks, spatulas, and cutting implements other than knives.

Used almost every day:

Wooden spurtles:

natural-acacia-wood-kalorik-kitchen-utensil-sets-mh-wka-47238-n-64_600.jpg.cbe06559f361bece050b166bb5749217.jpg

and rubber spatulas, Oxo handheld mandolin, grater- either hand or box.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have a small cast iron skillet that has two half loop handles. It holds eight biscuits and they come out perfectly browned on top and crispy on the bottom!

I use it two or three times a week! A layer of oven parchment makes it really nice ‘cause you can pick up the parchment and the biscuits separate right out on the stove top!

Also a small six inch plastic tong. Great for turning bacon, picking olives or pickles out of a jar, (peppers too) or grabbing hot stuff out of a skillet!  They come from Amazon in batches of six or a dozen and when they’re shot, you can toss ‘em and grab another one!

Show us a picture o the skillet.  It sounds like something I could use.

I got this li’l feller, along with a couple other cast iron pieces, when my brother-in-law passed away and we had to clean out his apartment.  He had a lot of cast iron stuff and I wish I had kept more of it. It’s 10 1/2” .IMG_0079.thumb.jpeg.ff80ef9edcd2f964607045c17d8f8cf0.jpeg

I have a lid that fits it and another regular skillet. I got a nice griddle too.

Going over the Wally World and Cracker Barrel later on to look over their cast iron stuff.  If I don't find it there it's only about 18 miles to True Value  in Prescott....all to get something I did't know I needed 24 hours ago.

Thanks a lot Blackwater.  I owe you one.  :D

I’d bet you could find it at Wally World.  It was cooled off, earlier today, so I turned it over to see who made it.

It’s “Pioneer Woman” and I see that brand of stuff at Walmart pretty often.  The sides are a lot more vertical than what I see on my Lodge stuff!

Tomorrow is the grandson’s last weekend with us before school starts, so we’ll have biscuits and bacon and sausage and eggs for breakfast!!!

Archived