SASS Wire Forum

RIP Tony Bennett

Rye Miles #13621

Uno and I had the good fortune of seeing him live at a charity benefit in the late 90's.  His performance was amazing.  He received the longest ovation I have ever heard. 

God speed Mr, Bennett.  Thank you for all the memories.

Great and dedicated performer!

An icon in the entertainment world!

WELL DONE!!

A fantastic and influential entertainer.   Started singing at the age of 10, formal study after his discharged from the Army after WWII.
I was very much surprised at the television special a few years ago with him and Lady Gaga,  First, that his voice was still so good.  Second, how gracious and self-effacing Lady Gaga was with him.  My respect for her went way up.

Rest in peace, sir.  Thank you for many, many years of great entertainment.

53 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A fantastic and influential entertainer.   Started singing at the age of 10, formal study after his discharged from the Army after WWII.
I was very much surprised at the television special a few years ago with him and Lady Gaga,  First, that his voice was still so good.  Second, how gracious and self-effacing Lady Gaga was with him.  My respect for her went way up.

I've got that CD which is signed by my friend Joe Lovano, great jazz sax player, who was on that album. Great album (CD)

I have several of his music videos from Youtube bookmarked on my iPhone.  I enjoy playing them while I am paused for a few minutes.  With Bill Charlap, Ana Carolina...incredibly smooth music. Thank you Mr. Bennett for making so many wonderful recordings, so we can continue to enjoy your talent.

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Sometime after that special it was explained that he was having a difficult time with many things but that when he would sing he would kind of snap out of it and could perform. There were doubts about him being able to do that show. He wasn't recognizing people. It was a surprise when he saw her on stage and said, "Lady Gaga."

I saw him once with my wife and another time with my mom. Was able to take her to see him and a Johnny Mathis Christmas show. Watched them both my whole life. I actually like his singing more as he got a little older. His early recordings are sometimes a little harsh, all power.

Archived