SASS Wire Forum

Happy Birthday to Spam

Subdeacon Joe

Paul Sheldon: "You know I never tasted meatloaf quite like this. What's your secret?"
Annie Wilkes: "My secret is I always use fresh tomatoes, never canned. And to give it that extra zip, I mix a little Spam with the ground beef!"
"Misery" (1990)

On this date in 1937, Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.

Ina ddition to the abovementioned tribute, "Spam" is also a Monty Python sketch, first televised in 1970 and written by Terry Jones and Michael Palin. In the sketch, two customers are lowered into a greasy spoon café by wires and try to order a breakfast from a menu that includes Spam in almost every dish, much to the consternation of one of the customers. The televised sketch and several subsequent performances feature Terry Jones as the Waitress, Eric Idle as Mr. Bun and Graham Chapman as Mrs. Bun, who does not like Spam. The original sketch also featured John Cleese as The Hungarian and Michael Palin as a historian, but this part was left out of the audio version of the sketch recorded for the team's second album "Another Monty Python Record" in 1971. A year later this track was released as the Pythons' first 7" single.

Spam was a popular food during World War II in the UK. Although rationed, it was generally easily available and not subject to supply shortages, as were other meats. Thanks to its wartime ubiquity, the British grew heartily tired of it. The term "spam" in the context of electronic communications is derived from this sketch.  (Wikipedia)

1936canHormelSpicedHam.jpg

I may be the only person here to NOT like Spam in any cooked or uncooked form.

Nasty since 1936 and hasn't gotten any better with age. Ranks right up there with beets...yuk.:rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Nasty since 1936 and hasn't gotten any better with age. Ranks right up there with beets...yuk.:rolleyes:

Mmmmmm....

Beet and Spam hash!   

Yes, I've made it.  Boil the beets to slip the skin off, cut into small dice, fry in butter, add diced Spam, season with salt and pepper.

9 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Mmmmmm....

Beet and Spam hash!   

Yes, I've made it.  Boil the beets to slip the skin off, cut into small dice, fry in butter, add diced Spam, season with salt and pepper.

There is no puke Emoji. 

There ought to be...

OK, I can sort of understand not liking Spam, the texture is a little odd, and it's very salty, greasy, and heavy.

But beets?  Sweet, a little earthy, a little bitter. Play well with greens and citrus.

Let me guess, you've only had canned Harvard Beets that you were forced to eat as a kid.

I grew up poor.  Spam was a treat...!  :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, so was "potted meat" and Vienna sausages.  :huh:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

IK, I can sort of understand not liking Spam, the texture is a little odd, and it's very salty, greasy, and heavy.

But beets?  Sweet, a little earthy, a little bitter. Play well with greens and citrus.

Let me guess, you've only had canned Harvard Beets that you were forced to eat as a kid.

I don't know if the beets were from Harvard or Yale, could have been from Berkley for all I know. My family (mother's side) were farmers for many generations, beets were one of many different crops, we actually had fresh beets besides the canned beets. Forced to eat them as a kid, yes...as an adult, not an fn chance. The smell and taste of any kind of beet just sickens me to this very day. I'd rather eat pissed off fire ants.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

You are not alone! That stuff is awful!

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I hate SPAM. Hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE It!
My family loved and still love it. As a kid we ate what was put in front of us “or else”. I took a couple of good butt whippings over refusing to eat SPAM. Well, refusing then launching my plate across the dining room. I was a pretty stubborn kid. Fried SPAM and fried bologna gave me raging migraines. I can’t and won’t eat it. Probably due to the massive quantity of nitrates in that s***! 
There were two things in my home I wouldn’t eat. SPAM and liver & onions. Got into a lot of trouble over both. 
I could eat cold bologna, I can’t eat it fried. 

SPAM is not permitted in my home. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I hate SPAM. Hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE It!
My family loved and still love it. As a kid we ate what was put in front of us “or else”. I took a couple of good butt whippings over refusing to eat SPAM. Well, refusing then launching my plate across the dining room. I was a pretty stubborn kid. Fried SPAM and fried bologna gave me raging migraines. I can’t and won’t eat it. Probably due to the massive quantity of nitrates in that s***! 
There were two things in my home I wouldn’t eat. SPAM and liver & onions. Got into a lot of trouble over both. 
I could eat cold bologna, I can’t eat it fried. 

Similar story! 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I dislike it, too. But there is an amazing number of people who like it. Really popular in Hawaii and Polynesia. Many Brits fry it along with eggs as a breakfast meat, like ham or bacon.

But I like liver and onions, properly made, which is the big point. Fried bologna? Never heard of that abomination....

When in 25th ID in 1970 VN I was part of a signal platoon that ran a MARS radio station in Dau Tieng.  I ran a pirate FM radio station that never broadcast elevator music (lifer music) except between midnight & AM when we rebroadcast AFVN.  Because the Staff Sargent in charge had a deal with the base S4 Sargent to make contact with the S4 Sargent's wife once a week and then call the S4 Sargent.  Therefore the S4 Sargent bypassed waiting for hours in the MARS station waiting room.  For the convenience or dinner meal every day was a barbecue.  We got steaks, chicken & SPAM plus fresh veggies & fruit.  I never saw steak* in a common mess hall in VN.  I was so tired of pot roast after VN that it took me more than 10 years before I at it again.  I didn't eat SPAM again until vacationing in HI in the 90's.

P.S. I am not fond of beets unless pickled.  Until adulthood I was frequently served creamed peas & peas & carrots.  Still hate them.  Hate beef liver, the blood taste & toughness.  Never had liver & onions until the Army.  Not bad, the onions tams the metallic taste.  My mothers choice for a quick meal was creamed chip beef on toast.  Hate it, to salty.  The SOS the Army mess served looked disgusting.  

* The steak was helicoptered to the top of Nui Ba Dinh (Black Virgin Mountain.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

mothers choice for a quick meal was creamed chip beef on toast.  Hate it, to salty.  The SOS the Army mess served looked disgusting.  

Good stuff, Maynard!

FB_IMG_1688615067474.jpg

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I grew up poor.  Spam was a treat...!  :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, so was "potted meat" and Vienna sausages.  :huh:

my wife loved fried Spam on toast.  I couldn't stand it, still can't.

I stopped eating Vienna sausages in the seventh grade after I read what was in them.  I not only stopped eating Vienna sausages, I also stopped reading labels.

Archived