SASS Wire Forum

Air Rifle Scope

Well, I literally "inherited" an air rifle today ~ a Ruger Blackhawk Elite.  Heck, I didn't even know that Ruger made airguns.  Anyway, an old friend passed away a few weeks ago, and his wife (I hate the word "widow") handed it to  me with the condition that it was not to be used on cats or squirrels.  

However, it came sans sights or scope... no one has any idea what became of the scope that came with it - probably of questionable quality anyway. 

That said, any scope recommendations?  :)

I didn't know that Ruger made airguns either so I looked it up. The scope or regular sights needed are really going to be determined by your intended distances. Evidently the rifle is very capable of longer distance shooting. Interesting info below.

https://thegunzone.com/ruger-blackhawk-elite-review/

Howdy,

I had to look up what this was. Never heard of it.

You might want to read up on reviews of this before you spend a bag of gold dust.

It came with a 4 power and the whole setup was about 79 bucks.

Maybe shoot it once and see what the noise level is??

After reading about it I would sell it and use the cash toward a 10/22.

All up to you of course.

Anyway 2-7 power scopes are great for short distance. and bright too.

Best

CR

Im told these rifles can turn a nice scope to junk pretty fast.

Check Amazon for air rifle or airsoft scopes. Some around $30.

Also check "shockproof scopes".

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/NyLeabon-Special-Eyepiece-Shockproof-Shooting/dp/B0BCH1WN1C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CYF6EJ9WXKNN&keywords=shockproof+scope&qid=1688311405&sprefix=Shockproof+Scope%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-4

Gamo air rifles come with shockproof scopes. I have one but cannot determine the brand of scope.

The thing appears to be well built and solid, and while it may not be an Anschutz or Feinwerkbau, I believe the retail new price was something north of seventy-nine bucks.  The thing appears to be well built and solid, and the reviews are overall positive.

But back to the original question ~ anyone have any actual experience with air rifle scopes?  As @Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 and others noted there are shock considerations.

20 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But back to the original question ~ anyone have any actual experience with air rifle scopes?  As @Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 and others noted there are shock considerations.    

As stated above, I have a Gamo air rifle with a scope. I have not noticed anything different than a regular rifle scope. I have it sighted in at 25 yards and it is very accurate.

image.thumb.png.d45ab9584662bde823752310e060dd0c.png

If you're just doing casual plinking Crosman has a 4x15 for about $20.  It won't take much knocking around but do hold up to the recoil of air rifles.

If you're thinking of rodent control there's a Winchester 4x32 for around $50 that's fairly durable.

Two bits of advice,

Go to Airgun Depot and filter by price then read reviews.

Get a bunch of different pellets - brands, type, weight - and find what works best for you.  Air guns are VERY picky about what you feed them.  If you look at some of the more detailed factory claims about airgun velocity, group size, muzzle energy, etc. you will see that they used a different weight and design pellet for each.

I have a Beeman dual cal (change the barrel ) 22 &177 , came with a Beeman marked scope 

I put a BSA red dot on a Benjman trail Xl for a nephew , seems to be holding up so far CLose to a year ago 

Grandson is wanting me to scope the New Benjman 392 (,177) and the 397 (,22) figure I will go to Pyramid Air to see what they have for scopes 

I am more inclined to put peep sights on them 

CB 

Hardpan, I don’t have any clue regarding air gun scopes and what’s best, but years ago I had a friend that shot air gun competitions. He put a nice Leupold scope on his air rifle. Nice as in a few hundred dollars nice. This was in ‘90 or ‘92. At the second match he was using his new scope the reticle broke. He sent it back to Leupold with an explanation. They called him and denied the warranty because the scope was used on an air gun. After talking with a supervisor and explaining that he owned close to a dozen Leupold scopes they repaired his scope for him. Had he not pulled the “I’m a great customer” card he would have been out that money.

Definitely buy a scope made for pneumatic guns. 

Howdy,

do yall go to the air rifle site to ask all abouts ol colt six shooters??

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????\

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

This is The Saloon not the wire. ;)

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

There is probably more communal knowledge of all shooting sports here than any three other shooting fora combined.

No experience with the Ruger, but with the right pellets, my Benjamin was easily capable of 1 MOA at 25 yards using iron sights. 

as others have stated piston powered air rifles require a scope designed for the different recoil profile.

I had a Gamo spring piston 177 cal. air rifle that had 1200FPS MV with 7 grain pellet.  I got it to kill the ground squirrels that overran the 100 foot wide gas pipeline that ran behind my house in Brentwood CA.  The rifle came with a variable power scope.  The only thing I found that it required quite a holdover at 10 yards & greater.  The air rifle disappeared from my bedroom closet after we had a house fire that burned the siding, sub floor and roof sheeting.  I suspect the disaster recovery people snagged it.  It took several months for the damage to be repaired & I forgot about it for more than a year.  I wanted an replacement that had greater range so I bought a Air Venturi 25 cal. Avenger pre-charged pneumatic.  At highest regulator pressure setting it is a varmint killer at 100 yards plus.

The Ruger should be a hoot to target shoot with.  Spring charge air rifles are noisy.  The PCP air rifles not so much.  Many like the Air Venturi Avenger's barrel is enclosed in a tube to attenuate the noise generated.

Archived