SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Caps Available

Tequila Shooter

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

May be legit, but I don't provide personal information just to browse.

You can type in any bogus email into the prompt and it will let you in. For example hlgszdn@kdfglsfg.edu works.

You just need to follow the email format of username@something.edu

Keep thinking that... :P.  Did the same for me... but wanted an email when I tried to find Remington #10s.

Just now, Tucker McNeely said:

My fake email worked.  How do you know they are legit? Why would this company have the coveted Rem 10s before the big box stores?

Well Natchez had them recently and I've heard of Rem 10s trickling in at Cabelas from time to time. 

That said those are priced  pretty high; were a bit cheaper when I got couple thousand recently from Natchez.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well Natchez had them recently and I've heard of Rem 10s trickling in at Cabelas from time to time. 

That said those are priced  pretty high; were a bit cheaper when I got couple thousand recently from Natchez.

Guess I’ll keep check Natchez. Thx.

23 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

My fake email worked.  How do you know they are legit? Why would this company have the coveted Rem 10s before the big box stores?

Probably legit...  Sorry for the poor pic... my picture foo from google earth isn't so hot.  But, what they have are Rem #11s, no #10s.

image.thumb.jpeg.fdc3d76a9e11c02a6773de16e39b835f.jpeg

They claim to accept credit cards. That’s a good sign. If they took PayPal, Zelle, or Venmo that would be a red flag. 

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can type in any bogus email into the prompt and it will let you in. For example hlgszdn@kdfglsfg.edu works.

You just need to follow the email format of username@something.edu

Sorry but once you do that they still got you.

• 1 month later...

What's the drama with cap shortages? It continues? I just got a 3D printed version of #10 & #11 & #1081 percussion cap maker kit, and I'm making my own caps. I should tell you, they are just great!

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 15.24.13.png

10 minutes ago, MrColt said:

What's the drama with cap shortages? It continues? I just got a 3D printed version of #10 & #11 & #1081 percussion cap maker kit, and I'm making my own caps. I should tell you, they are just great!

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 15.24.13.png

Cool, where are you located. We'd love to see how they perform under match conditions. 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Cool, where are you located. We'd love to see how they perform under match conditions. 

Given that this is MrColts one and only post I'd be careful.

The .STL files are available for free on the web. So anyone can print one.

53 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

What’s with the rainbow colors?

Design on the can they were cut from. If you zoom in you can see the patterns inside the caps.

There is no priming compound in them. 

image.thumb.png.3f2e9ddac0345c66a597e27e5c79cc5a.png

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Given that this is MrColts one and only post I'd be careful.

The .STL files are available for free on the web. So anyone can print one.

Yeah, my comment was mainly just to see if he'd reply and/or maybe be a potential new shooter.

There's no chance I'd personally use caps I'd made at home in a match. I really can't imagine them working very well under match conditions. 

Wouldn't recommend new shooters starting out with percussion revolvers either,  much less with homemade caps; but to each their own.

All the reviews I've read of the make your caps that end up in that configuration is that they simply don't work with a capper of any type.  I don't have the pudgies of fingers, but I can drop lots of them trying to cap on the gun by hand.  I'll 2nd SD's concern.  There are no SASS#s in the vicinity of "MrColt"... :P

BTW, Graf's as of yesterday afternoon had both RWS #1075 caps (250 count tins with a limit of 3) and Swiss 3F powder.  The 1075s work on my SlixShot nipples, just fine.   Dimensionally, they're the same size as Remington & CC#11's

On 7/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, Griff said:

All the reviews I've read of the make your caps that end up in that configuration is that they simply don't work with a capper of any type.  I don't have the pudgies of fingers, but I can drop lots of them trying to cap on the gun by hand.  I'll 2nd SD's concern.  There are no SASS#s in the vicinity of "MrColt"... :P

BTW, Graf's as of yesterday afternoon had both RWS #1075 caps (250 count tins with a limit of 3) and Swiss 3F powder.  The 1075s work on my SlixShot nipples, just fine.   Dimensionally, they're the same size as Remington & CC#11's

This is not correct. You can find a capper for homemade caps. I have one. Here's an example:  https://peacemaker.store/products/percussion-cappers-5pcs-with-decappers2pcs-and-deepers2pcs-for-10-and-11

I don't know MrColt, but that vendor of homemade cappers does apparently have 100% positive feedback on ebay https://www.ebay.com/usr/grodzisk_robotics#tab2 and the capper looks clever although not what we're used to.  No idea how long it would last, but probably most people making their own caps wouldn't wear it out very fast due to the time limitations of capmaking.

21 minutes ago, Hair Trigger Jim said:

I don't know MrColt, but that vendor of homemade cappers does apparently have 100% positive feedback on ebay https://www.ebay.com/usr/grodzisk_robotics#tab2 and the capper looks clever although not what we're used to.  No idea how long it would last, but probably most people making their own caps wouldn't wear it out very fast due to the time limitations of capmaking.

May I ask, what type of cappers do you personally prefer in a match?

9 minutes ago, MrColt said:

I haven't shot a match in a while (unfortunately), and I've never shot percussion in a match.  I'm just familiar with cappers from shooting my dad's muzzle loaders, and from a bunch of reading, watching, and shopping (browsing).  But I think those cappers look cool, and the only potential downside I can see is the bulk.  Even that isn't a big deal.

2 hours ago, Hair Trigger Jim said:

I haven't shot a match in a while (unfortunately), and I've never shot percussion in a match.  I'm just familiar with cappers from shooting my dad's muzzle loaders, and from a bunch of reading, watching, and shopping (browsing).  But I think those cappers look cool, and the only potential downside I can see is the bulk.  Even that isn't a big deal.

Thank you for raising that point. It seems like 6 caps could potentially be an issue. I was wondering if you could consider a 12-cap capper design instead. Would it possibly better suit the needs of Cowboy Action Shooting and accommodate the potential use of homemade caps in competitive shootings? I would appreciate hearing your opinion on this. Something like this: https://peacemaker.store/products/12-cap-capper-star-tool-2pcs-for-10-and-11-homemade-caps

On 7/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Just what we need on a Saturday Morning.  Another creepy TROLL.

Dear Mr. Colorado Coffinmaker, thank you for your kind words. Warm regards, MrColt.

3 hours ago, MrColt said:

This is not correct. You can find a capper for homemade caps. I have one. Here's an example:  https://peacemaker.store/products/percussion-cappers-5pcs-with-decappers2pcs-and-deepers2pcs-for-10-and-11

Thank you, I'd forgotten about the star type capper.  I'm familiar with them... just that I don't feel they work well in a match setting when recapping on the clock is a possibility.  Having shot in the pouring rain, I much prefer a snail capper for the added protection to the caps.  

3 hours ago, MrColt said:

I either use a in-line capper or a snail capper.  Another consideration for me is the seating of the caps on the nipple, with a in-line or snail type capper I can simply use the backside of the capper to seat the cap, not having to carry a separate seater is a boon.  In a timed event, (even if I'm as slow as molasses), not having caps seated fully is simply asking to have to "go around" at least one extra time.  

4 hours ago, MrColt said:

I do use homemade caps, and they are as reliable as the cheap 11 CCI.

At cowboy action shooting matches?

34 minutes ago, MrColt said:

Thank you for raising that point. It seems like 6 caps could potentially be an issue. I was wondering if you could consider a 12-cap capper design instead. Would it possibly better suit the needs of Cowboy Action Shooting and accommodate the potential use of homemade caps in competitive shootings? I would appreciate hearing your opinion on this. Something like this: https://peacemaker.store/products/12-cap-capper-star-tool-2pcs-for-10-and-11-homemade-caps

12 would be better but you can only cap 10(5 each) at the loading table.

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

At cowboy action shooting matches?

12 would be better but you can only cap 10(5 each) at the loading table.

Would you kindly consider whether the 10-cap capper design is the most appropriate option for the task and if it should be specifically designed for factory caps only?

19 minutes ago, Griff said:

Thank you, I'd forgotten about the star type capper.  I'm familiar with them... just that I don't feel they work well in a match setting when recapping on the clock is a possibility.  Having shot in the pouring rain, I much prefer a snail capper for the added protection to the caps.  

I either use a in-line capper or a snail capper.  Another consideration for me is the seating of the caps on the nipple, with a in-line or snail type capper I can simply use the backside of the capper to seat the cap, not having to carry a separate seater is a boon.  In a timed event, (even if I'm as slow as molasses), not having caps seated fully is simply asking to have to "go around" at least one extra time.  

Thank you for the answer. To advocate the use of homemade caps, I should say that seating the DIY caps is a much easier task for me than seating the factory caps – they are too tight. But this is just my humble opinion.

10 minutes ago, MrColt said:

Would you kindly consider whether the 10-cap capper design is the most appropriate option for the task and if it should be specifically designed for factory caps only?

12 in case of a revolver reload on the clock. 

You still haven't answered if you shoot these homemade caps on the clock at a match?

Are you a shooter or just interested in making caps and cappers?

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

12 in case of a revolver reload on the clock. 

You still haven't answered if you shoot these homemade caps on the clock at a match?

Are you a shooter or just interested in making caps and cappers?

I am the shooter, and I do shoot homemade caps, but not on the clock at a match. That's why I am interested in your professional opinion. In my observation, it is easier to seat DIY caps than factory caps, and if DIY caps could be reliable enough, could they help speed up the reloading process and potentially lead to better results? Just thoughts.

Archived