SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Caps Available

Tequila Shooter

Mr. Colt I’m curious why you’re so interested in what we use and I’m guessing here, what you can design?  If you’ve never been to a match then I’d suggest that you do so.  Frontiersmen have what works for them and they trust.  I went through different styles until I found the one I use now and it’s made in Poland.  

Normally we’re not capping on the clock and I’ve never seen anyone using homemade caps at a match. If we have too many FTFs we can incur a penalty so they aren’t worth the risk. 

8 minutes ago, MrColt said:

I am the shooter, and I do shoot homemade caps, but not on the clock at a match. That's why I am interested in your professional opinion. In my observation, it is easier to seat DIY caps than factory caps, and if DIY caps could be reliable enough, could they help speed up the reloading process and potentially lead to better results? Just thoughts.

I'm certainly no professional. I only shoot cap & ball occasionally in matches, though maybe next year I may switch to Frontiersman for a while. Regardless I don't think I'd trust homemade caps to go bang every time nor do I think they'd stay on the nipples and not create issues.

I will wish you luck in your endeavors though.

12 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Mr. Colt I’m curious why you’re so interested in what we use and I’m guessing here, what you can design?  If you’ve never been to a match then I’d suggest that you do so.  Frontiersmen have what works for them and they trust.  I went through different styles until I found the one I use now and it’s made in Poland.  

Normally we’re not capping on the clock and I’ve never seen anyone using homemade caps at a match. If we have too many FTFs we can incur a penalty so they aren’t worth the risk. 

Understood, thank you. I do plan to go to a match. I haven't been there yet because it is a seldom event, and I believe it takes place only in one city in the country where I do not live. But I will be there this year.

25 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm certainly no professional. I only shoot cap & ball occasionally in matches, though maybe next year I may switch to Frontiersman for a while. Regardless I don't think I'd trust homemade caps to go bang every time nor do I think they'd stay on the nipples and not create issues.

I will wish you luck in your endeavors though.

thank you

I've got a DIY kit.  22 reloader or something like that.  I punched out a few but they looked so ugly, I didn't bother putting the primer compound in them.  Wish they made the die and punch so you could use it in small press. 

Got about 2k of CCI, RWS and Remington #10s.  Hopefully that will bridge me over. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 12:50 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I've got a DIY kit.  22 reloader or something like that.  I punched out a few but they looked so ugly, I didn't bother putting the primer compound in them.  Wish they made the die and punch so you could use it in small press. 

Got about 2k of CCI, RWS and Remington #10s.  Hopefully that will bridge me over. 

A die and punch for the small press is actually a good idea. What kind of press do you have?

Archived