SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero ?

This is about the orginal larger frame Vaquero. ;)

What we usually call the Old Model Vaquero (OMV).

They came from Ruger with 23lb hammer springs. :o

For those who use these guns in SASS. What weight hammer springs are you run'n?  :huh:

I have tried 19, 18 and 17lb in mine, and will stick with 18lb. I feel the 18lb gives great lock time and hammer strike combination in the lighter springs. Especially when shooting real BP and the dust is blowing.

The 17lb spring always fired. But it just felt like a light hammer hit to me. :wacko:

I am also having to deal with Old Arthur in both of my hands. :angry:

These Rugers do run the Power Custom half cock conversations and are .44 magnum caliber.

I also use the 30oz trigger return springs. 

The springs all came from Wolff Gunsprings. 

TNX-;)

I always used the 17 lb hammer springs and the 30 oz trigger springs on the Blackhawks and Old Model Vaqueros.  Other than a little polishing, that's all the action work they got and they seemed to work just fine.

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I ran the 19# springs in mine with a 40oz trigger spring.

Same here.

Using CCI Primers not fully seated (like I do now - seat .005” or more below case head) I seated them flush. The 18# spring wouldn’t set them all off. 19# works. I would bet if I properly seated the CCI primers the 18# spring would probably work. 

Also, the 40oz trigger spring is pretty close to factory. I tried lighter springs and got a lighter trigger pull but often when shooting fast I wouldn’t have an AD but more of a shot fired before all the way back on target. :rolleyes:
The 40oz spring helped with this. I have a heavy trigger finger. I guess. 

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I have no idea what is in my pair of 45’s. You would have to ask Bob Munden and he sadly isn’t talking 

Question: Can you shoot like Bob Munden? :D

That guy was so impressive with his shooting and he was a really nice guy too. I was so sorry to hear about his passing. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Using CCI Primers not fully seated (like I do now - seat .005” or more below case head) I seated them flush. The 18# spring wouldn’t set them all off. 19# works. I would bet if I properly seated the CCI primers the 18# spring would probably work. 

Also, the 40oz trigger spring is pretty close to factory. I tried lighter springs and got a lighter trigger pull but often when shooting fast I wouldn’t have an AD but more of a shot fired before all the way back on target. :rolleyes:
The 40oz spring helped with this. I have a heavy trigger finger. I guess. 

I always seat primers to the bottom of the case's primer pocket, ALWAYS! ;) 

I tested CCI std primers, std & mag along with WW and R-P in std and mag version with the 18lb spring.

All popped. As they did with the 17lb spring.

The 17lb spring just felt like it was a much lighter hammer smack, along with a noticeably slower lock time than the 18lb showed.

The 18lb springs have been in use for over 10 years now. These Rugers have been used in some pretty miserable situations, as in covered with heavy BP fouling and very dusty conditions dealing with blowing silt(Mojave lapping compound :lol:), and such.

The 17lb springs were never tested in the conditions the 18lb springs were. 

Just surprised to see such a difference in performance with just 1 lb difference in spring rating. :blink:

I run 19/30 in my Vaqueros. Seems to be a good balance. They only FTF is when I get going too fast and don’t pull the hammer back enough to latch. Then no click when I pull the trigger.  You’d think I would learn…….

San Sackett 

(Sneaking into the Saloon (ACS) to answer this one…)

I have two “Old Model” Vaqueros in 44 Extra Long Russian, which is what a few of us called Elmer Keith’s creation when we were burning the Sacred Goex Incense.

My trigger job almost 30 years ago consisted of using a Dremel to cut two coils off the hammer spring, and then unhooking one arm of the trigger spring. 

Every round in the last near-30 years has gone BANG, and more than one person has asked who did my trigger job.

That’s what you call Redneck Gunsmithing, but it worked.

50 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

(Sneaking into the Saloon (ACS) to answer this one…)

Why are you sneaking in? Is your tab really high? :lol:

Completely off topic, but on topic, should anyone care…

If you ever replace a New Vaquero grip frame with an original Vaquero grip frame the factory 23# main spring from an original Vaquero will be needed to reliably set off primers. It still provides a nice hammer pull too. It must be the geometry of the RNV vs the original. 

I saw a really nice pair of NMV's today at a gunshow. They were 5.5", case colored, consecutive sn's, .45 Colt, very nice actions, one Ruger box for $1,200. Probably could have been had for $1,150. Just couldn't do it.

Damn show is only about 10 minutes away...wish I'd never saw them...Must resist.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I saw a really nice pair of NMV's today at a gunshow. They were 5.5", case colored, consecutive sn's, .45 Colt, very nice actions, one Ruger box for $1,200. Probably could have been had for $1,150. Just couldn't do it.

Damn show is only about 10 minutes away...wish I'd never saw them...Must resist.

Go and buy'em ;)

On 6/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Question: Can you shoot like Bob Munden? :D

That guy was so impressive with his shooting and he was a really nice guy too. I was so sorry to hear about his passing. 

I wish that I could. He was a great guy I asked him for an action job through his website he called me about an hour later and asked me what I wanted to do with the gun. He explained that that wasn’t the package that I wanted and talked me into a package that was half the price Since I had budgeted for the expensive package I was able to get both my guns done. They are now perfect and group at less than two inches at 20 yards. Money well spent.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I know how you feel. The last gun show I was at a guy had a beautiful S&W model 10 for $425. He rented a table to sell all his unused guns. It was pristine. He said it was only fired a few times and it looked it. I had to walk away. We just paid off a bunch of stuff and I wasn’t going to charge it to ad more debt. I still shake my head on that one. 

Archived