SASS Wire Forum

I 95 Collapse

Yul Lose

Just read that it could take 3-4 months to get the damage repaired from the tanker fire. Any of you pards having to change travel or commute routes because of it?

48 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

It has to be the driver I would think!

We had a homeless person set fire to a bunch of DOT storage stuff under I-85 in Atlanta several years back.  It collapsed about 8 lanes of suspended interstate and really caused a mess.  I don't know what it cost but they signed the contracts, worked 24 hours a day and had that interstate reopened in 30 days.  If they want to get it done and money is no object, they can get it done.  The rest of the interstate construction projects around Atlanta have been going on since Sherman left for Savannah.

Video from a driver crossing the bridge just before the collapse. Just before the video ends, the large dip in the bridge is obvious in the left side retaining wall as well as the vehicles bouncing coming out of the dip.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-captures-dip-road-moments-philadelphia-i95-collapse

The ostensible reason for building the interstate highway system, during the Eisenhower administration, was to allow evacuation of the major cities in the event of indications of a nuclear attack (by bombers, of course).  Seeing what will happen here for however long it takes to repair the damage, plus what we've seen when evacuations were ordered in Florida when hurricanes were impending, it makes the potential choke points vulnerable to accidents or intentional sabotage! 

On 6/12/2023 at 7:36 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We had a homeless person set fire to a bunch of DOT storage stuff under I-85 in Atlanta several years back.  It collapsed about 8 lanes of suspended interstate and really caused a mess.  I don't know what it cost but they signed the contracts, worked 24 hours a day and had that interstate reopened in 30 days.  If they want to get it done and money is no object, they can get it done.  The rest of the interstate construction projects around Atlanta have been going on since Sherman left for Savannah.

It's like their announcing that 285 was completed.  It took so long that the day after Andrew Young made the announcement, they started 'resurfacing' the eariest built sections.

If they keep expanding I-85, it'll be 6 lanes all the way to Lagrange and the I-185 junction. The sad thing is, it's needed in the mornings.  It starts getting crowded about Hogansville  on the north-bound side.

21 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

The story I heard was that having seen the Autobahn Ike wanted to replicate its military value.   More than you want to know. https://www.army.mil/article/198095/dwight_d_eisenhower_and_the_birth_of_the_interstate_highway_system

Ike remembered the travails of moving a convoy across the country in the thirties.

I95 is a key route for the snowbirds, very busy. I preferred I81.

Archived