SASS Wire Forum

Possum Trot

Red Cent

Would someone give directions to the place of legend staring at the nearest 4 lane

Possum Trot is no longer a shooting venue. It is located in Winfield, Tennessee in Scott County.

From Interstate Highway 40 at exit 347, take US Hwy 27 north to Winfield, TN.  Proceed through Winfield on US 27 to Pleasant Grove Rd. and turn right. Follow Pleasant Grove Rd. to Adkins Trail.  Turn left onto Adkins Trail and go to the end of the road then follow the sign and driveway to the venue.

It’s a pretty nice drive through small towns and along a winding, scenic road.

I think that you can still reserve a cabin. It’s easily found on most search engines. Just type in Possum Trot Tennessee.

We have moved the Place of Legend to Manchester KY. Same crowd, same fun and games.

I was super disappointed.  Had my trip to Possum Trot with my shooting partner all set up.  Possum Trot rolled up their sidewalks before we were suppose to go.  Major Bummer.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I was super disappointed.  Had my trip to Possum Trot with my shooting partner all set up.  Possum Trot rolled up their sidewalks before we were suppose to go.  Major Bummer.

I HATE that you missed it! It was magical!! One of the most amazing things was watching it grow and become what Smokin’ Joe had visualized! 

We became a family!  Everyone contributed something special or brought something special to the club!  We lived there on half the weekends the whole year and it became a place of welcome and an escape from all the stuff that weighed our real lives down!

Shooting as many as six matches a month, rain or shine! Shooting a great match and then sitting back and enjoying meals, poker games, and each other’s company into the wee hours of the morning! Then catching some Zs in your cabin before getting up to a country breakfast and another match the next morning! You’d finish that match and head to the cafe for lunch and the awards, (later it was the saloon) before you headed home on Sunday afternoon!

We moved the action and the family to Ponderosa Pines in Manchester, KY and the party goes on!  The heart and soul of Possum Trot lives on!  The scenery is slightly different, but the magic still happens!

im sorry i only heard of this now - i would have been in for a vicit , not that i may not visit manchester , im thinking one day that might be fun assuming your correct in that its the same hospitable folks -----but then what sass club isnt , ive never been to one yet that wasnt the best time ever , and ive driven some long distances , always been a great experience , i look forward to the future ones , 

23 hours ago, watab kid said:

im sorry i only heard of this now - i would have been in for a vicit , not that i may not visit manchester , im thinking one day that might be fun assuming your correct in that its the same hospitable folks -----but then what sass club isnt , ive never been to one yet that wasnt the best time ever , and ive driven some long distances , always been a great experience , i look forward to the future ones , 

I can tell you for a fact that it’s the same bunch of folks! I’ve been shooting with some of them for the better part of twenty years! I was at the very first official match at Possum Trot and at the very last match as well.  I seldom ever missed a match there with the exception of the weekend that my grandson was born!!

We chose to move everything but the buildings to Manchester, KY when the range at Possum closed.  We even carried on the original Kentucky/Tennessee State Black Powder Championship for several years.

So when some of us say that the Spirit of Possum Trot lives on at Ponderosa Pines, you can take it to the bank!!

My happy place.  I consider Ponderosa Pines my home club.

Harold, a trip to Possum Trot these days would only be sad.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I can tell you for a fact that it’s the same bunch of folks! I’ve been shooting with some of them for the better part of twenty years! I was at the very first official match at Possum Trot and at the very last match as well.  I seldom ever missed a match there with the exception of the weekend that my grandson was born!!

We chose to move everything but the buildings to Manchester, KY when the range at Possum closed.  We even carried on the original Kentucky/Tennessee State Black Powder Championship for several years.

So when some of us say that the Spirit of Possum Trot lives on at Ponderosa Pines, you can take it to the bank!!

sounds fun , im going to discuss that trip with my wife , we are looking to move in the future as this states politics have finally gone too far , we are looking at that area of the country , along with a couple others , the grandkids are getting old enough to not need granny as much , 

I was honored to shoot at Possum Trot the last year they held cowboy matches.  Here is a video I found on YTube to get an idea of what it was about.  Check out the young svelte Stoney and Split rail at the end.  Good memories,  Charlie

Watab  Anywhere within a few hours of Wartrace would be great. Ask Razorback Red, he's loving it here.

Imis   and we often see old Possum Trot folks

I was able to shoot two matches at Possum Trot before they closed it down. Met a lot of people there that have become friends over the years. Ringer is one of them.

Lucky :D

I believe that Lucky RK was part of the legendary Posse 10!

Possum Trot was indeed a magical place, too bad they quit shooting cowboy!  Truly one of the finest cowboy action venues I ever shot.  I first met Smokin' Joe at Hooten Old Town, where I showed up a bit late for a long distance match and ended up knocking him out of the lead.  After that, we became good pards and shot together many times.  His dream and the development of Possum Trot was something he was very proud of to say the least!  Their annual black powder match was one of the biggest events of the year for me and I fondly remember the memorial match for him after his passing.  Geese, I still wear my "King of Kaboom" ball cap from time to time and look back on my times at Possum Trot as some of my best cowboy memories.  God bless you Smokin' Joe and I hope to see you on the other side when my time comes.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

On 6/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, Lucky R. K. said:

Here is another one.

Posse 9 & 10.JPG

THAT’S POSSE 10!

We shot together at the last Smokeout In The Hills that was held at POSSUM TROT!

Everyone on that posse, except for Buck D. Law shot Black Powder. Nearly half of us shot Frontiersman!  There are several state, national, and world champions depicted in this picture.

I was privileged to be the one who wrote the stages, did the final setting of the targets, and wrote the stage stories and starting lines.

POSSE TEN finished both days of shooting a full half hour before any other posse, and in certan company, all you have to do is mention “POSSE TEN” and you’ll start a memorable conversation amongst some truly fabulous friends!!

I feel the need to add that some of my best friends and favorite people are included in the picture above!!

• 1 month later...

I’m sitting here with five other members of the legendary POSSE TEN from Possum Trot’s last Smokeout!!

The idea has been put forth to, sometime in the near future, that we get as many as are willing, interested, able, to join up somewhere at a match that is conveniently located and do it again.

Split Rail, Fire ‘N’ Fallback, Lucky LeRoy, Stonecreek Drifter, Cleve, and I, Blackwater, are calling the rest of you out!! Doc Eels, Lucky RK, Appalachian Allen, R J Law, NOZ,

Duffield, Hatfield, and yeah, we’re even calling out Buck D. Law, so long as he will shoot Black Powder!!

The name of the cowboy in red in the middle of the bottom row has slipped all of our feeble minds, so cowboy, forgive our fading memories!!  Identify yourself and consider yourself invited as well!!

Y’all all chime in, give us any ideas that’ll help make it possible for you, and let’s make this happen!!!

Cheatin’ Charlie!  I’m sorry that we couldn’t identify you!! You’re the cowboy in red and me and Stoney and Split Rail were pulling our hair out trying to remember!!

C’MON Y’ALL!!

LET’S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

Ifn ye ever called yeowndangself a Cowboy shooter and lived east of the Mississippi, you really ain't

shot real 'Cowboy' till you went to Possum Trot.   Indeed, it was a hoot of a place.

The last time I shot there, somebody shooting BP set the woods on fire with their rifle loads.

It wasn't a big fire, but it took 3-4 folks to stomp it out before it could flame up big.

Once you walked thru the barn, its like you entered a time era from long ago.

And it just wasn't the venue, it was also great matches and competition.   Cabins to stay the night or

weekend,  porches to sit on and jaw with friends......... tell lies, whittle, etc.....

And ifn you're lucky, you just might see ole Blackwater hisowndangself.

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Cheatin’ Charlie!  I’m sorry that we couldn’t identify you!! You’re the cowboy in red and me and Stoney and Split Rail were pulling our hair out trying to remember!!

C’MON Y’ALL!!

LET’S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

Sorry that isn't me in the picture.  I was there that weekend but shot on another possie,  I shoot with Split Rail and Stoney every month at Tusco.  Glad I was able to make it.

I was there but not on possee 10. If yall figure it out let me know, I would show up, shootin JW and BP, for the pure fun of it all. Insane Clown loads, optional.

Imis

18 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m sitting here with five other members of the legendary POSSE TEN from Possum Trot’s last Smokeout!!

The idea has been put forth to, sometime in the near future, that we get as many as are willing, interested, able, to join up somewhere at a match that is conveniently located and do it again.

Split Rail, Fire ‘N’ Fallback, Lucky LeRoy, Stonecreek Drifter, Cleve, and I, Blackwater, are calling the rest of you out!! Doc Eels, Lucky RK, Appalachian Allen, R J Law, NOZ,

Duffield, Hatfield, and yeah, we’re even calling out Buck D. Law, so long as he will shoot Black Powder!!

The name of the cowboy in red in the middle of the bottom row has slipped all of our feeble minds, so cowboy, forgive our fading memories!!  Identify yourself and consider yourself invited as well!!

Y’all all chime in, give us any ideas that’ll help make it possible for you, and let’s make this happen!!!

I'm in.  How about we do this at next year's Crap Shoot?

Duffield

I would love to do it again if I am still here and able. Possum Trot was truly a magical place.

Lucky :D

WELL!  We finished up The Black Gold Shootout last night and I’m on my way home this morning!!

Another fantastic shoot put on by ol’ Copperhead and Cat and the family!

I’m sure Copperhead would be proud to have us all get together at the Crap Shoot for a “Posse Ten Reunion” if that’s the consensus on where.

Yeah! Imis, you’d be welcome!! Cheatin’ Charlie! YOU TOO!! It’s the Possum Trot SPIRIT and having been there that’s the tie that binds!!

We gotta figure out who our mystery cowboy is and invite him too!!

I’ll take responsibility for Hatfield! After all, he IS my son and  NOZ too!!  Maybe J Bar can help me with NOZ!!

Hatfield says he’s in if we can get it worked out!

Noz is likely to be a “No Show” due to health issues, but don’t completely count him out.

I figure Imis should be included if nobody objects and I defy anyone to object!

We’ve got eleven so far that would like to do it and several yet to be heard from!

STAY TUNED!!

I got a call from Noz just now.  He says that if we get it going, he’ll do everything he can to make it!! 

TWELVE!!

Somebody needs to get ahold of Apalachain Allen! I don’t have contact info for him!!

Doc Els, I can find!!

Talked to Doc, yesterday evening!!  He says he’s in if he’s able!!  

Korupt Karl was responsible for getting me in touch with Doc, so I have invited him to join us too!!

Karl was one of those responsible for getting Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter recognized as an official SASS category!

I think he’s a great addition to our group!!

Archived