SASS Wire Forum

Poor Brad

Brad was sick of the world, of Covid 19, Trump, Russian belligerence, China, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines.
Brad drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could. He got back into the car, wound up all of the windows, selected his favorite radio station, started the car.
Two days later, a worried neighbor peered through the garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services, and they broke in and pulled Brad from the car.
A little sip of water and surprisingly he was in perfect condition, but his Tesla had a dead battery....
Brad is a registered Democrat and lives Beverly Hills California...

You know I've wondered about that.

On cop shows, fairly frequently, you'll have somebody go in the garage and turn on the car and gas themselves.

But I thought that was part of the purpose of the catalytic converter. That it no longer put out those nasty exhaust emissions.

And they've been using catalytic converters for a long damn time.

But they still gas themselves on television.

Will it work?

By the by, Brad is sort of dumb. If you seal up your garage, so no fumes can get out and no fresh air can get in, you need to leave your window down so the fumes can get in and get you. If you're going to roll your window up, you need to run a garden hose from your exhaust pipe into the car and then roll the window up and block the gap at the top, so the fumes go through the hose into the car and gas you.

If you roll your window up, but you don't run the hose into the car, you're just making it take longer.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:
Brad was sick of the world, of Covid 19, Trump, Russian belligerence, China, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines.
Brad drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could. He got back into the car, wound up all of the windows, selected his favorite radio station, started the car.
Two days later, a worried neighbor peered through the garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services, and they broke in and pulled Brad from the car.
A little sip of water and surprisingly he was in perfect condition, but his Tesla had a dead battery....
Brad is a registered Democrat and lives Beverly Hills California...

:D

I’ve seen many suicides by co some by accident some by intentionally leaving the engine running. Fortunately newer cars will now shut off after a set time 

So you don't die from carbon monoxide poisoning, but the carbon dioxide displaces the oxygen and you suffocate?

Still just as dead, but a different cause?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

So you don't die from carbon monoxide poisoning, but the carbon dioxide displaces the oxygen and you suffocate?

Still just as dead, but a different cause?

Carbon monoxide is the deadly agent in auto exhaust. It binds to red blood cells faster than the oxygen molecule. 
Catalytic converters do not remove 100% of the CO. You’ll still die, but slower. 

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:
selected his favorite radio station, started the car.
[...] but his Tesla had a dead battery....

He probably had to permanently switch from AC to heating and turning on all ligths. I doubt that just listening to the radio tears down a (charged) Tesla battery within two days :P

3 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

He probably had to permanently switch from AC to heating and turning on all ligths. I doubt that just listening to the radio tears down a (charged) Tesla battery within two days :P

The car’s engine was running for two days! :P

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The car’s engine was running for two days! :P

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

But was it really running. The car wasn’t going anywhere.

Must have been like this:

For those who don't know this movie: The kids borrowed daddy's Ferrari without his knowing. Afterwards, they jacked the car up, put it in reverse and tried to spool back the odometer.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

But was it really running. The car wasn’t going anywhere.

The engine was running not the car....DUH!!

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The engine was running not the car....DUH!!

But the engines on an electric vehicles do not run when the vehicle is going nowhere. My daughter’s new gas vehicle even shuts off the engine at red lights; that really bothers my s-i-l.

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

But the engines on an electric vehicles do not run when the vehicle is going nowhere. My daughter’s new gas vehicle even shuts off the engine at red lights; that really bothers my s-i-l.

Well this is a joke!:P It's fiction!!

Electric cars have use electric motors not internal combustion engines.

7 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

California probably had another power outage preventing Brad from fully charging the battery pack.

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Electric cars have use electric motors not internal combustion engines.

And since they don't have any clutches the motor(s) only turn(s) when the wheels move and vice versa. So, you either have to lift the car from the ground, put it on a roller, or need a really large garage if you want to run the motor of an EV in the garage.

Archived