SASS Wire Forum

Cheap 308 bolt action? Ishapore Jungle Carbine

sassnetguy50

Seeking your experience/wisdom with a relatively modern rifle.

There is a hole in the safe for a  bolt action plinking 308.  An opportunity has presented for an Ishapore locally.  Would the Ishapore Enfield Jungle Carbine in 308 be a good option for a cheap, sights only plinker?  Any reason I shouldn't?

Recoil with Jungle carbine in .303 was one of the reasons the British did not adopt the gun as standard issue.  The second reason was that the originals had a wandering zero.  I don't know if that would still be an issue with an Ishapore built gun and supposedly there are some who have resolved the issue, but that would be something you would need to research.

I have a No 4 MK 2 in .303 and I really like the rifle.  If it were me I'd skip the Jungle carbine and try and find an Ishapore 2A1 rifle in .308.

@Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 pretty much said what I wanted to say. 

I found an Ishapore .308 Enfield at the last gun show I went to. It figures. I only find them when I have money set aside for something else. -_- 

This one was $750 and well used. I didn’t bother looking it over much past a cursory visual. The seller said it was in good shape operationally. Had I not had my desire set on a Ruger SFAR I may have given it a much more thorough inspection. 

Edit: This one was not a Jungle Carbine. 

Howdy,

With the power and reach of a 308, why limit it to iron sights?

Seems like a decent little 10x or so would make for a much more useful rifle.

And if you want a carbine isnt the 30 cal M1 just made for that?

Best

CR

just to be clear , ishapore never made the no5 rifle , only BSA and Fazakerly made them , in that 45 - 47 era , only thing ishapore did was "refurbs" of these rifles , scrubbed and remarked - pretty much everything they ever touched , they did make the no1 rifles [mk3 and mk3* as they marked them ] 

also no no5 rifles were ever made in 308 only 303 , 

that said , they did produce the 2A and 2A1 rifles , in 762x51 - they were all made as no 1 pattern rifles but a lot of them were cut down to that "JUNGLE CARBINE" look in aftermarket use , thats most likely what you have , 

there is nothing wrong with the rifles , i had both the 2A and 2A1 in past life and both were fun shooting rifles , id not expect great accuracy from it but who knows ? you might get lucky , id not pay more than about $200-250 if it looks real nice , it will be a great plinker 

@Chili Ron @Rex M Rugers #6621

This would be a no scope plinker on a 47-200yd range.  I have a scoped rifle already.  No, I'm not specifically looking for a military or historical piece.  Yes, it must have sights.

@watab kid I believe this started as a 2A1 in 1966, was converted later by Navy Arms who did batches of "jungle carbine" conversions.  I passed and the seller since sold it to someone else.   Maybe I'll buy a Rand 1911 A1 from him instead.

Thank you

21 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Chili Ron @Rex M Rugers #6621

This would be a no scope plinker on a 47-200yd range.  I have a scoped rifle already.  No, I'm not specifically looking for a military or historical piece.  Yes, it must have sights.

@watab kid I believe this started as a 2A1 in 1966, was converted later by Navy Arms who did batches of "jungle carbine" conversions.  I passed and the seller since sold it to someone else.   Maybe I'll buy a Rand 1911 A1 from him instead.

Thank you

it would have been interesting to know your thoughts on it , they did nice conversions and the 2A1 was a decent rifle , i pretty much knew what you were looking at wnen you said 308 [762x51] they produced them as battle rifles so the accuracy would be minute of man but some performed very well , i dont think you missed a lot but as a plinker it would have done a great job , i owned about 10 indian made of refurbed rifles over the years - none of them were anything but battle rifles/plinkers , i owned a bayonet for all of them those were pretty well made or refurbed items , it is a bit of the enfield history that we should remember if you are a collector , 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

For what you would spend on one of the old military rifles , you could buy a Ruger American and have a neat plinker without the drawbacks of the old Milsurps.

And easy to scope.

Rex :D

I bought mine 20 years ago.  I believe it was under $300, maybe $345 with tax and ffl fee.  

I grew up shooting SMLEs and have owned about two dozen.  A decent gun until one experiences rimrock with .303 Brit cartridge.  

I would not shoot one in .308.  That rear locking bolt does not give me a safe feeling with some of the .308 loads out there.  That rear locking bolt is a bit spongy so the shoulder sets back on the case when heavy loads are used.

Archived