SASS Wire Forum

Here I go again - wish me luck

Charlie T Waite

Went to see hand surgeon - he said the results of the peripheral neuropathy testing I received from the VA Hospital in Fargo show a Very abnormal EMG and NCV... I have extremely severe carpal tunnel in both hands with multiple trigger finger lock-up on each. He told me to have 1 trigger finger lock-up is common but to have multiple trigger finger lock-up (3-4) per hand is rare. Since the right hand is the worse I will have my wrist & 4 fingers of that hand operated on Friday February 10th.  Depending on recovery, about 8-10 weeks later I will be back to have the same thing done on the left hand. Of course they have to do all this before they will do the other shoulder.  Isn't growing older wonderful.  You see My mind says I'm in my 20's but my body says "yeah, you wish!"  In theory this is supposed to relieve the pain & lock-up immediately, then just work through the stiffness for the next 3months.  That is if the surgeon is correct.

Yee Haw
Charlie

Charlie,

Your going to have the acquaintence of the Minister of Pain and Torture.  Better known as a Physical Therapist.  Do everything your Therapist tells you to do religiously.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Charlie,

Your going to have the acquaintence of the Minister of Pain and Torture.  Better known as a Physical Therapist.  Do everything your Therapist tells you to do religiously.

after already going through knee & reverse shoulder replacements I know what they are going to say, same thing as always - slow it down & quit pushing yourself so hard...:rolleyes:...:P...:lol:

Charlie, sounds like you and I have similar physical characteristics. We broke ourselves a few times. ;)

I have had wrist surgeries on both hands. Please be patient with rehab. When doctors say that you’ll be as good as new I think they mean ‘as good as remanufactured.’

You will probably not have decent dexterity for some time. By that I mean many months. But, you will have less pain and that is a good thing. 
I recommend you purchase some of the little devices that the therapist uses for your own use at home. I had my surgeries 2 and 3 years ago and I still have to do hand exercises to keep my hands limber. 

I hope and pray your surgeries and recoveries go well. 

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Charlie, sounds like you and I have similar physical characteristics. We broke ourselves a few times. ;)

I have had wrist surgeries on both hands. Please be patient with rehab. When doctors say that you’ll be as good as new I think they mean ‘as good as remanufactured.’

You will probably not have decent dexterity for some time. By that I mean many months. But, you will have less pain and that is a good thing. 
I recommend you purchase some of the little devices that the therapist uses for your own use at home. I had my surgeries 2 and 3 years ago and I still have to do hand exercises to keep my hands limber. 

I hope and pray your surgeries and recoveries go well. 

Well Pat, between Military & Law-enforcement I guess you could say I broke myself on a few occasions...:unsure:  He wants to do the hands 8 weeks apart...Hmmm... I'll have to see how the 1st one goes.  I still have to do things to keep my knee & shoulder limber so what are a couple of hands added to the mix...:rolleyes:

I had the surgery on one of my fingers on the right hand for that. Takes longer for the incision to heal than the internal part of the hand. Second finger done on that hand I elected to go for the shot even though they said it might not last, It took effect almost right away but came back  a little a few times for the first couple of years but has been good since.

kR

Prayers up Charlie for a successful surgery and steady recovery. Sounds like you have some experience, hopefully that will help. 

Doctor said the surgery went well have surgical pain and a lot of numbness. That feels like it’s swollen. anything beyond that right now I wouldn’t know. Got something to eat & on the way home now.

We were scheduled to close today. After surgery, I received notice on my phone that the title co had received everything by 1:40 PM - surgery went well & "We are closed..." Yee Haw"

image.png.17c9c2719e3498b30374a25ea3ce6185.png

Congratulations on your surgery and getting your own piece of Heaven while still on Earth!

Let's see photos. What are your plans?

Where will you put your range?

How about camping for your close friends and visitors from Texas??  :)

Read that first line.

"We were scheduled to close today. After surgery"

I'm thinking, "Surgery? If they cut him open, I would hope they closed". :P

i read these threads in the hope of finding sime kind of solutions , 

i suffer from Reynolds as well as arthritis - neither are new , had them for years , but both have gotten progressively worse in recent years , 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

i read these threads in the hope of finding sime kind of solutions , 

i suffer from Reynolds as well as arthritis - neither are new , had them for years , but both have gotten progressively worse in recent years , 

If I may, what is Reynolds?

Tried a web search with no luck. Presuming it's not the urge to wrap one's head in tin foil.:lol:

2 days out - pain from locking & pins/needles are gone - surgical pain is a bit less.  Lots of swelling so hard to move finger but like I said, when I do it is more pain from the surgery (incision area).  Lots of bruising of the fingers as well.  Been working on opening & closing hand.  Will update more I a week.  Thanks for support.

Keep up the good work! Apparently the incisions like to remind us of what we went through! Ellie is still extremely tender and it's been 2 months next week.

Prayers up for continued healing.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

If I may, what is Reynolds?

Tried a web search with no luck. Presuming it's not the urge to wrap one's head in tin foil.:lol:

its a syndrome that is hereditary , extremities react to cold and clenching , fingers and toes turn white , loose feeling  [go to sleep like feeling] then as the blood returns you get a burning/tingling feeling , not at all pleasant , used to only bother me when it was winter and when i grasped something very cold or overgripped the steering wheel , now it happens midsummer and with very little griping -  fishing pole and handguns etc , may eventually affect my shooting abilities to the point of having to quit , hopefully a ways down the road , 

That I do not have that & I hope you get some relief WK.  What I have is extremely severe carpal tunnel & trigger finger syndrome that locked 4 fingers on each hand & is very painful to open the hand & unpleasant with pins/needles feeling from the CT.  I go in on the 20th to get stitches removed and then work on my dexterity for the next 6-8 weeks then they want to do the other hand because of the same issues.  I still want to see how this goes before I commit to the other hand being done.  So I will know in 6 -8 weeks how this is going.  Guess I just have to be patient until the swelling goes down & the surgical pain eases a bit.

Quick update - Got Stitches out today - glad that's done still some soreness from surgery but great deal of relief from trigger finger pain in 4 fingers & no locking as well as relief from the carpal tunnel's painful pins & needles. Will keep working it with followup 3-30. Oh & for Pat Riot - So Far So Good - Thanks

Archived