SASS Wire Forum

Recommendation for Short Stroke and Action Job on a 73

I have a Henry, 2 66s and a 73.   All of them are, as far as I know, stock.

But I just picked up a new 73 that I am seriously considering having short stroked and perhaps slicked up a little as well.  I have obviously never had this done before, and would like some recommendations as to how to go about it/who to have it done by.

Here's a pic of the rifle I am thinking of doing this to.  You'll see why.  :)

73 Mares Leg.jpg

@Rancho Roy makes a plug using the rim of a bullet case. Looks pretty cool.

I bought two 73’s from @Lefty Wheelerthe year before last. He does a great job and provides extremely detailed instructions on cleaning maintenance and adjustments. He uses Cowboy and Indians 5th Gen shortstrokes which in my opinion are rock solid (we have four 73’s with them installed).

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Another question...

I removed the lever lock thingee cuz it was sorta in the way of the lever.  Anyway, does anyone make a "plug" replacement you can drop in the big ugly hole left by taking it out?   (Not necessary of course, but worth considering.)a

A chicago screw and a couple of washers is cheap and fits perfect. 

Cody Conager did mine and I have been very happy with it.  Long Hunter is very well respected as is Cowboy and Indians store.  You'll get about a dozen or so recommendations and most of them will give you good results.  

I just did a Henry & '73 with the PGW Super Short Stroke Kit and a C45S carrier.  I'd previously installed a set of Whisper Springs in each along with their lightened trigger block spring.  It was pretty simple and the one question I needed answered, they were quite responsive to give me the needed info.  I can't say that I'm any faster or smoother with the modified rifles, but I sure feel smoother.

That thing begs to be spin-cocked.    I guess short stroking it would make that easier, too.  '73 design should keep it from throwing out the cartridge.  That's the problem with all your Lightnings, you can't spin cock them. :lol:

31 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That thing begs to be spin-cocked.    I guess short stroking it would make that easier, too.  '73 design should keep it from throwing out the cartridge.  That's the problem with all your Lightnings, you can't spin cock them. :lol:

You think so?  I wouldn't dream of trying that.  

9 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You think so?  I wouldn't dream of trying that.  

I personally would not do it with live ammo, but playing with dummies?  Heck yeah!

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When you mentioned it wouldn’t throw out a round I took that to mean loaded. If someone did that at a match I would not react well!

I don't think anyone would react well!  A brand new shooter showed up at a local club 20 years ago, dressed to the nines, and spun a pistol into his holster after shooting the first stage.  He was not on my posse but I heard they jumped on him.  And we also never saw him again!

5 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

At 16", the barrel is too long for spinning.  :)   Also, the balance is not quite right.  

On the other hand, 

MaresLegRioBravoLoop.thumb.jpg.cdbc33e0d5c132342b04a82acbb5d7c3.jpg

this thing with the 12" barrel doe spin quite nicely.   I tried with snap caps, and the faux cartridge dribbled across the floor.  :)

Now, this...

1815082774_LightningBolt.thumb.JPG.ef8443f8a25ee85876f63fa9413ef92d.JPG

is not spinnable.  

Nor is this...

1356263379_TerminatorShotgun.thumb.JPG.936f152fa267a7f9c69b0bfc7901ece7.JPG

If I could figure out how to modify the lever, I would do so for visual reasons.   But the 18" barrel would make me not want to try to spin it either.  :)

I guess your arms are shorter than mine (mine are long for my height).  My 16" '73 clears my armpit by 2"  :)

I once watched an average size guy who did a Rifleman impression spin a 20" Chiappa big loop carbine.

20 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I guess your arms are shorter than mine (mine are long for my height).  My 16" '73 clears my armpit by 2"  :)

I once watched an average size guy who did a Rifleman impression spin a 20" Chiappa big loop carbine.

This....

1665555562_BigLoop92.thumb.JPG.cb9b27937eab55de0d691e8db9f240c8.JPG

...is a real Winchester and has a 17.5" barrel.   When I bought it, I spun it.   I "impressed" myself, so I spun it again.   Front sight caught my shirt ripped it open, and left a scratch across my chest.  (No scar)   I've never tried to spin it again!

7 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

This is a problem?

Lightings.thumb.JPG.e71915ca6e1491d4bf30320a3dea4870.JPG

On 1/7/2023 at 9:12 PM, Wild Eagle said:

Cody Conager did mine and I have been very happy with it.  Long Hunter is very well respected as is Cowboy and Indians store.  You'll get about a dozen or so recommendations and most of them will give you good results.  

I always thought the same on Long Hunter, and I maybe the only one. I bought a short stroke 73 carbine from him. The front sight kept moving and called since I couldn't tighten screw anymore. He said to use the original front sight screw which helped, but front sight still would move sideways. This caused the forearm to develop a small crack. I should have returned it, but lotsa money spent on a large match didn't give me opportunity so a local gunsmith took care of problem. After informing Long Hunter of problem and fix I was advised by him to never seek him out again for anything.  I guess that's how to handle complaints and problems.  

I did have him years before do a slick job on a Marlin which was also a disappointment in that after getting it back, each ejected shell hung up jamming rifle. I told him the ejector wasn't strong enough he had made and please send another. Said he had no more. Had to take to another gunsmith to have an ejector profiled that worked great. All the problems make me wonder if his work is double checked before shipping out?  Again, it maybe just me and my 2 items he worked on. But with my problems, I couldn't recommend Long Hunter.

My recommendation is Cody

14 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This....

1665555562_BigLoop92.thumb.JPG.cb9b27937eab55de0d691e8db9f240c8.JPG

...is a real Winchester and has a 17.5" barrel.   When I bought it, I spun it.   I "impressed" myself, so I spun it again.   Front sight caught my shirt ripped it open, and left a scratch across my chest.  (No scar)   I've never tried to spin it again!

That's because you don't have long arms like Chuck Connors.  I don't recall exactly, but there was a "stop" attached or machined into his rifles that prevented the cartridge from falling out when the rifle was spin cocked.  John Wayne could spin cock his '92, but in later years the barrel was shortened.

3 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

That's because you don't have long arms like Chuck Connors.  I don't recall exactly, but there was a "stop" attached or machined into his rifles that prevented the cartridge from falling out when the rifle was spin cocked.  John Wayne could spin cock his '92, but in later years the barrel was shortened.

Connors and Wayne were both over 6' tall, with correspondingly long arms.   They also were using short barrel rifles, 14 or 15 inches as I recall.

Me, I'm 5'8"  :)

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Connors and Wayne were both over 6' tall, with correspondingly long arms.   They also were using short barrel rifles, 14 or 15 inches as I recall.

Me, I'm 5'8"  :)

I was involved with replacing a rifle along with the loop for Chuck Connors since he no longer owned any of the shows rifles and used it on his tours. They were Winchester Model 92, 44-40 with special made loop with screw for rapid firing of blanks. The barrel lenght were same size as original on show, 20 inch barrels.

I still have an autographed photo send by Chuck along with his 2 sons thanking me for the rifle.

18 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Not for SASS shooting, Right?

For speed shooting, whatever you gain in shortened stroke will be lost in the loop size. 

What am I missing here?

Shouldering a lever action rifle give you more "leverage" to work the lever.   When you give a lever gun the "mares leg" treatment, you can't shoulder it anymore, so smoothing it out and making it "easier" to work the lever is an attractive thing to do.

Archived