SASS Wire Forum

Single selectable trigger

Hoss

on another thread I saw a guy who liked being able to select which barrel to shoot first. I could understand it with a choked shotgun shooting birds, but I see no real reason to shoot one or the other in our game. 

What barrel do you shoot first, and why?

when I first got my SKB it still had the inertial trigger,  so I shot right barrel first so I could easily push the button if I had too. Now that it’s mechanical (thanks Fast Eddie!) I dont think it really matters. 

Left barrel is first.  I started shooting with a finger on both triggers, one finger usually would get pinched hard.  To break my habit I went with index finger on the rear trigger ( left barrel) BOOM!  Then move finger to right trigger.

My SKB’s were inertial and switchable  when I first got them. Johnny Meadows converted them to mechanical and they are now set to fire right barrel first. Since I never felt the need to pick which barrel went off first in the original configuration I haven’t worried about it now that they are mechanical either. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I have a Stoeger SxS with double triggers, and both barrels have IC chokes. I can honestly tell you that I have no idea which barrel I shoot first. Which ever one it is is by pure muscle memory in my case.

Not a lot of flying clays anymore but we have a stage that has a thrower and the bird flies right to left.  Could make a difference to a shooter in that situation.  I shoot right barrel first.

I shoot left first. A Stoeger on which I reversed the triggers. Finger then slides right back onto the right trigger. Both barrels chocked IC.

On my SKB's it's right barrel first.  In case I fumble a shell and only end up with one in my hand as I load, I know to put it in the right.  It's also the barrel I focus on while loading.

Not sure I could find the barrel selector efficiently on the clock. 

Totes

The only time "which barrel first" would matter is in Live Bird shooting or an actual Clay Bird game when the barrels have different chokes.  If yer gun is a coach gun with cylinder bores, "which barrel first" is meaningless.  Same same if the barrels are choked IC/IC.  Just doesn't make a difference with Coach Guns.

I am shooting an uncut SKB with 26" barrels.  The right barrel is Improved cyl, and the left barrel is modified.  My gun still has the original inertial trigger, which on occasion has failed to reset to the other barrel if I don't firmly seat the stock to my shoulder when shooting light loads.  I normally keep the  selector pushed to the right so that if the trigger doesn't switch to the left barrel after the first shot, I can quickly push the selector to the left with my trigger finger and shoot the second barrel.

There has only been one instance where I have opted to have the left/tighter choked barrel shoot first.  The first target was a falling plate that activated a thrower that popped a clay pigeon straight up in the air.  At the target distance of approx. 10 yards, it probably didn't make a significant difference, but why not give yourself an advantage if available? 

I'm the one who said I liked the selectable trigger on my CZ.

I selected the left barrel to shoot first for reasons only known to me :ph34r:

Archived