SASS Wire Forum

Have you ever seen this?

Chief Rick

I don't know what to call it.  This was a C45S loaded with a 130 gr Barnstormer.

First stage of the day.  It almost sounded like a squib, but the rest of the bullet did hit the target.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a732a682d64ec99b7fb6ffed5aba730.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6fd4b9b2643c32808dd77934d70efd98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b79ac6f19d788cd7b5c94352006ccfa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b2b9166db37528af2153c499f8e6129.jpeg

Wow, no I've never seen anything like that. Kind of scary that the center blew out.

That's a healthy crimp if the lead walls of the concave base stayed crimped in the case.  As the 130 Barnstormer is a hollow base bullet, no?

15 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

No.  It's like the lead "tore" at the crimping groove.

That's pretty amazing and at the same time sorta scary.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

That's a healthy crimp if the lead walls of the concave base stayed crimped in the case.  As the 130 Barnstormer is a hollow base bullet, no?

Yes, it's a hollow base.

And yes, I believe it's a healthy crimp.  I don't believe it's too much, though.  I've been loading with this crimp for several thousand rounds and this has never happened.

I'm sure it is entirely unexpected.  I sure wouldn't have!  Could be a defective casting.  It's not like those haven't happened on occasion.

It looks like a cold casting to me. I have seen bullets made from a cold mold in which the lead looks like a stack of pancakes with little real adhesion between the layers.

2 minutes ago, Cholla said:

It looks like a cold casting to me. I have seen bullets made from a cold mold in which the lead looks like a stack of pancakes with little real adhesion between the layers.

I was thinking the same thing. The lead is too smooth to have been torn apart. 

If I remember correctly, the BARNSTORMER bullet was the 130 grain, reversed hollow point.   That might

help explain what might have happened.

On the other hand, I had a similar experience about 25 years ago with a 1/2 jacketed .357.

The lead separated from the jacket upon firing and exited the barrel..... BUT, the jacket hung up

between the front of the cylinder and forcing cone, which locked up my revolver.

..........Widder

6 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If I remember correctly, the BARNSTORMER bullet was the 130 grain, reversed hollow point.   That might

help explain what might have happened.

On the other hand, I had a similar experience about 25 years ago with a 1/2 jacketed .357.

The lead separated from the jacket upon firing and exited the barrel..... BUT, the jacket hung up

between the front of the cylinder and forcing cone, which locked up my revolver.

..........Widder

Nothing hung up.  What you don't see went down the barrel and hit the target.

I've never had a problem with the Barnstormers and fully intend to keep shooting them.

Yeah I’ve seen that before. Matter of fact, happened yesterday to a shooter on my posse. That shooter did look a lot like you. :D:D

I am glad everything worked its way out. 

La Sombra

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yepper.  Cold Cast from a Cold Mold.  Happens to be my favorite bullet.

Do you cast your own? I did a brief search for a mold and could not find one.

8 hours ago, Cholla said:

Do you cast your own? I did a brief search for a mold and could not find one.

Shootin Fox has the mold from Adirondack Jack,

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Shootin Fox has the mold from Adirondack Jack,

Does he sell the mold or just the bullets?

12 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Nothing hung up.  What you don't see went down the barrel and hit the target.

I've never had a problem with the Barnstormers and fully intend to keep shooting them.

My usage of the words "hung up" might have been misleading.   What I meant to convey was that the jacket

'stuck' between the cylinder and forcing cone of the barrel.   It locked up the pistol.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

If that was a cold cast, I do not see how. I preheat the mold and the lead is around 750. This is made on a master caster for consistency. Inhave loaded and shot thousands and never seen this before. 

Sometimes, "stuff" happens.  I'm not trying in any way to disparage your casting or bullets.  As I said earlier, I fully intend to keep using them.  I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

Archived