SASS Wire Forum

Judge hits 62!!

Blackwater 53393

Leading off the first inning.  Towering fly ball to left field on a 2-1 count.

New American League Home Run Record!!

Glad it was him that did it, he’s a good young man. 

Just to clarify, Roger Maris‘ record was also steroid free. The NL record is the one that’s tainted by the “steroid boys”:angry:

Interesting story about Aaron Judge, he was adopted as an infant and says he has no desire to find his biological parents. It's listed as a "closed" adoption. He said, "I have one set of parents who loved me and raised me with love". He's a good dude!

I just read that Judge did not have the record breaking ball, the man who caught it still had it. Here's what Judge had to say about it. :)

“I don’t know where it’s at,” he said. “We’ll see what happens with that. It would be great to get it back, but that’s a souvenir for a fan. He made a great catch out there, and they’ve got every right to it.”

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I just read that Judge did not have the record breaking ball, the man who caught it still had it. Here's what Judge had to say about it. :)

“I don’t know where it’s at,” he said. “We’ll see what happens with that. It would be great to get it back, but that’s a souvenir for a fan. He made a great catch out there, and they’ve got every right to it.”

They reported he has already been offered  2 million for it! 

It should be noted tha Gerrit Cole set the Yankees’ single season strike out record last night as well!  In an era when pitchers seldom go more than six or seven innings, he broke a record that was set when relief pitchers were used sparingly and starters were often throwing complete games!

24 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I don't know much about baseball. But for me Ruth is and will always be the single season record holder. 60 in fewer total games for the season. Bonds shouldn't even be listed.

Roger Maris broke Babes record in 154 games as well. 
It took Judge 159 games to tie 161 to break it. 

15 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Highest single season without steroids.  The others should be removed.

I agree but Roger Maris hit 61 in 154 games. Doesn’t that count for something? If MLB wasn’t such a bunch of money hungry twits they would have left it at 154 games!

On 10/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Roger Maris broke Babes record in 154 games as well. 
It took Judge 159 games to tie 161 to break it. 

Maris was 162 games.   That's why he got the controversial asterisk.   Babe Ruth was 154 games.   Maris hit his 61st homer in game 162 (last game of the season).

So Judge beat Maris fair and square.    

30 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

Maris was 162 games.   That's why he got the controversial asterisk.   Babe Ruth was 154 games.   Maris hit his 61st homer in game 162 (last game of the season).

By golly you’re right. That was the first year that MLB went to 162 games. My bad!!:blush:

When Ruth, Maris and Aaron set their home run records, did the pitchers pitch around the them like they do now?

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

When Ruth, Maris and Aaron set their home run records, did the pitchers pitch around the them like they do now?

Probably! 

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

Until just recently, if you wanted to intentionally walk a batter, you still had to throw at least four pitches!! In Aaron Judge’s case, particularly this year, all a pitcher or manager had to do was indicate that they wanted to walk the batter and the player was awarded first base.

More than one attempt to walk a batter, before the free pass rule, ended in a base hit.  My own take on the new intentional walk is that the batter’s appearance at the plate should be scored as a hit.  This would reward the batter and would count in the pitcher’s stats as well!!

As a footnote, on at least one occasion, (and probably several more) when Don Drysdale was told to walk a batter, he proceeded to nail the batter with a pitch. When confronted by his manager, he replied that he didn’t see any point in wasting three more pitches.

6 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

But, given the season length, Babe Ruth is still the king.

22 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

But, given the season length, Babe Ruth is still the king.

If I remember correctly the year that the Babe hit 27 home runs was also a record and it was more than any team hit that year. The Babe will always be the King!

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If I remember correctly the year that the Babe hit 27 home runs was also a record and it was more than any team hit that year. The Babe will always be the King!

He ended up setting the record at 60.  Roger Maris hit 61 in 1961, but by then the season was longer and he did it in more games than Babe Ruth.  Everyone else, including Judge, took more games than Ruth to reach 60...and everyone except for Judge used steroids to do it.  Ruth is still king.

50 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Everyone else, including Judge, took more games than Ruth to reach 60...and everyone except for Judge used steroids to do it.  Ruth is still king.

Not quite right, Bonds hit his 60th homer in game 141 in 2001.  McGwire also hit his 60th in game 141 in 1998.   Sammy Sosa hit his 60th in 149 games in 1998, and in 148 games in 1999.   Aaron Judge hit his 60th in game 147 games this year.   Babe Ruth hit his 60th in game 154 in 1927.

https://radicalbaseball.blogspot.com/2017/06/60-home-runs-in-154-games-ruth-yes.html

27 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

Not quite right, Bonds hit his 60th homer in game 141 in 2001.  McGwire also hit his 60th in game 141 in 1998.   Sammy Sosa hit his 60th in 149 games in 1998, and in 148 games in 1999.   Aaron Judge hit his 60th in game 147 games this year.   Babe Ruth hit his 60th in game 154 in 1927.

https://radicalbaseball.blogspot.com/2017/06/60-home-runs-in-154-games-ruth-yes.html

Interesting!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Interesting!

What really caught my eye was how few games and plate appearances Judge had this year.      Seeing all that, I'd say he legitimately owns the record.    He beats Ruth on fastest to 60, beats Maris on fasted to 61, and is the leader amongst the non-steroid players.   Assuming he's clean of course.

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

What really caught my eye was how few games and plate appearances Judge had this year.      Seeing all that, I'd say he legitimately owns the record.    He beats Ruth on fastest to 60, beats Maris on fasted to 61, and is the leader amongst the non-steroid players.   Assuming he's clean of course.

You’re right he was out on the injured list for awhile this year. He’s a great player!!

On 10/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, Bart Slade said:

You're not following the conversation, pard.  Every single person you mentioned (except Judge) did it with steroids.  They are null and void in my book.  Ruth is king.

Archived