SASS Wire Forum

PSA ak47 verses comm bloc

Trigger Mike

I used to own a Yugoslavia under folder ak47 as well as a WASR and norinco.  All were reliable but none were accurate.   As I get older I sell inaccurate guns .  

Palmetto state Armory in South Carolina makes their version of the ak series.  Is theirs more accurate than the commie made ones?  Are they reliable?

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I used to own a Yugoslavia under folder ak47 as well as a WASR and norinco.  All were reliable but none were accurate.   As I get older I sell inaccurate guns .  

Palmetto state Armory in South Carolina makes their version of the ak series.  Is theirs more accurate than the commie made ones?  Are they reliable?

I know allot of it depends on the barrel. Some of the PSA guns had FN barrels on them I’ve seen internet reports they shot pretty good . I’ve got a DDI “no longer made” 47 and 74 that both have green mountain barrels on them and they will both do about 1.5” at 100 with ammo they like . To me the heart of the AK accuracy problems is junk barrels and inconsistent ammo . I’m pretty sure DDI actually got bought out by PSA for their tooling. I had a waser with a visibly bad barrel that was lucky to consistently hold 6” at 100 . 
If you want a really nice AK contact this guy 

https://howtobuyanak47.com/2016/11/08/jim-fuller-ak-buyer-guide/

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

You Tube test AK47 vs AR15 for accuracy. In slow motion, rapid fire,  the AK barrel was whipping and accuracy was crap. The AR barrel showed no whipping and was accurate as could be.

AK cheap, barrels.

All barrels “whip” it’s just to what extent . Browning used to sell there boss adjuster. I shot quite a few different ones and they actually worked . There’s lots of theories on barrel harmonics, quite a few old time gunsmiths told me you didn’t want to alter the step pattern on the German 98 Mausers if you were leaving the stock bbl on it when sporterizing it . They claimed the Germans had the harmonics right for that caliber/weight/length bbl . 

No such thing as a tack driving AK. Or an SKS. Massed fire has always been Russian doctrine. If they were accurate, snipers would use them.

I can hit 10” steel plates at 50 yds with mine. 75 yds on a good day. That’s about it.

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

One source of the AK's inaccuracy is the very short sight radius.  A side optic mount & optic fixes that & better yet use an ACU-TEK Arms bull barrel assembly.  Besides the stiffer barrel it has a proprietary front trunnion w/Pic-Rail.

Also, why would you use an AK when you want precision?   AR's are inherently more accurate and mag changes are faster due to the bolt hold open and bolt release. 

my buddies and I refer to MOA when speaking of AR variants ( 1" at 100 yds)

and  MOPP  minute of pie plates when it comes to AK's

sorry but I shy away from AKs as too many folks tried to kill me with one!

You just have to accept it for what it is . When built with good parts they are as accurate as allot of 30-30 marlins and winchesters . It’s just the majority of examples out there aren’t plus have the disadvantage of very inconsistent ammo. AK has always been more about quantity than quality. But a good AK with some good ammo would surprise allot of people. Go look at AK operators union on YouTube, he’s always testing something and shows what a AK is capable of 

I had a Norinco AK that was pretty accurate for an AK with Russian ammo. It was soda can accurate. 
I had an SKS that shot 1 MOA with quality hunting ammo. 

Unless you plan to buy non-Russian ammo an AK might not be a good investment if you plan on shooting it cheap. Just a thought. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Unless you plan to buy non-Russian ammo an AK might not be a good investment if you plan on shooting it cheap. Just a thought. 

The positive I see in this is the shortage of AK ammo since it seems we will be cut off from all Russian ammo sooner rather than later now is that maybe some companies that produce quality ammo , might start making some for the AK 47/74 . 
I never had the desire to reload for a AK because they are so hard on brass and fling the mt’s a country mile , but I have a friend who has , and with the right ammo he’s got some really good groups out of some AK’s and SKS’s . When tweaked right just about anything can be made to shoot well . Before the free float handguard AR’s were much less accurate, shoot some comparable price point Russian ammo out of a accurate AR and it usually isn’t that accurate anymore .

Years and years ago, maybe even years before that, I bought a Bulgarian Arsenal brand AK. Forged receiver and Styer barrel. It was supposed to be accurate, but I never got to shoot it. Sold it for a profit though.

I think they still make em, might want to investigate that avenue. 

You might want to look at the IWI Galil Ace, its an updated version of the IMI Galil. They available in 7.62x39, 5.56 and 7.62x51 and I heard they are good shooters. After that if your looking for accuracy out of an AK the Valmet M62s, M76s and the original IMI Galil are probably your best options, unfortunately they are pretty collectable and expensive. I got lucky back in the early 90s and picked up a Valmet M62s before they became popular with collectors. I still need to find a bayonet for it. 

Archived