SASS Wire Forum

Customer Service Word Salad

I had an "interesting" experience at the Apple Store today. I was killing time while my wife was getting her hair done, so I thought I'd fill the time there browsing the latest gadgets. Even though there is no city, county or state requirement for Covid masks, this store does. Fine, they provide them for free. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

Whilst browsing, a sales associate approaches me and asks if he can help me. I said no thanks, I'm just browsing. He then informs me that "our store model doesn't allow browsing". Basically, unless I agreed to have one of their "associates" hovering next to my ear, I wasn't welcome in the store. Excuse me? I've been in this store many times before and this is the first time anyone has said that. Stunned, I left the store. Still fuming awhile later, I called and asked to speak to the store manager. Turns out the guy who got on the phone was the same 25 year old doofus I had spoken to in the store. When asked if he was the store manager, he didn't answer directly but identified himself as a "leader" and I could talk to him.

When I asked him what "store model" meant and why browsing wasn't allowed, he launched into this word salad worthy of Kamala Harris and the rest of the current administration. He was sure to insert buzzwords & phrases like "Covid, our policy, current store model, Covid, depending on store location, Covid, understaffed, Covid, our policy" etc. etc. The problem was all of his words weren't arranged in any coherent fashion. I cut off his monologue as it was just one run-on jumble and started to pick apart his "explanation". He was incapable of addressing any of my points and again launched into an identical word salad. I cut him off again and just said I would never set foot in the store again. I know the smug little so-and-so didn't understand or give a rip, but it made me feel better.

As I sit here typing this, I'm still aghast that this is considered communication, much less customer relations. The only message I can parse from the encounter is, "Covid is our policy".

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe you should contact his district manager (or whatever the next rung up the corporate ladder is).

I thought about that Joe. But then I realized this kid is just a worker bee doing a really bad job of parroting what he’s been told by higher ups. I think the story would largely be the same from them and do nothing but aggravate me further. Organizing my dock drawer now seems like a more productive use of time. 

Besides, venting on this forum has already made me feel better.  ^_^

So we were in the Tacoma mall last weekend and my boys wanted to go into Apple store we had been in before many times.  Same thing…they don’t allow shopping or browsing unless you had an appointment.  Wife and I felt the same…like what the hell are you a store for then?  

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe you should contact his district manager (or whatever the next rung up the corporate ladder is).

Yep.  Everybody works for somebody. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The supreme “leader”

:lol:

Probably a corporate-driven blend of ensuring all stores meet all restrictions in all states, with a healthy dose of trying to keep the merchandise from being redistributed in the name of social justice.

You might be visiting a store in Kansas, but your local stores are being treated the same as if they are in New York or California.

The kid obviously can't think for himself. The kid is obviously a damned idiot and will be a totally non productive member of society. What do you do with that?

After hearing his opening monolog I might have told him "six feet!'. Stay 6' away from me!" And then when he continued his verbal idiocy I would have told him "I can't hear you take your mask off" just just to see where that would have gone. :D

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Exactly, Joe nailed it! Go up the corporate ladder and you may actually speak to someone coherent. 

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They're the ones who told the kid he had to behave the way he did.

The bigger question, is the kid being trained that way as result of the upper elements of management wanting a single policy nationwide or the upper elements of management realizing that the current products of our public school system are not able to think for themselves and they have to use a "canned" message for the majority of their retail worker bees?

Archived