SASS Wire Forum

Not How It's Done

Subdeacon Joe

I've been trying to figure out what happened. He had the bolt open - he was holding it back. His other hand was nowhere near the trigger. When he pulled the bolt back you can see a cartridge fall to the ground. There should have been nothing in there to go boom.

I'm confused.

This is what the blurb says on the original YouTube post.

This an ISAF soldier on Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan, who upon clearing his MG3 machine gun, didn't do so in textbook fashion. Now obviously there isn't any time to waste while under fire, but this is a prime example of why the 5 point safety check is often taught with open bolt weapon systems. Fortunately the soldier wasn't badly injured and only had his cheek ripped open instead of the back of the 7.62 round impacting his face head on, literally.

If not in combat, place weapon on safe, wait five minutes. Keep weapon pointed down range. After the weapons has cooled open feed cover, remove belt. Close feed tray cover and cycle the weapon manually to extract unfired cartridge. Remember there is another round on the feed tray requiring the weapon to be recycled at least twice to clear all rounds, not allowing the bolt to slam forward. After clearing, open  cover and inspect for ammo.  

Quickest fix is to just change the barrel at that point.

Open the barrel latch on the side & the barrel will slide out. (hook it with the end of the starter tab if you need to)

(remember it's HOT, use the barrel mitt or let it on the ground if time is important)

Slide in new barrel & close the barrel latch.

Each gun is issued with spare barrels.

15 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

If not in combat, place weapon on safe, wait five minutes. Keep weapon pointed down range. After the weapons has cooled open feed cover, remove belt. Close feed tray cover and cycle the weapon manually to extract unfired cartridge. Remember there is another round on the feed tray requiring the weapon to be recycled at least twice to clear all rounds, not allowing the bolt to slam forward. After clearing, open  cover and inspect for ammo.  

Simple enough, but everything is simple when people aren't shooting at you.  What if you ARE in combat?

My guess would have been:  Cycle the action to extract and eject the round in the chamber.  This should leave the bolt in the open position.  ("Open bolt weapon system"?)  Open feed cover. Remove belt.  Close feed cover and cycle action a couple more times, or do what you need to do to clear the malfunction.  Reload.  Maybe too simple, but I have no experience with such weapon systems.  (I wasn't sure if you had to open the feed tray to remove the belt, or if there was an option to remove the belt without opening the feed tray.)  If it were a closed-bolt belt-fed system that could make things more interesting, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing.

13 hours ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

Quickest fix is to just change the barrel at that point.

Open the barrel latch on the side & the barrel will slide out. (hook it with the end of the starter tab if you need to)

(remember it's HOT, use the barrel mitt or let it on the ground if time is important)

Slide in new barrel & close the barrel latch.

Each gun is issued with spare barrels.

IF the problem was a cook-off wouldn't that just leave you with a hot barrel and a chambered round?  What prevents the cook-off?

If someone would like to donate an appropriate firearm and several thousand rounds of ammo I'd be happy to test these theories.  :D

Angus

Archived