SASS Wire Forum

Holster storage

Death rider

Assuming you mean something other than your carry holster reject drawer...

Well, first, if I have have not said it in another thread, welcome! I'm new too.

Right now, my starter rig is upside down on my desk in the office. I don't want it to have pressure in the wrong direction or get a crease from having stuff on top of it. I do still need to get out some dress socks to wrap my revolvers and shove them in to finalize the fit. For that, I will remove the holsters from the belt.

But for long term, I am planning a gun room in my man cave and thought about getting a "waist mannequin" (dressed with a set of cutoff jeans and drop just the entire rig over it). Sadly, those are hard to find though I found a source in China that makes them. But I am going overboard with the idea of a display.

As a practical matter, the holsters could be in a drawer or box with nothing on them to crush them, and the belt could go on the belt rack in the closet.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Assuming you mean something other than your carry holster reject drawer...

Well, first, if I have have not said it in another thread, welcome! I'm new too.

Right now, my starter rig is upside down on my desk in the office. I don't want it to have pressure in the wrong direction or get a crease from having stuff on top of it. I do still need to get out some dress socks to wrap my revolvers and shove them in to finalize the fit. For that, I will remove the holsters from the belt.

But for long term, I am planning a gun room in my man cave and thought about getting a "waist mannequin" (dressed with a set of cutoff jeans and drop just the entire rig over it). Sadly, those are hard to find though I found a source in China that makes them. But I am going overboard with the idea of a display.

As a practical matter, the holsters could be in a drawer or box with nothing on them to crush them, and the belt could go on the belt rack in the closet.

My problem is I have about a dozen different gun belts and holsters, including bandoliers, I have also planned on a full mannequin in the future, but that needs time and money, although the belt rack is something I hadn’t thought of.

I have a panel of pegboard attached to the wall with long,straight "hooks" set high enough from the floor that I can put the peg through t the belt's last hole, and the buckle end not touching the floor.

One peg will hold several rigs.Takes up no floor space and holds a lot of leather.

Choctaw

I'm a holster maker and both the wife and I shoot.  Our normal match leather is hanging from a wall-mounted coat rack with large wooden pegs and the multiple other rigs are hanging on hall trees in my leather shop/reloading room.

The big thing is to put it up high where it's not going to get stepped on or where someone might accidentally sets something on top of your holsters.  Squashed holsters are a bad thing! 

Not about whats best for the holster BUT what looks neat to me!!!!  Ever since I was a kid I was crazy about the looks of a six shooter nestled in its holster and belt hanging from a peg, whether from the mantle, the door, whatever.  That is how I have as many as the wife will bare hanging about the house, in my places.  I have even been known to keep a fake shooter in some of them for looks BUT it must be really lite weight and definitely not a real gun.  I seldom recommend fake shooters, due to their price, but they also are great for helping a holster to hold, or attain, its fit to a gun.  Now run out and rent an old movie called Cimmaron, I think, and watch the early scene of the cowboy asleep in a line shack with his gun hanging beside his bunk on the mantle.  Just makes me feel like a young guy again!!!!

I leave mine on the gunbelt and hang them in the closet with a conventional coat hanger with tennis balls inside the holster to hold the shape.  They are hanging next to my shooting clothes and wild rags, so everything gets laid out at the same time.

All the above are good suggestions.  So far as treatment of the leather is concerned, it will depend on the climate where the leather is stored.  In a damp climate, I would check periodically for mold.  If any appears, you can use saddle soap to remove the mold, followed by a LIGHT application of  a leather conditioner like Lexol (R) or Care4 (R).  In a dry climate, use a conditioner, again LIGHTLY if the leather appears to be drying out.  I live in Colorado, and treat my leather about once or twice a year!

Stay well and safe!

Happy Holidays!

Archived