SASS Wire Forum

Does STREP mean mask don't work?

Trigger Mike

the school mandates mask and social distancing.  Even the football team finally gets it after the second virus case showed up.  

My oldest son is sick with STREP symptoms.   The school told me there are several out with STREP.  If the mask and distancing didn't stop STREP then how is it stopping the china virus?

It's not. Masks won't keep you from getting China Flu, STREP, Regular Flu, etc.

Masks supposedly can help keep you from spreading; myself I don't believe that works either. 

I know of too many people that got in cases where everyone was wearing a mask.

Keep your distance, wash your hands, practice good hygiene, pray, and stay the heck away(10 feet at least) from folks that you know that are at risk.

Probably from drinking from a water fountain. Strep isn't typically airborne but can be caught that way.

From the Mayo Clinic:

The cause of strep throat is bacteria known as Streptococcus pyogenes, also known as group A streptococcus. Streptococcal bacteria are highly contagious. They can spread through airborne droplets when someone with the infection coughs or sneezes, or through shared food or drinks.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/strep-throat/symptoms-causes/syc-20350338#:~:text=The cause of strep throat,through shared food or drinks.

I can't imagine why anyone would catch Strep right now. Surely breathing in all that warm moist air from a cloth mask wouldn't contribute to a bacterial infection...

Strep - mostly from kissing (OMG!) and sharing plates, drinks or food.   Mask or no, you can still easily get strep.   It's highly contagious, just like Covid.   If it's going around, why would you think one your own would not be able to get it?

Good luck, and wish your son a quick recovery.  GJ

Anyone who has ever had to wear a real, sealed, filtering mask, like I did around chemicals I used to work with, knows that these cloth masks are only good for keeping your fingers out of your mouth and nose.  The germs, viruses and bacteria slide right in and out. It is certainly not any kind of magic force field.

Wearing the cloth masks only adds a small amount of protection. 

It is like playing the lottery: your odds of winning the lottery are very slim but they go up a lot if you buy a ticket.

On that basis, I will wear a mask.

Duffield

It just confirms to me that the virus is real, just not as contagious as we gave been led to believe and that the original cdc statement that most would get it but never show symptoms is likely accurate and we might as well stop fretting over it unless we are elderly. 

Unless you are wearing an N95 or KN95 mask you are not protected from the virus. You are simply reducing the chance that you will infect someone else. If EVERYONE wears a mask, the spread is significantly reduced.

Some recent research however indicates that the virus may be airborne, not just contained in droplets as thought.

No good news these days.

Whiskey: if it doesn't prevent infection, how can it prevent spread: they are one and the same.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Every culture where mask wearing was a practice before COVID, did so to prevent spread, not prevent infection.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Whiskey: if it doesn't prevent infection, how can it prevent spread: they are one and the same.

It doesn’t exactly work like that. Think of it like the same reasons you cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze or use a Kleenex.

Neither is this a binary outcome. It’s not ‘perfect prevention spread’, just a moderately useful measure.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Here’s a good video.
https://www.ksn.com/news/health/coronavirus/testing-the-effectiveness-of-masks/

It would have to help prevent infection, otherwise it couldn't help prevent spread. If it doesn't prevent infection ot you OR others, then it is doing exactly nothing. It's like saying you bought a gun to help prevent crime. But until you actually stop a crime with it it has done nothing except make you feel better.

It may be academic anyway as a student on the shotgun team is being tested for the virus as he is sick and lost his sense of taste and smell.  

Strep is rampant here but my son tested negative for strep so he is waiting on the results of the china virus test.  Obviously mask do not do anything but make you feel better like the woman with the broken pistol in st Louis, who was later arrested.  

none of my pistols are broken at this time , im not believing in the masks as anything but a further issue to your health , like the previous flus under the previous presidents ive gotten some and not gotten others , its a crap shoot as all viruses are , i think the masks actually set you up for more complications in the big picture , but if it makes you feel better - go for it , at 70 ive seen small pocks , polio , measils , mumps , rubella , and everything we were exposed to right up thru obamas last term , none of them crippled our economy and closed out our employment , ruined small businesses and put so many minority employed folks back on the public dole as this , seems like there might be a plan here ? cannot for the life of me figure out how we as a people gain by keeping so many from achieving the goals they have set for themselves , its modern day slavery and perpetrated by the "progressive party" which is code for communists and we all know what that reults in dont we ? 

If you are using and cloth mask or anything for a mask and don't wash it daily with something that kills germs, odds are you will get something. My mom (retired nurse) told me they are seeing other problems from people wearing cloth masks and not washing them daily or after each use. Besides you can not truly breath thru them, they just make a build up of germs around your face. Disposable is better but I use mine only when I think I need to, not so much at the governments command. Unless we all start wear hazmat suits with air tanks, we will always be at risk. (Suits have to be cleaned after use also)

amen to this - just common sense to those that use a C-pap [please forgive any error - i do not] cleaning prevents diseases ,

we condemned smoking then mandated masks ? what part of the lung function dont we get ? 

We wash the mask faithfully every day for all of the children.   I hand wash mine myself most of the time and sometimes my wife washes it in the machine.   I get the science of mask usage but I also know that medical staff who wear a mask all day still get the virus and my son is sick with something and wears it all day except for football practice but no players are sick with anything.   Other students are out this week with other sicknesses and 1 probable china virus and my son possibly.   

To me we need to ditch the mask and go to school or work or the store like a normal people.   They are likely making things worse. 

What's also interesting is the virus test takes 3 to 5 days to come back.  He is already better this morning and Lord willing will be fine by the time we get the results.   What is more is they said take him home and treat it like any cold, fluids and rest and over the counter meds based on his symptoms so I mostly just give im a shot glass half full with honey and brandy heated for 15 seconds. 

Strep is easily transferred from surfaces. Including door knobs.

Open door, touch face or rub eyes or pick up and eat snack. Done.

Masks can't do anything about that form of transmission.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Strep - mostly from kissing (OMG!) and sharing plates, drinks or food.   Mask or no, you can still easily get strep.   It's highly contagious, just like Covid.   If it's going around, why would you think one your own would not be able to get it?

Good luck, and wish your son a quick recovery.  GJ

yes indeed , but we never shut the country down and ruined the economy and so many lives because of it have we ? why in the name of all thats holy are we allowing this to continue ? 

Archived