SASS Wire Forum

Zippo comments

Chili Ron

Howdy,,

If you don't care for Zippos just skip to the next topic....

I ordered one of the single Zippo display holders.

Its just the slickest stand for holding one lighter where you can see it.

I also tried one of the paracord pouches.  What they don't mention is

the thing is a good deal bigger than I expected.

The size of a small pager.  And I doubt I would ever unwrap it and 

use it for the cord....  I would like to hear if anyone does. 

Expensive cord for sure.

And.....I bought one of the all black Ace of Spades Zippos.

Very cool and it seems smaller probably because its black.

It would be a pain to find if dropped in the woods.

Well that's it for finding something to do while waiting for a C19 cure.

Best

CR

The stand is a standard zippo product. Currently available from zippo.

tactical boss has some on ebay for about 5 shipped. that might be boss tactical...whatever.

And its a bit magnetic to hold onto the lighter. 

Much better than having the lighter just laying around.

If I have noting else I put my American Flag zippo on it.

cr

Sorry Chili Ron, I thought we were going to get some outlandish expose from Alpo's cousin! :blush:

I carried a Zippo daily for years until I quit smoking in 2006.  I sold about $500 worth of collectible lighters a few years ago.  I still have quite a few with firearms company logos on them.  Got a couple of vintage Winchester themed lighters from the 50s that might be worth a little bit.  

I have a few Zippo lighters from when I used to smoke as well. My favorite, and I have no idea where it is right now or I would make a photo, is the slim line Zippo with my ships logo on it. It is banged up and scratched up from use. I got it when I first boarded the USS Virginia CGN-38. I carried it for years until one day I left it at a bar and the bartender tracked me down through friends to get it back to me. 

I never considered displaying it. Thank you for the idea, Chili Ron. :D

Still have the Zippo I carried over in Nam. believe or not. Great treasure/ keepsake.

43 minutes ago, Chato said:

Still have the Zippo I carried over in Nam. believe or not. Great treasure/ keepsake.

I foolishly lost mine years ago. Had my name, 7th Cav crest and a Huey on it. :(:(

I collected zippos for years. lost most of them when my house burned down in 2010. Started getting a few here and there but nothing that is of any value really. I just quit smoking and have no clue what to do with them. I had to put them away for now because just seeing them makes me want to light up right now.  lol

I never smoked but I came across a Zippo lighter I just had to have.  It is a Cleveland Indians model with Chief Wahoo in full color.  The seal is unbroken, the price sticker is still on it, the lighter with its paperwork lies in the tray, the tray sits in the tin box, and the tin box is in the sleeve.  It will stay in my dresser drawer until my estate sale.

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I collected zippos for years. lost most of them when my house burned down in 2010. Started getting a few here and there but nothing that is of any value really. I just quit smoking and have no clue what to do with them. I had to put them away for now because just seeing them makes me want to light up right now.  lol

Nicotine lozenges really help with that. I use the 2mg ones cut in half from Costco. 

Howdy,

There are some collectors who make some fancy bids on zippo.

I watched a brass one with locomotive start at one dollar and get bid

to $145. It had all stickers and box and papers.

A brass one with eagle on it bid to $15.50.

Its all about condition. Like with guns or cars.

If pards have some they would like to sell pm me and lets not run

afowl of SASS rules.

Of course there is ebay if we cant deal.

If you have sentimental attachment to one or some, keep em.

I usually buy to KEEP.  I rarely sell. My favorites are moon landing ones.

And a few western ones.

Best

CR

A lot of fake Vietnam era Zippos on the Internet. It’s an industry in Vietnam now.

I've got the one I carried in Nam. It has my first name and my wife's first name, we were not married then. I came back stateside in '67. I also have one that's quite a bit older NIB.

I would probably sell that one if somebody wanted it.

kR

I have a close friend from my soldiering days who collects Zippo lighters. I picked him up one from the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait when I was deployed. To this day I wish I had gotten two. Even though I'm not a smoker, I've always thought they were cool, and would like to have at least one.

I like Zippos but since I never smoked they weren't worth keeping on hand because they needed regular filling whether you used them or not.  But recently I discovered they have butane and electric cartridges available.  Now I just need to find all those cool zippos I've collected over the years. 

Archived